Step ladders attached to motorhome rear ladders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After playing around with this 13' folding ladder that I bought yesterday at Lowes, I have decided that it is too heavy and bulky and does not fit where I wanted it to fit so I am returning it today.  I went to Amazon and put in RV Ladders and found a nice small telescoping model that seems to fit my needs exactly and also has good reviews including several from RV people who report using theirs for exactly the same things that I want it for.

When we were younger, we would never return things because I guess we felt it made us look foolish.  By the time I was 40, I decided I, at times, was foolish and that when I made a mistake on a purchase I really was more foolish to NOT  get my money back.  Now we use the 'buy, try and return' system when necessary.

I used to haul around a step ladder. It was a gift and I enjoyed using it. The picture below shows me hauling it on a Camco chair rack. See http://amzn.to/1ZGRLaQ. Later I realized it fit better to haul the ladder upside down, but can't find the picture right now.

Finally last summer I gave the ladder away because I've discovered an easier better way.

When I need a step ladder, I just borrow one from the campground or RV park and make sure to promptly return it. Matter of fact I was able to borrow a 12 foot step ladder at one campground to effect emergency repairs when a tree branch dived into my galley one night during a storm.

The Camco chair and ladder rack is cheap, sturdy and awesome. A step ladder fits on it right side up or upside down. I also used a bungee cord to keep the ladder quiet, so no banging and a clanging while I drove down the wonderful bumpy highways and byways.

Attachments

• chair or ladder rack_Picture.jpg
    chair or ladder rack_Picture.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 15
  • ladder rack_Picture.JPG
    ladder rack_Picture.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 43
I had a telescopic ladder that went from 2 feet to 15 ft. I dont use a ladder very often but it is handy to have when you need one. I bought it because it fit in my cargo hold. The bad was it was not a step ladder and when our awning spring broke, wish I had one. Now with the muti purpose ladder its 4 feet high folded and it can be a 8 foot step ladder or 16 foot straight ladder.  Sits on my RV ladder and never had a problem. Make sure you get one that fits your needs and not your space.

quadrider said:
I had a telescopic ladder that went from 2 feet to 15 ft. I dont use a ladder very often but it is handy to have when you need one. I bought it because it fit in my cargo hold. The bad was it was not a step ladder and when our awning spring broke, wish I had one. Now with the muti purpose ladder its 4 feet high folded and it can be a 8 foot step ladder or 16 foot straight ladder.  Sits on my RV ladder and never had a problem. Make sure you get one that fits your needs and not your space.

Can you tell me the weight of that multi purpose folding ladder ? I have one, it weighs over 40 pounds... I'm not sure about having it on my motorhome ladder.

My ladder weight is 30 lbs but the RV ladder is design to hold an adult so there is no problem with a ladder that is 40 lb.

quadrider said:
My ladder weight is 30 lbs but the RV ladder is design to hold an adult so there is no problem with a ladder that is 40 lb.

I understand your point, but since the 40 pound telescopic will be on the mh ladder's for long periods with, I guess, lots of bumps, I was just concerned about the solidity of the mh's ladder; if you never had any problems with yours, I guess I'll be OK with mine; I do like my 12 footer fiberglass step ladder but my 16 footer telescopic would be even better to carry around.
Thanks

The ladder will rest on your RV ladder steps lip. You should use 2 ratchet straps to hold it. I can't get mine to move at all and since I don't use the ladder very often its a perfect place for it. Like I said I put a chain lock around it so it could never fall off.

Ladder on the Ladder, seems almost redundant but does have purpose.  I took mine off and got a folding, collapsing fancier ladder from Camping World due to the rig's ladder needing tightening.  I guess all the miles, bumps and wind took its toll.

They sell chair and bike racks that clamp to a rv ladder so it should support the weight in motion. If your ladder rack came loose It might be a sign of water leaks and rot. I would inspect your seals and look for signs of water damage.

Back
Top Bottom