Can our V6 tow this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hard to tell the tow capacity of the Super Cab without knowing the axle ratio.  I'd be willing to guess that it's a bit higher than the V6 model. 

I'd also bet that Gary or Carl could give you worst case numbers based on the tallest ratio installed in that truck. 

The 2005 F-150 Supercab 5.4L with a towing package and a 3.55 rear axle ratio is rated to tow a maximum of 8,600 lbs. and with the 3.73 rear axle ratio it is rated to tow a maximum of 9,500 lbs.  That is considerably more that the Heritage V-6.

Dan

What happens when he goes out for milk?

In the short run, you really are better off with more truck.  Makes the whole buying process easier, increases choices. 

Hey PancakeBill, wanna buy a nice cow?  ;D

Forget the new truck. We've been checking values on Kelly Blue Book site and there's no way unless they want to make us one hellava deal (which we seriously doubt).  Too bad. Love that truck. Hate our truck now!!  :mad:

OK Kurt, I promised I'd get back with that answer about Keystone. We never had to deal with Keystone because the dealer took the trailer back. Although now the dealer is having problems with Keystone. They wanted Keystone to buy the trailer back because it was a manufacturing defect that caused the problem. Keystone said since they sold the unit, they were no longer responsible. The dealer said, "You don't understand. Two days after getting it home, they discovered the trailer had a fatal flaw, they called us, stopped payment on the check and immediately returned the trailer."  The dealer wants Keystone to come get it. Last I heard it's still a standoff!

So back to my truck/trailer problem..........  So you all think even the SV-234 is too heavy too?  I'm beginning to think the odds are against us on this whole camping thing.

So back to my truck/trailer problem..........   So you all think even the SV-234 is too heavy too?  I'm beginning to think the odds are against us on this whole camping thing.

Look you have gotten balled up by falling for a particular trailer.   Go back to step one:

1.  Determine the exact tow rating of your truck.  Since that depends on the rear end ratio, get a dealer or a Ford mechanic to tell you what yours is.   

2.   Look up the rating in the Ford website or the Trailer Life website -- that's what we do.

3.   If you would tow in the mountain or Pacific west take 80% of that fiigure, if not then take 90%.   

4.   With the resulting number start looking for trailers that have a GVWR less than it.    You can fiind the GVWR on the DOT plate required to be posted on the trailer, usually on the left side front.   You can also see it listed on the mfr websites sometimes as dry weight + carrying capacity.  Manufacturer brochures will also list it.   No other source of GVWR can be trusted -- especially the salesman source.

5.   With your number, shop RV shows.  They are particularly valuable in your kind of search.   The next best thing is going around dealership yards.

Look at the light weight TTs,  24 feet on down, and the hybrids -- I think you will have your best luck with the hybribs

Unfortunately nothing replaces leg work here.

Presumably he got the GVWR from the RVIA weight tag or the Ferderal DOT weight tag, both of which are displayed on the trailer. Likewise for the UWV (Unladen Vehicle Weight). Here is Keystone's explanation of the content of those tags: Weight tag info

You must use the actual weight information supplied for the trailer, now that it is available. It's not unusual for it to be somewhat more than what is shown in sales brochures, which are printed in advance of production and seldom include any options, even factory installed ones.

So you all think even the SV-234 is too heavy too?
The 5480 GVWR is just inside your max tow capacity and barely leaves room for a passenger (you) in the truck. So if you stay within the trailer & truck GVWR, you are legal, though outside of our recommended 10% margin. To the extent that you stay below the GVWR, you may have some margin, though. Only you can decide if this is OK - our recommended margins aren't gospel but they do represent years of accumulated wisdom.  And the smaller the truck, the more important the 10% margin becomes to your enjoyment.

I'm beginning to think the odds are against us on this whole camping thing.
The odds? No, I don't think so, It's just that you want a nice trailer but have a really wimpy truck. Sort of like champagne tastes and a beer budget.  Your driving a minivan with an open box on the back and want it to perform like a big truck - ain't gonna happen.

Same as trying to cook 5gal of clam chowder and only have a 2 quart pan with ingreidience for a pint.  Scrap the idea and listen to the pros for they know what they are talking about.,

Yes, you've summed up my life in one sentence -- "Champagne taste on a beer budget!" 

The gear ratio of our truck is 3.55 and I'm looking at the "Ford 2004 RV & Trailer Towing Guide" on my desk as I type. The truck is rated to pull 5,700#. 

We actually started out looking at hybrids, but didn't really care for them. Really thought we'd be ok with the lightweight trailers, but what starts out at a low dry weight adds up fast. Believe me, we've done our share of looking. I've taken pictures of so many campers, we've read books about buying rv's, we went to the rv show last year and are going again this year. I have such a stack of brochures you wouldn't believe!  It's not that I have my heart set on one particular trailer. I'm just trying to find the floorplan we like in a light enough trailer. Evidently I need to look further.  :(  I'm open to suggestions.

I feel your pain Trudy.

I went through the very same exercise, less many of the frustrations.

I have a good deal on a used Class A to offer you if that helps any!  ;D

Hang in...you'll find something.

Trudy,

Have you seen R-Vision's Max-Lite series?  http://www.trail-lite.com/max-lite-lightweight-travel-trailers.asp

Thanks Kurt, for offering to unload your Class A on us!  ;D  Had I not read your previous posts, I might have been interested!!  LOL

Yes, we've been in a couple of the Max-Lights. Wasn't bad, but we weren't crazy about the floorplan available in the smaller size we need.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

I bet many of the posters have a "suggestion" or two for my be now!!  ;)

RV Roamer - Oh my, my husband could never wait another year! We've already been looking for a year. Well, seriously looking since August anyway. He's going to see what kind of a deal he could get on the truck I mentioned earlier, but we're not expecting much. We'll see........

Stay tuned for Chapter II.

Good luck Trudy.

I started this post by offering several sentences of opinionated babble, only to realize that it's not my decision here!

It seems that you guys are really in an emotional Togo's over this.  I wish you patience, clarity of thought, and sound mind.

My best,

Kurt

RV Roamer - Oh my, my husband could never wait another year! We've already been looking for a year. Well, seriously looking since August anyway. He's going to see what kind of a deal he could get on the truck I mentioned earlier, but we're not expecting much. We'll see........

I sympathize with the itch to get a new RV [I just scratched that itch myself!], but you are better off waiting than buying something you aren't happy with right from the git-go.  It is foolish to buy something you don't really like because it is horrendously expensive to trade up in a year or two.

Good luck getting the bigger truck - maybe it will work out if your hubby bargains hard. Truck sales are slow in the winter and the whole year has been slow on truck sales, so maybe they will deal.

Meanwhile, keep checking floor plans and weights. Somewhere there is a rig for you!!

Hey! I'm baaaack! Ok, let's try again. What do you think about an R-Vision 21' Trail Cruiser?  Dry weight (with installed opions) is 3051, GVW 5277, ccc 2037#.  I KNOW we won't take over 2000# with us.  ;D

Trudy

Well, by now you ought to have the arithmetic down pat. Your absolute max tow capacity is 5700, you know our suggested safety margins (10% or 20%) and you know you have to subtract anything you carry in the truck besides the driver & fuel.  So have you figured it out?

One of the things folks never consider when buying a truck is what they really want to do with it.  Trucks haul big stuff seems to be a common thought.  When considering a truck consider ulltimate use.  If for camping get a good idea of what you want in a camper.  Then get weights, THEN get a truck to handle it. 

There are campers out there to fit to 1/2 ton trucks, but selection is small.  Check out Passport, this is new in the market.  There are also some neat little toy haulers, but not in your requirements. 

Back to your question, the R-Vision is a decent unit, buddy of mine back in RI has one, we have had them on the lot.  Couple nice floorplans and the company is now owned by the Monaco group.  Brings a lot of backing to the line.

Back
Top Bottom