24' Class C mpg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keyman

When we retire, we hope to get a used 24' class C motorhome ( 2000 - 2005 ). Gas mileage is rather high on our list of priorities ( of course it isn't our top priority ). It seems that everyone says that the Ford v10 gets lousy gas mileage, so we will be looking for a motorhome with a Chevy 6.0 or 454. I have talked to several RV owners of each size engine and they all say the same thing, 10 to 12 mpg. This surprised me. I assumed the 454 would get less mpg than a 6.0. I also assume the 454 will have more power (we will be towing a jeep wrangler). I am hoping that this RV Community will respond with the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me ( please ).

There are more important factors in choosing an RV than fuel economy.  We are full timers and fuel is about 25% of our operating costs, so a difference of 1 or 2 MPG is very small in the total cost.  Look for a livable floor plan, and since you're going to be towing, sufficient capacity in GCVWR to tow your Wrangler.  Engine would be way down on my list of considerations.

We had a 1987 Class C 24-foot, Chevy engine (no clue on size). We got 6-9 mpg average, 10 on a really good day when we were heading out of Colorado on a downhill run. Gas mileage is something to consider but is certainly not the major concern.

My 38', 26000 lb. class A with a Ford 460 gets between 6 and 8 mpg, depending a lot on roads traveled, wind, and speed. But, as was said before, mileage shouldn't be a major concern; personal comfort, space, and aesthetics are far more important.

Our MH yeilds aout 6.8 MPG and if the main reason for settling on a MH is MPH   PLAIN and SIMPLE  you can't afford a MH>  I call it as it is.

Also Keyman, I'm curious as to what draws you to a 24' model?  That's pretty small in the scheme of motorhomes, and a larger model could provide much more space and would not affect the mpg all that much.  As you've seen in this thread so far, 6-10mpg is a pretty common average.  From the reading I've done, I've learned that the speed you drive (55 vs. 65-70) has much more of an impact on fuel economy compared to the size of the rig. 

It seems that everyone says that the Ford v10 gets lousy gas mileage, so we will be looking for a motorhome with a Chevy 6.0 or 454. I have talked to several RV owners of each size engine and they all say the same thing, 10 to 12 mpg. This surprised me. I assumed the 454 would get less mpg than a 6.0. I also assume the 454 will have more power (we will be towing a jeep wrangler).

The Ford V10 (in its various versions), the Chevy 454 and the Chevy 8.1L all get very similar mileage, which will be in the 6-10 mpg range depending on a host of factors. The  Chevy 6.0L is probably no advantage either, since smaller engines tend to labor more under heavy loads and may actually produce worse mileage than the larger block engines. For an RV of year 2000 or later vintage, I would expect to see a minimum of 7 mpg and most likely in the 7-8 range. The smaller Class C's may reach the 9-10 range.

If mpg is a big concern, look into diesel powered rigs - they should delivery 20-25% more fuel mileage than a gas engine, though fuel cost will also be higher in most regions. There are several brands of diesel-powered Class C's and you can get  a larger rig and still get better mileage.

I have a 1991 Tioga class C, w/ ford 460 and fuel injection, and now in our 10th year with it - we love it.
my best mileage is keeping it under 65mph, and easy on the foot - 9mpg is best I can get.
IF I drive it harder, and up to 75 mph on the perfect freeway conditions, I'll get about 8 mpg.
I would sincerely doubt any claims of a V-8 or V-10 getting double digits without a full-blown Banks system, or comparable.
I keep my new Michelins aired up properly, and service the engine regularly, with frequent oil changes, filters etc.
over 10 mpg on an average should not be expected with a class C.
good luck.

I have a 1998 Allegro on the Chevy chassis with a 454 gas engine.  I get about 7-10 mpg, depending on how fast I drive and the road conditions and whether or not I run the genset while on the road.  As Gary said, most of the gas motorhomes get in the same range of fuel economy.  I know several people who have gas rigs who get about the same mileage as me and about what Gary has stated.  Again, as others have said, it shouldn't be a huge consideration in which coach to buy.  Picking one that you are comfortable with and that will meet your needs is much more important.

Dan

Maybe it's the wrong attitude but when I was looking, mileage was the least of my worries. There are much more potential expenses to be aware of, IMO. And what good is a rig that gets 15 mpg that you're not crazy about while we like our RV and get 9 mpg? I agree with most here, mileage would be about the last thing I'd consider. Lay-out, functionality, overall condition - much more important.

When the DW and I started looking at MH's, our main issue was the floor plan. We started with the class "A's", and wound up with a 24' class "C" on a Ford chassis with the V-10.

We looked at allot of models. And this may sound silly, but I wanted a floor plan that would be comfortable enough to actually watch TV, without straining my neck or back. We found the floor plan in a 2007 Coachmen Concord 235SO. Who'da thunk?

Find your floor plan first, then think power. That is what we did, and we are not Ford fan's by any stretch of the imagination. But that is all that was offered, and that is what we got. And we are very happy, especially while both of us are relaxing in the evening watching the news in strain free comfort. ;D

Getting what you like and what you can afford are the important things. Sounds like you've got what works for you. We had a 24-foot Class C for 14 years and it worked great for us.

wendycoke said:
Getting what you like and what you can afford are the important things. Sounds like you've got what works for you. We had a 24-foot Class C for 14 years and it worked great for us.

It took us a few months just to try to figure out class A or C. We both liked the size of the A's, but only found one with a floor plan we actually liked. And it was a beauty, but it was gas, and tilted the scales weight wise when empty. It needed a diesel to push it down the road imho. And it was just to much money, I wanted to stay under a 100 grand.

That is when I stumbled on this little Coachmen. It had the floor plan, and could go anywhere due to it's small size. And with the slide out, whoaa... An incredible amount of room in the living area. And did I say it can go almost anywhere?

With just the two of us and the dog, it is perfect. We are planning to take off this weekend to tour the Michigan shoreline. Looks like we will be boondocking it this weekend! ;D

Back
Top Bottom