what to use a second backup camera for ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazybob

I'm in the process of ordering a wireless back up camera. The unit I'm purchasing has the option to connect a second camera. I plan to install the camera up high which I feel will cover everything I need to see. So, what would be the reason to have a second camera ?  :-\

Just ordered a Garmin GPS that also offers a wireless backup camera.  Since my RV already has a wired unit, I was thinking of using mine to put on the rear of my trailer.  Hopefully it will give me some additional input when merging or changing lanes.  I am always worried about cutting someone off.  Here in Ohio, we seem to have our share of drivers that would rather speed up and block people than slow down a little to let someone in.

I know the wired system I have offers the option of a total of three cameras.  Rear and usually two side camera.  The side cameras can be triggered with the turn signals so to see down the side of the RV.

I have two cameras mounted high on the rear of our coach. One camera shows the long view of the toad and traffic behind us, while the other one shows the full width of the rear bumper and back about 10 feet. The "bumper view" is great for backing into tight spots without a spotter, and also for checking on the tow hookup while underway.

Thanks for the input guys ! I think that for my needs, the one up high should work for me at this point, but I'll know more after I see just what the camera will cover for me. I'll use it mainly for launching my boat.

My Wired system came with a 2nd input.. Alas the custom plug was a bit of an issue but being a certified electronics technician not that much (it now takes standard RCA connectors on the "B" side)  Driving a Gasser as I do it's a good 20 feet or more from the driver's seat to the fuel cap...

The camera is directly below the fuel filler... When I pull into a gas station I switch to the "B" input (Full color no less) and when the pump is in the center of the screen.. Well, that's where I hit PARK and step out to fill up. Perfect alignment every time since I installed that bolt cam.  (The camera I used was a 'Bolt" camera, it is one of many security cameras.. Single hole flush mount..Looks like the peep hole in a hotel room door from the outside  WORKS GREAT.

Eventually I'll put some side cameras (Rear facing) on the mirrors and a switch network but I'm not where near there yet.

Back
Top Bottom