Winter travel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hankpac

Wow.
We left southeast Oregon 2 days after Christmas. Roads were open, and only spots of ice now and then on US 140. Dougherty Slide, east of Adel: 8% Steep, with a corner at the bottom, so You cannot make a decent run at it. I-80 at Winemuca was open, all the way to Salt Lake, with a strong wind from the north, affecting sway and fuel economy. bitter cold. After topping out east of Salt Lake, and Evanston, we began to pick up ice and snow on the road. Entering Nebraska was all snow for almost the entire run of I-80 across the state. Heavy snows and very slick ice near Sydney, so we spent the evening at Cabella's, and the night at Bear's CG. 12 degrees.
Next morning, on my birthday (12/30) the roads where slick as, well, ice. There were big rigs and suvs in all the ditches and medians about 1 or 2 per mile, for over 150 miles. We drove at 25 mph for 4 hours, in a long line of big rigs. Saw several people pass us, and then passed them in the ditch a mile or two later.
Freezing rain, with trees and greass covered with ice an inch thick, breaking limbs of trees from about 50 miles east of Kearney, to just west of Omaha. road was slick, but improving. never saw another RV going east, saw several 5th wheels going west once we got to dry road.
Glad that is over. After we see the new grandbaby, we are headed south to Alabama. Gotta do a few repair.
The truck tracked well, only slipped once, and after I dropped the load levelers to two links never slipped again. New 2006 Quad Cab 4 WD 2500 Dodge, Cummins deisel. Pullin' son of a gun!
About 7500 lbs for the trailer, and the bed has an ATV, and other junk in it. Plenty of power to spare.

Some trip! Thanks for describing it. That's one way to get some RV excitement!  :eek:

If I had done that, the RV might be OK, but I would be an absolute wreck! Been that route a few times in a car, in the winter. Seen the slide-offs! That's exciting enough for me!

What percentage of the way did you use the 4WD, for surer traction?

How was the ride, down from Cheyenne to Sydney?

Ray D

Cheyenne to Syney was slippery. I used 4WD almost all the time on ice. I only shut it off when I was tesing. I wanted power from the front as well as the back at all times. the Dodge 2500 is shift on the fly, and can go up to 55 in 4 WD, according to the manual. The truckers were quite helpful on the CB, if you cna get past the occasional guy who can't talk in words of more than 4 letters.
I was just hoping to make it to Sydney, since I had decided that it was getting too slippery about 50 miles before. I got there at 4:0 pm, just before dark, and the temp had dropped to about 12 or 14 degrees. I was so glad to see Cabella's. We contacted our Church in town there, and they told us of members who have an RV park there (Bear's Family RV Park). I was really glad to turn on the heating blanket on my bed, for a change. Walmart is cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom