60 amp load/distribution center for 50amp power can it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamhere

Ok so electric is a bit confusing to me. I am converting a 1984 MC9 and will set up for 50 amp service. Finding a 50 amp panel with more than 3 to 4 breaker locations is not easy or cost effective. Can I just set up a  60 amp panel with the 50 amp service? As I understand, it can overheat the supply but is it the same as hooking up to 30 amp service with a 50 amp panel?  You always need to watch how much you are running at the same time.
I am probably missing something so any advice is appreciated.  Thanks

Short answer is yes. In fact a 60 amp panel will work very very well.. Just swap the main breakers for a pair of 50 amp and you are good.

For 50 amp panels check out the Progressive Dynamics catalog, Any RV dealer or Best Converters can get 'em for you.

Also for you AC to DC converter,  Unless you put in a big inverter.. Consider Progressive Dynamics 9200 line
Or you can go with one of their intergrated converter/distribution panels.. Though I prefer discrete modules to an intergrated approach.

Also they have a very nice 12 volt fuse panel you might want.

Oh and no chance of overheating anything using a 60 amp panel to do a 50 amp job. The park will have 50 amp breakers protecting your outlet  They will trip.

If I just leave the 60 amp breakers in there is no problem? I guess I could sell the 60 amp it came with but would rather leave that step out if possible. Also I checked out the Dynamic site, thanks. I am in Edmonton and the Canadian dollar does not go far these days. We are planning to move to Anchorage next month and live in the bus full time. I will put my profile together soon.

What to say? If the wiring that feeds the load center is adequate for 60A, no worries. Besides, the shore power source is supposed to have a 50A breaker too, so hopefully will trip before any damage gets done. And of course, as long as the combined load of the sub-circuits doesn't exceed 50A, the main breaker size makes no difference anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom