HOW TO TOW A 2005 LINCOLN AVIATOR/FOR EXPLORER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amen

Anyone ever tow this before? Or a Ford Explorer? AWD? Suggestions how to tow? 4 flat? Dolly?

The actual YEAR, the weight of some motor vehicles  and the tow vehicle to be used can make a big difference on whether or not the vehicle is towable or not!!

Then there is always Remco for a good source of info: http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

On edit: Opps, I see you did specify the year.... 2005

It says tow with a trailer  :-\ I'd rather tow four flat.. Might have to get another tow vehicle.

Are you asking about a tow vehicle or a toad. (a towed vehicle that is behind the MH)?

Many of us tow varius models of Jeeps.  Manyjeeps can be towed 4 down because the 4 wheel drive models have a transfer case that can disengage the drive line.

However there are many others that can be towed also.

Years back we towed a Ford Explorer with a Remco drive shaft disconnect worked really well.

HueyPilotVN said:
Are you asking about a tow vehicle or a toad. (a towed vehicle that is behind the MH)?

Many of us tow varius models of Jeeps.  Manyjeeps can be towed 4 down because the 4 wheel drive models have a transfer case that can disengage the drive line.

However there are many others that can be towed also.
Can you explain the difference between a towed vehicule and a toad ? Just give us a plain explanation.

... and a tow vehicle tows something, such as a trailer or fifthwheel.

For the toad, there are a lot of possibilities for 4-down... but any vehicle towed in that fashion will require equipment to be installed.  Base plate and light controls at the very least, maybe driveshaft disconnect and tranny fluid pump (rare but sometimes needed).  Some cars/SUV's are ready to go just by putting the transmission in neutral and/or pulling a certain fuse.  Chevy Cavalier, Honda Civic, Geo/Chevy Tracker or its cousin Suzuki Sidekick, various models of Jeep as mentioned above are all popular models of toads that I have read about here.

When I had a motorhome and towed a toad (see how that term came about? ;)), I always used a tow dolly.  It requires a little "ground work" to load/unload the car, but is much more versatile in that you can tow pretty much any FWD vehicle on the dolly without any equipment installed.

i have a 2004 Ford Explorer which we flat tow behind our motorhome.  First it must be 4 wheel drive, not AWD. AWD cannot be flat towed.
You must have a NTK (neutral tow kit) installed to get to Neutral in the transfer case.
Then finally, due to the Explorer weight, you should have a motorhome capable of towing 10,000 lbs as it would be tough on one only rated for 5000.
Our motorhome does not really feel it is there.

We like the Explorer.  It does double duty towing my 24 foot boat when back in Florida.  (it has over 7000 lb towing capacity)
It has three rows of seats which are useful when son/daughter in law/and two teen age grandkids visit when we travel.
With real 4WD we have gone of several 4WD trails in Utah and AZ.  It is OK for simple trails but has limited ground clearance for rougher stuff.

thx -- Dale

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom