Which 5th Wheel for Us???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jack,

I am sorry if my comments offended you.  I don't see how my comments could be considered bad mouthing anybody. I simply stated my opinion that it is better to use more than one or two sources when researching to determine which RV is best for an individual. From what I understand RVCG does not test the products they evaluate like Consumer Reports does and that is why I have reservations and the reason I feel as I stated in my last sentence.  These are just MY opinions. 

IMHO anyone taking RV Consumer groups ratings at face value are doing themselves a disfavor.  I'm not saying it is bad to look at how they rate different products but to take is as gospel is NOT recommended.  Use several different sources including this forum.  I firmly believe that the best source for information is from RVers who have owned a particular brand and has had first hand experience.  Sorry RVCG does not get any support from me.

Again I am sorry if my comments offended you.

As you are a staff member, Ron, how about telling us about YOUR rv?

Jack said:
As you are a staff member, Ron

Check the label beneath Ron's name. Search the forum and you'll see lots of photos of Ron and his RV.

As to insurance coverage on overweight rigs, your insurance company will pay regardless. ?You might get "non renewed" but being overweight is no different than having an accident while going faster than the posted limit. ?Many, if not most, of all the semi trailer rigs are overloaded by much more than an RV will be. ?Accidents involving RVs are generally caused by inexperienced or less than alert drivers IMHO and I have been towing trailers both recreational and for business purposes for many years. ?Speed is a major factor as some seem to think they are driving their automobiles rather than an RV. Too many are jumping into large pickups and trailers or a 40 ft. motorhome without any experience. ?I've heard the expression "You (or I) don't even know that trailer is back there! ?Well, you better as it is! ? As far as advertising on this site, the operators of the site have the right to make the rules. ?

quapaw said:
As far as advertising on this site, the operators of the site have the right to make the rules.

Thank you for that comment. We try not to impose overbearing or unrealistic rules. They're quite simple really and most folks know what they are and respect them. Everyone, Jack included, agreed to the rules when they registered for an account here. It's a shame that some folks don't read them.

Thanks again.

Neither ?Ron's or Tom's profile will come up!!?? ? ---and I did not find anything on Ron's rv. ?This IS getting interesting!! ? ?

How about Ron just speaking for himself and tell us about his RV?

The reason Ron's and my profiles wouldn't "come up" is that I disabled that function. Personally, I get very concerned about the intentions of someone nosing around in my profile.

Ron is perfectly willing and able to speak for himself if you take the time to read his reply. But, when it comes to criticism of the forum and its rules, you talk to me.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jack said:
The RVCG is the only source of unbiased rv information that I know of.  Their information is a GREAT deal more than "personal assumtions & opionions"  sp.

Jack

I joined the RVCG back when I was shopping for my new motorhome and it provided some good information but, I wouldn't call them the only source and they sure are not unbiased.  Some of the information they provided was not up to date.  I was a member for 2 years before I purchased my new Monaco and for 1 year after that. 

What kind of RV do you have and, are you still a member of RVCG?  Is JD still running the place?

Phil

When we were shopping in 1997 for our fulltime motorhome, we joined the RVCG and I even had several phone conversations with JD.  Their books were very helpful in narrowing down our selection.  When we finally bought our Endeavor, we found that the numbers in the RCVG guide book were wrong.  When I told JD the correct numbers, at his request, they didn't bother to correct the book.

When I realized I couldn't trust the book for my known motorhome, I realized I couldn't trust any of it.  We didn't bother to renew our membership after the first year because of that attitude.

As to Consumer Reports,  I have read them over the years, but sometimes they test something you have alittle more background in,.  You start looking at the tests, and the results and you think, dang, do they do goofy stuff like to everything they test?  I remember some test regarding bicyles and they were way off toarget.  I become a little suspect when reading any consumer tests now.  I pefer firsthand reports by owners.  Sure they can be biased, but if something is rotten, they will tell you.

On to the overweight etc.  I believe that if you are within reason on the plus side and drive responsibly you will be fine.  If you could check all vehicles n the road, I wonder what percentage is OK by the books.  Motorhomes, 5th wheels, heck even cars.  Pickup trucks on the way back from Home Depot.  I think they are a good guideline to be aware of, to follow within reason. 

My truck has a cap it is registered for.  I can register at a higher weight and now I am legal.  Costs more, can't have the type plate I have now, but nothing changes mechanically. 

If I am going to start traveling more with this next rig, I'll probably convert to a dually.  As I understand it, you swap out the axle and add the fender flare.  An addition to the spring is optional.  As it is now, the truck only drops an inch when I load the slide in on.  That is a lot more weight tha the pin weight is on the 5er. 

Use common sense in all you do.

Tom said:
No conflict of interest at all. What does it conflict with? Commercial ads per se are not allowed in the body of forum messages, but all of us have the ability to include the URL of our web site in our signature line.

Forum members, irrespective of whether they are volunteer staff or not, are free to express their opinions, just as you are. I'll let Ron explain his position on RVCG if he wishes, but the choice is his.

Please do not post your messages twice in different topics or message boards here. I'd already responded to your first message. I'll go back and delete your original and my response to it.

GOJODO, Was there a question or comment to accompany that quote of my message?

Back
Top Bottom