Extending Awning Depth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZagRacing

Hey Folks,

So my 1998 Damon has a A&E Awning 8500 series.

Its about 18 feet wide and the material depth is about 8 feet.

The material is shot and I am going to replace it with a new top but I have a question.
We live in Vegas where its almost exclusively sunny - all day, every day.

I want more shade capacity and wanted to ask if it is possible to put a deeper canopy on the awning?
Instead of the 8 foot depth, I wanted to go to 10 or even 12 feet. Is this possible?

Meaning do the mechanics of the awning allow it to pull out longer than 8 feet?
Has anyone done this to create a deeper shade?

Thanks
Bernie

I'll bet that you'll find your rafter poles are too short..... you might be able to stretch it a few inches put I'll bet not too much.

Have you seen the aftermarket extensions?  Some are shade screen material that extends down from the awnings edge to the ground.  I think I remember seeing one that drops down only a foot or two like a visor for that late afternoon low angled sun.

Carefree makes a wider awning as an option for their powered awnings, but I think it adds a spring assist. I've not heard of a wider fabric for an A&E (Dometic) awning.

I think  the arms of the 8500 will extend enough further (you might have to drill a few new holes for the arm lock device). And I suspect you would have to wind the torsion spring tighter, just as you do for the longer awnings. The weight and bulk of the material is a factor that the spring has to handle.

I don't see much reason not to try it, at least a couple extra feet. At worst, you have to leave a few turns on  the roller tube, though that covers up the accessory slot (where you hang lights or a vertical shade). And you could always have the fabric shortened if it didn't work out. Any commercial sewing shop could trim off a couple feet and re-stitch the bead pocket. It's maybe 30-60 minutes work if you take the fabric off and bring to the shop.

Back
Top Bottom