1st time direct tv failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPForumDog

after 30 yrs of charter we switched to direct tv so we could have tv on the road.  Direct tv was installed in our home last week.  We bought the extra DVR and dish. Today  we take the extra dish and dvr to the rv which is being stored away from our residence.    We used the zip code coordinated to point the satellite.  The dvr comes keeps saying. A satelite can't be detected (771 error message)  We have checked and rechecked the cabELing. We have pointed and repointed and the dish,No LUck.    We have an hr24 dvr receiver and a slimline dIsh.    We did not get to choose the setup (it's greyed out) because se it's plug and play and the  setup automatically made that decision.
IIt's an old rv .... No fancy internal wiring.  The wire from the dish goes into the rv straight into a swm and from there goes into the dvr .  Pretty simple.  All cables look good and tight.

THe satellite setup screen says
dush type: 17: slimline 3s (swm)
switch type.  01:swm
tuners: dual
under signal strength we have 32  total at 101 and  all of the 32 transponders have nothing but zeros
under signal meters both tuner 1 and tuner 2 say not acquiring

we called directtv and the lady said we would need to call an rv repairman????

Any and all help appreciated
GrannyDP

By pass any cabling in the trailer and wire direct from dish to receiver.  RV cabling can be RG59, have cheap unreliable splitters or OTA antenna power supplies, any of which will kill the sats signal.  Does it work now?  Oops, I see your set to SWM?  Do you have the correct power supply in line.  Take a picture of how things are wired at home and duplicate that in your RV.  What part of the country do you live in?

Is the cable from the satellite dish plugged into the proper port on the power inserter?  Is the power inserter have the green light on?

What receiver do you have in your sticks and bricks?  Do you have the same portable satellite dish as the one at your sticks and bricks?

When I set up our portable dish, the most important thing is getting the base level, then I set the the elevation and skew on the dish, and aim the dish in the approximate azimuth.  Then turn the dish a little left or right to tune it in.  If I dont get a signal doing that, I then pull back on the dish a little, and swing through the arc again.  Seldom has that not worked.

Hopefully, this helps.

You have to pair a SWM capable satellite with a SWM capable receiver. We just went through all that.

That is a dish with a SWM output? The SWM signal and standard signal are not the same even though they use the same cabling. I have had to learn more about SWM the last week than I ever though I would have to know at the hands of a $100 an hour installer.

Kim

Definitely bypass the cabling in the RV.  Cable and TV splitters in your RV which you can't see or find are probably for older cable and stop at passing signal at 1000mhz. 

The satellite sends signals in the 2250mhz to 2450mhz range. 

If you do need to get splitters, make sure they go as high as 3000mhz.

Ok, do you have the power inserter installed?
Did not see in materials bought.
Your SWM dish requires a a power supply between it and your receiver.

Call Direct back they never failed to help me.Some of there people know more than others.Is your box set to the right type dish?Mine with 18 inch round dish does not need a power inserter.

I would suggest you look at the dish pointing before doing a lot of extra work. With DirecTV it usually does not matter what zip code you plug into the receiver. HOWEVER, it will give you the pointing directions. You will need to have the correct azimuth, elevation and skew. The SWM oval dish will only allow about 1 degree off while the older dishes will allow about 3 degrees off. This takes some practice to get the technique down. The Dish MUST be level from the start. This is usually where the No Satellite Signal problems come from. We use the Dish Pointing website, satfinder, for the pointing information to set our up when needed. Chuck

What brand of dish do you have and what is it's shape?  Round or oval?  The dish has to match what you've subscribed to, e.g. SD or HD.  For example, we have an RF Mogul (roof-mounted) elongated oval dish to receive HDTV signals from DirecTV.  It's quite a bit larger than a round dish.

ArdraF

I have a dedicated directv receiver in our FW and when it isn't used on a regular basis (I believe it's greater than 30 days) I, too, get the error code 771. I call the 800 number for directv customer service and after verifying some phone number information I am asked what extension I want. I then say "771" and the computer does a reset of the system and all is well. 

Back
Top Bottom