Tree trimming - a profitable sideline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
As we left this morning, our driver decided to take the circuitous route around the campground, rather than the direct route to the exit. Half way around, I heard the telltale sound that told me I'd forgotten to lower the batwing antenna. Got out and looked skyward, and the batwing had taken on a new shape, thanks to a low-hanging tree that now had a haircut.

The gears on the batwing were replaced just before we left on this trip, and now need replacing again. This morning I'd made a mental note to stow the antenna, but got distracted when the hose connection to the macerator pump gave way as I began to dump.

I removed and lowered the antenna and its now-floppy arms. The cable entry through the roof of the coach was exposed, and it was raining. The only sealant I had available was a tube of "marine goop", but this stuff is not meant for this purpose, and each time I applied a large blob, it merely flowed away. I figured we'd eventually escape the rain, which we did. Meanwhile, I have a few more items on my fix-it list.

Don't feel alone Tom. What I did was I hang on the crank some type of small trinket suspended a couple of inches using a piece of yarn. When we extend the antenna, we take it off the crank and hook on a small eye hook above one of the slide out switches. Come time to leave and while closing the slides, this is a tell tale reminder to retract the antenna then we rehang the trinket again on the crank.

Aye Rene, I normally either hang a bungie on the crank handle, or clip a reminder on the steering wheel. I guess I was too lazy to do either one yesterday.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/antenna-saver/69164

Mine hangs from the driver's sun visor. When the antenna is stowed and we're driving, it gets tucked under a sunglasses clip.

Since we were passing Camping World today, I thought we'd stop and pick up antenna parts, but no go; There was no room to park, because their parking lot was full of RVs waiting for service. I'll probably get them online.

Oh Tom, your recent batwing event reminds me not to be so frustrated with  my hubby as  he requires  BOTH of us do a  complete walk around rig before departure , every time.  Last departure I just looked down  one side of rig (kinda like  being lazy)  Much to my dismay he  asked  me to look the  whole  way  around looking up and down.  I guess he is right.

Takes so little time and you are right  ANY distraction in  the routine can leave out a critical step!  Good luck on the fix.

Tom, I feel your pain!  A list of my "errors" would rival "War and Peace" for length.  Fortunately, our RV has a red warning light on the dash that lights when you turn the ignition key with the antenna raised.  Since you have to spend some time on the roof, you might think about putting a similar warning system in yours.  A switch, led light and a little wire "fishing" while your on the roof and you would have to ignore the glowing red light to have a repeat of the "antenna art." 

Regardless, you can turn this into a funny self deprecating story with just a little embellishment!

Jim

Yep. Easy to do. I have a red light on the dash for the batwing also, but when I put the Travler antenna on, I started the habit of storing the ignition key under the control box for the Travler. I don't put it up without putting the key "away", and I don't take the key without putting the antenna down. So far I've been lucky.

Ken

A switch, led light and a little wire "fishing" while your on the roof and you would have to ignore the glowing red light to have a repeat of the "antenna art." 

I'll certainly give that some thought Jim, thanks.

... you can turn this into a funny self deprecating story with just a little embellishment!

I thought I already did  ???

Aye Betty, Terry is right on. The Ruwards were sticklers for checking and then checking each other.

I put a close pin on the antenna crank handle when the antenna is down and move it to the air brake release when it is up. A sure reminder.

utahclaimjumper said:
  ;) Must be an age thing.>>>Dan

Just joining the forgetful club Dan. The one we all join sooner or later.

Here's how forum member George Mullen managed to avoid forgetting things before moving off (see photo).

The annotation "one for Shayne" is a reference to passed forum member Shayne who left his wife behind at a fuel stop  :eek:

Attachments

• Reminders on steering wheel.jpg
    Reminders on steering wheel.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 38
Jeff, I think you don't understand that "boat people" can't grasp the concept of a TREE growing in the very spot they wish to travel.>>>Dan

Jeff, I think you don't understand that "boat people" can't grasp the concept of a TREE growing in the very spot they wish to travel.

Let me take you on a tour of our local waterways and show you the receipts for the repair of numerous bent props  ;)  OTOH some of those unexpected "trees" stopped growing some time ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom