EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Should we improve old Hedy Newmar, or ?????  (Read 2892 times)

Running Late

• ---
  • under bird
Should we improve old Hedy Newmar, or ?????
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:47:58 PM »
NEED COUNSEL. We're planning to sell FL home and go fulltime. Don’t comment on this.  :) Might keep and update 2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3865 (66k miles, $7,500 to update), or sell and buy more comfort. “We” are two African grey parrots, a Havanese pooch and moi who is 77.

The main question for you is: Should we improve old Betty Newmar and live with her one slide, problems we know and a short queen, or, quadruple the slides, add new adventure to life and go full king? This isn't really a money issue, but we don't want to do anything stupid…like buy new. The $$$ differential between the two options is about $125,000. Am doing a cost/benefit, pro/con assessment now.

We look forward here to what your have to say.
Hedy Newmar is a Dutch Star 3865 crewed by 2 managing parrots, an inspired Havanese guard-pooch, a fire engine Mini Cooper the trailer. From Naples-On-The-Gulf and Hendersonville, NC.

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
Re: Should we improve old Hedy Newmar, or ?????
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
Is there a pressing reason to go bigger now? You can always trade up later if the walls start closing in on those rainy days.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »
I think there is just one question here - how important is that comfort? Is it $125K worth? It'd be hard for us to tell you that.

Personally, since you only go around once, and if money is not the issue, I'd opt for comfort. Life's too short for ordinary.

Two cents worth has been deposited. Keep the change.

Kim
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »
If money is no issue, go for comfort! However, if time is important, go for easy...  ;D
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 12:37:22 PM »
We faced this decision in 2009. We chose to trade our 40ft 2000 Windsor single slide for a 2009 Monaco Camelot - 42ft, 4 slide.
Love the space and added washer and dryer, but 4 slides do add to your maintenance. If you get a tag axle rig you also have two more tires to replace.

Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »
Updating is nearly always financially smarter than trading, but it sounds like you aren't all that fond of the short bed and limited space (slides). You might be able to lengthen the bed in an update, but adding slides is expensive.  I see a newer coach in your future. There are really nice 2003-2005 models around if you hunt for them. Should be plenty coming on the market as the snowbirds return to FL and swap their rigs.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

docj

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 02:44:23 PM »
I'm puzzled by the OP's statement that the difference between updating and trading is ~$125k.  A new Dutchstar has an MSRP of nearly $400k.  According to NADA the OP will probably be lucky to get $50k for his current MH.  Even assuming a new Dutchstar can be purchased for $300k, that's a difference of ~$250k as I do the math.  If the OP plans on buying a less expensive model, that's a different story but then the comparison of new vs old becomes different.  If you're not looking to buy a MH of comparable quality then it's difficult to make a direct comparison between new and old.  We know that our elderly Beaver is a quality coach with a large-block diesel.  I would hate to consider trading it for a new one based on an engine half the size or with particle board cabinets instead of my solid wood ones, etc. JMO.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 06:30:36 PM »
Maybe he was thinking of dropping $125k on the remodeling?  But I can't imagine what would take that much. You can do a heck of a lot of remodeling for $25k-$30k. $50k if you want to include a new full body paint job.

And he was NOT talking about a new Dutch Star. He specifically excluded buying "new".
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

docj

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 06:36:30 PM »
It sounds as if there's a specific "new to him" MH that he's considering buying which would account for the $125k above his projected remodeling cost.
Sandie & Joel

DutchEagle

• ---
  • Stick and Brick in Woodbury,MN
    • Blog and Adventures and more!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »
It sounds as if there's a specific "new to him" MH that he's considering buying which would account for the $125k above his projected remodeling cost.
I did read the same as docj, remodel for $7500 or trade in and add between $120000 - $125000 (depends how you like to calculate the difference)

There is a risk involved, you know the current coach and its capabilities and maintenance status, a newer coach could have other issues you might have to fix. However adding some money to solve annoyances and add comfort could be a good solution.
Klaas (Retired 9/1/2016) & Eileen (+dog Bailey)
"Qua Patet Orbis" - Dutch Marines (1968-1975)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD
Toad: 2011 Buick LaCrosse (Roadmaster Sterling towbar)

Running Late

• ---
  • under bird
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 04:43:12 AM »
Thanks all for your thoughtful comments. Comfort won out over improving Hedy Newmar. Am about to purchase a 2005 Country Coach Allure 470 as the full-time home for 2 African grey parrots, a 12# pooch and moi. We should be like four ball bearings in a tin can. Retired in mid-life and lived aboard a sailboat so am used to living tidy in small spaces.

Am drowning in the details of full timing...the residency, tax and legal issues, I mean. Chocking on paying FL sales tax on new coach when I won't live here any more, but fret over the complexities of creating an LLC to own the bus and lease it back to me, all the licenses, my will, etc. It's not like I can call my attorney to advise me this without knowing exactly what I'm doing. Want to end up in WA or OR in 3-4 years where there are civilized laws for death with dignity (am 77 and don't want prolonged suffering). Would greatly appreciate any comments on a practical strategy for making this transition.

Here's something else to kick around. As an architect, I  have sketched up a nifty-looking enclosed bus shelter cum workshop/studio cum car garage for a rural site in OR/WA...kind of a tiny house wrapper if you will. The coach will be behind sliding doors that would protect bus against high winds and storms (in a rustic NW look), with water and septic. Has anyone else pondered or seen such a thing?

Look forward to seeing your responses on these topics.

Fair winds and comfortable roads, Running Late
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:54:27 AM by Running Late »
Hedy Newmar is a Dutch Star 3865 crewed by 2 managing parrots, an inspired Havanese guard-pooch, a fire engine Mini Cooper the trailer. From Naples-On-The-Gulf and Hendersonville, NC.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 05:40:38 AM »
I am confused. You talk about two African Grey parrots but your photo shows you with two parrots that are clearly not African Greys unless you painted them. They look like two Amazons or small Macaws.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »
What does moi stand for?
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
What does moi stand for?
French for himself.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 08:02:01 AM »
French for himself.

Thanks Tom. Now I see it. DUH!!!!
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
French for himself.

Actually "me".... but comes to the same thing  (heh heh....)
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »
Actually "me".... but comes to the same thing  (heh heh....)
Yes, I just didn't want to confuse Rene and make him think that guy was referencing me. Us old guys get confused easy. ;D
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

Running Late

• ---
  • under bird
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »
Right on Tom. Tripper is an orange winged Amazon and Friday is a quaker. The greys whop own me are not pictured.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 10:30:23 AM »
I was owned by an African Grey female named Winston for 23 years. She and I could actually hold conversations. Her grasp of the English language was amazing. I could understand her better than I could understand my wife. She used to play volleyball with my Old English Sheepdog and a balloon. I wish I could get another parrot but it would not play well with my three cats. Actually my three cats wouldn't play well with a bird. They sit and watch birds outside all day long. One of my cats starts to vibrate whenever a Sandhill Crane comes too close, which is just about every day.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

bucks2

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 11:00:28 AM »
Thanks all for your thoughtful comments. Comfort won out over improving Hedy Newmar. Am about to purchase a 2005 Country Coach Allure 470 as the full-time home for 2 African grey parrots, a 12# pooch and moi. We should be like four ball bearings in a tin can. Retired in mid-life and lived aboard a sailboat so am used to living tidy in small spaces.

Am drowning in the details of full timing...the residency, tax and legal issues, I mean. Chocking on paying FL sales tax on new coach when I won't live here any more, but fret over the complexities of creating an LLC to own the bus and lease it back to me, all the licenses, my will, etc. It's not like I can call my attorney to advise me this without knowing exactly what I'm doing. Want to end up in WA or OR in 3-4 years where there are civilized laws for death with dignity (am 77 and don't want prolonged suffering). Would greatly appreciate any comments on a practical strategy for making this transition.

Here's something else to kick around. As an architect, I  have sketched up a nifty-looking enclosed bus shelter cum workshop/studio cum car garage for a rural site in OR/WA...kind of a tiny house wrapper if you will. The coach will be behind sliding doors that would protect bus against high winds and storms (in a rustic NW look), with water and septic. Has anyone else pondered or seen such a thing?

Look forward to seeing your responses on these topics.

Fair winds and comfortable roads, Running Late

Congrats on the new (to you) rig. IF you move your residence to WA or OR be sure to look and consider the taxes. In WA you will need PROOF that you already paid sales tax on your rig or that you've owned it a certain number of years. I believe it's 3 years you have to own it, or they'll make you pay the tax all over again. Depending on which county you settle in, as much as 9.8%.

If you decide on OR think about their income tax. Another bite out of your income. IMHO a place near the border between the two states is ideal, pay no income tax by living in WA and buy your taxable items in OR. Food is not sales taxed in WA, but liquor is heavily, real heavily taxed.

And whatever you do, plan on spending winters in the south. You'll be tired of the grey sky every day. Some think it's the rain, but I think it's the grey sky everyday that drags you down.

Ken

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 11:41:10 AM »
You will only have to pay sales tax in one state no matter where you buy it or no matter where you end up living. If you buy it in Florida just get a temporary plate and drive it to where you will be registering it. If you have to pay tax in Florida then your new state will discount the tax by that amount.

Full timing is complex. I have written an article to address most major concerns before you hit the road, not after it. It is in the library along with many other helpful articles:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29&Itemid=132

And if you have any questions please ask away. There are no dumb questions, that is what forums are all about.
Life list of birds:
Grand Canyon photos:
My portfolio:

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »
Docj - Here's another alternative that might be a whole lot easier.  Join Escapees and use their Livingston TX address for mail forwarding.  They provide you with a legal address in Texas that you can use for voting, vehicle registration, insurance, etc.  In other words, Texas becomes your domicile state.  Escapees was started by fulltime RVers for other fulltimers.  Originally it was designed as a way to keep in touch with one another (through their magazine) when everyone was on the road.  Eventually they added mail forwarding and other services including campgrounds (the SKP parks) and even a Care Center for people who are sick.  But the really useful thing for fulltimers is that legal Texas address because you don't have to worry about LLCs and all that aggravation and possible legal issues.  There are a number of "SKP" parks around the country where you can buy a lot.  In fact, there's a very nice one in Sutherlin, Oregon.  That might answer a lot of your questions.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

docj

• ---
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 06:44:47 PM »
Docj - Here's another alternative that might be a whole lot easier.  Join Escapees and use their Livingston TX address for mail forwarding.  They provide you with a legal address in Texas that you can use for voting, vehicle registration, insurance, etc.  In other words, Texas becomes your domicile state.  Escapees was started by fulltime RVers for other fulltimers.  Originally it was designed as a way to keep in touch with one another (through their magazine) when everyone was on the road.  Eventually they added mail forwarding and other services including campgrounds (the SKP parks) and even a Care Center for people who are sick.  But the really useful thing for fulltimers is that legal Texas address because you don't have to worry about LLCs and all that aggravation and possible legal issues.  There are a number of "SKP" parks around the country where you can buy a lot.  In fact, there's a very nice one in Sutherlin, Oregon.  That might answer a lot of your questions.

ArdraF

I have no idea why you directed this comment to me since I've only been a minor participant in this thread. 

I'm an Escapees member and quite familiar with its services.  However, for a variety of reasons we chose to be SD residents using one of the mail services there.  IMO there is nothing that Escapees provides that cannot be provided by alternative sources.  BTW the issue of why someone would use an LLC has nothing to do with what mail service you choose to use.
Sandie & Joel

Hosted by Over The Network