Winnebago Adventurer 35U Flooring Remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob21

I own a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U (for 4 years now) and I'd like to remove the carpet and replace with vinyl flooring.  I noticed several previous posts that indicate some have tackled this job themselves and some have paid others to do it.  I live in the Cincinnati, OH area and I'd like to do it myself.  From what I understand of my slide mechanisms and from info on this forum, it looks like I can contact Winnebago to buy wrapped wood pieces to replace the metal strip so that the slides don't damaged the finished floor.  Is that the preferred way to go or should I fabricate something myself?

If I want to use high quality vinyl flooring, are vinyl planks or vinyl square tiles inherently easier to work with?  I am assuming that would be easier than vinyl sheet, and I'm also assuming that gluing the floor is necessary (or at least preferred) versus floating the floor....again, is that correct?  Finally, I'm assuming that if I do this job myself it can be done for somewhere between $1200 and $2000.  Is that a good estimate?
I might get some installer help for some of the job...depends how things go!
Thanks for any and all advice...
Bob

I did it on a 32 ft. Pursuit using the expensive Allure for about $500. Andcthe Allure did eell for two years floated.

Ernie

Ernie is the pro and no doubt provided expert advice in his PM.  I've done my own coach, and helped a buddy with his, and it is laborious but not hugely difficult if you have any flooring experience. I would not suggest an RV as your first-ever attempt at laying any type of flooring, however. You will run into every possible flooring difficulty in an RV - it's the norm rather than the exception. Uneven sub-floors, clearance for the slides, butting up to cabinets or tile, stair wells, multi-level floors (the slides), working around plumbing, etc.  All of these can be readily dealt with, but some flooring experience is a big help.

My own thoughts include:
1) Buy good quality flooring. The area (sq ft) of an RV isn't large, so the extra cost of a better grade flooring is not high and the result is much better. You can get good quality vinyl plank or engineered wood starting at around $3/sq-ft (and up).  Moldings will add to that cost.

2) Don't skimp on the prep work (subfloor). Spend as much effort and $ as needed to get it clean and smooth because the look and the longevity of the flooring totally depends on it.

3) Adhesive is probably better for an RV, due to the shifting and vibration, but I think floating works too. I know Ernie only does glued floors, but part of the reason is that he hates the use of moldings at the sides. I've not tried floating an RV floor myself, but see reports from others who have and they seem to have good results. Only time & travel will tell, of course.

4) I think an interlocking floor material will give better results than merely butting the pieces together. For that reason I like plank better than the typical vinyl tile. There are, however, some interlocking "tile" types. Basically they are square planks, with the same type of interlocking edges. More often, though, you will find rectangular planks designed to look like square tiles.

5) I think a good quality laminate flooring works too, but don't have any experience with using in an an RV. The cheaper brands probably won't hold up to the moisture and temperature ranges that RVs commonly see, but I think the better grades should work as well as engineered wood.

Good points, Gary. Thank you.
#5- laminate is a plastic photo/image adhered over MDF and those 2 layers are adhered to a plastic backer board. The MDF will swell if it gets wet
The locking mechanism makes it almost impossible to install the material like I like it- tight against the walls.
Others have used this material. I'm too old to want to mess with it

I have the same make & model coach as the OP and would like to change the carpet also.  But I just want to install new carpet of equal style and quality because the old carpet is becoming discolored where the previous owner put throw rugs on top of it. My main concern is how to go about doing the replacement under the slides.  Is the portion that goes under the slides glued down at the factory?  Any tips on how to handle the 'under the slide' problem would be appreciated.

Bill

Lift the flap of carpet on the slide. Cut the floor carpet as close  to slide as you can. Install new carpet and secure the edge with staples.

Ernie Ekberg said:
Lift the flap of carpet on the slide. Cut the floor carpet as close  to slide as you can. Install new carpet and secure the edge with staples.

Thanks Ernie.

Ernie is definetly the expert on flooring.

You mentioned that you had read some posts on here about similar projects.

I am including the link to my thread on replacing my carpet and ceramic tile with laminate.  It has lots of pictures and details as well as costs.

Unfortunately I posted it before I mastered reducing the picture size and you have to click on the photobucket links to see the pictures.

Good luck with your project.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,69841.msg636238.html#msg636238

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom