Camping In Zion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Hi Everyone,

Tim and I are back home after spending Xmas and New Years in Utah.  We started off at Snow Canyon in St. George.  This is a beautiful canyon with all the red sandstone, great hiking and no people.  The campground is small and tight.  Usually you can't have slideouts; but we were the only ones there so we were able to open the motor home up.  We arrived the Saturday before Xmas and left on the 28th.  We were with our 2 sons, daughter in law and granddaughter.  On the 28th we all took off for Zion national Park.  They had snow right before we got there; but the roads were clear and dry.  Lots of wind on the way into Zion, but quiet in the campground.  We had only electric hookups (30amp) no water or sewer.  We were getting down into the mid teens at night and had ice and frost all over everything.  The motorhome did great on keeping us warm.  The heat pumps did their jobs during the days which only got to low 40's, then we used the furnace at night.  This was the lowest temps we have camped in, so we were not sure how the heated tanks etc would work; but nothing froze. 

Tim and I spent several days hiking all over Zion.  This is such a beautiful National Park.  The Watchman Campground is open; but as I mentioned only electric hook ups.  They do have a dump and water nearby.  Several sites were clear to the southern sky so direct Tv and satellite internet worked great.  we had a ball.

I'm attaching some photos.

Marsha~

Attachments

• 2006XMAS 009.jpg
    2006XMAS 009.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 06ZionHike 024.jpg
    06ZionHike 024.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 06ZionHike 071.jpg
    06ZionHike 071.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 56
Hi Marsha and Tim,

Sounds like a very cool Christmas.  Glad you kept warm.  Happy New Year greetings to you.

Betty

Hi Betty,

It was a fun Xmas and New Years...a bit different for us.  Usually everyone is here or we head up to Kernville to spend it with the kids.  We weren't sure where we were going to be over new years.  If the kids bailed on us, we were gonna see just where everyone else was spending the holiday.  However, seems our motorhome was the center party zone, so they all stayed.

It looks like we (or just me) will be coming to be coming to Quartzite, I need to let Bob know.  It might just be me coming.  Tim may have to make a quick trip to Hawaii  (too bad for him, don't ya think). 

Can't wait to see everyone again.

Marsha~

We were at Snow Canyon S.P. on December 16....gorgeous place. The campground host and Mike and I were the only ones in the place. The hookup sites are tight but there are some huge no hookup sites....if it hadn't been snowing we probably would have stayed in one of those. BTW, the place is called "Snow" Canyon after a person named "Snow," not because it gets a lot of snow....although they got 4" while we were there.

Hi Wendy,

It was beautiful and we found out it was named after a person; not because of snow.  We were camped right next to the camp host...nice people.  We were actually in site 12 and our slideout was in site 13... ;)

We took Remy out to the gravel road back in the canyon. Great walk.

Will you be at Quartzsite?  I think I recall reading that you would be there; probably before the rest of us.  I need to get one of those generator extender thingies; unless I can figure out how to make one.

Marsha~

We were in #7 at Snow Canyon. Host said he put us there cuz it was a little wider than some and our slide-out would fit. Didn't you love the cabanas? And with lights even !

We're planning on being at Quartzsite....unless Tim needs someone to go to Hawaii with him? :) We're leaving Death Valley tomorrow headed for Pahrump for a couple of days then going to Mojave Preserve to visit the restored Kelso Depot. Should get to Quartzsite sometime this month....quit all our jobs so we're in no hurry. See you there.

Wendy
75 degrees today in Death Valley

Marsha and Tim, Bev and I loved the pictures!

The Snow family is a fameous Morman family in N Central AZ, Snowflake is actually named for Bp. Snow and Bp. Flake of the LDS. Perhaps it's a branch of the same Snow family at St. George!

Hi Bob, 

That's interesting about the name.  I've heard different things about the LDS of Northern AZ.  But I will say the country is beautiful.

BTW, how is Bev doing?  I think of you both often.

Marsha~

Betty,

I'm drifting abit off topic.  Do you remember the neat southwestern store we went into at Moab?  I know there were several but this was the very nice large place with lots of wall decor.  I've redone our bedroom and need a wall sculpture for over the bed.  I remembered that last year when all of red hatters went out for ice cream we wandered through the store and I loved it.

Marsha~

MarshaLassen/CA said:
Betty,

I'm drifting abit off topic.  Do you remember the neat southwestern store we went into at Moab?  I know there were several but this was the very nice large place with lots of wall decor.  I've redone our bedroom and need a wall sculpture for over the bed.  I remembered that last year when all of red hatters went out for ice cream we wandered through the store and I loved it.

Marsha~

Marsha, Sam believes it might have been Koppeile Gallery on Main street or possibly a place on the southern end of main street on the west side.  She can't remember the name of that one.

The one on the west side, S end of tourist area is the Hogan and has the wind sculptures.
www.hogantrading.com

Back
Top Bottom