Availability of free spots in Arizona in January??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carterc1978

I got some good info from everyone on my last post, so im going to try again. Im thinking of starting my new full timing life in January or February by heading South to Arizona. I need to rent out my home in northern Utah before i go but want to make sure ive got somewhere to go to when a renter is found. 

Im hoping to get some good advice from some experienced Southwestern boondockers.  Im still in my researching phase, so im not sure where exactly i want to go.  It needs to be free camping and preferably above freezing so i can de-winterize and start using the system. Is there going to he good availability or would i be better off waiting it out til March or April?

Without giving away your most treasured locations, id really appreciate hearing about some specific locations or atleast some areas with multiple free spots that i could start looking into. 

There are millions of free places in Quartzsite in January. This forum is having a rally at the end of January. You should attend and meet some forum members. You will have a great time. And the weather will be great.

Our section is not free though.  It's $40 for 14 days or there's a long term rate.  There are other free boondocking areas around Quartzsite but the fee at La Posa provides access to the dump station and fresh water which you do not have in the free areas; those are strictly dry camping with no amenities available.  Water and dumping are seldom free in the desert.  Sooner or later you will have to pay someone for sewer and water.

ArdraF

The Long term fee in the LTVA LaPosa (where the Forum meets) is $180.00 which covers the entire season - 9/15 through 4/15

ArdraF said:
Our section is not free though.  It's $40 for 14 days or there's a long term rate.  There are other free boondocking areas around Quartzsite but the fee at La Posa provides access to the dump station and fresh water which you do not have in the free areas; those are strictly dry camping with no amenities available.  Water and dumping are seldom free in the desert.  Sooner or later you will have to pay someone for sewer and water.

ArdraF
You are right of course Ardra. They could camp in a free spot and still attend the rally.

LTVA area (Long Term Visitors Area) is the free access to the dump and water stations.
In the free area you'll have to drive to town and pay to dump and fill up on water.
If you going to be there for awhile the LTVA could be cheaper.

My big concern was being able to find a spot at all that time of year down there. Doesnt sound like that would be a problem.

Any other areas to suggest? Id like to be able to jump around a little within a hundred mile radius or so and stay at some different sites to take in some different scenery and hiking if possible.

Back
Top Bottom