Can You Help Me Convince My Son Fulltiming Is Okay???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelsmom

I REALLY would like to become a fulltime RVer when I retire, but my son (my only relative) is scared to death about me doing this.  He is worried about my care if I become unable to "motivate" the motorhome (I planned on getting a Class A), as well as being able to afford the lifestyle.  I plan to workkamp to supplement my social security income, etc.  Anyone out there got any good words to help me out??  I've been doing alot of research on my own, but hearing it from the people "who are there" is the best thing.

Thanks for any input you give!!  Good and bad opinions are welcome!!  The truth is what we want.

Happy traveling!!

Would love to assist you in trying to convience your son, however I haven't convienced my wife yet and I've being rving since the 60's.  Yet, here we are in Arizona after 70 years of ILLinois living and traveling all over the country in MHs and I'm not sure I could convience her it's the right thing to due if we where in a 45" Newmar with all the gingerbread trinkets on the thing.  Some people just can't be convienced.  In your situation, I'm sure it's the worry he has for his Mother and no other reason.  Son's are like that.  They worry just like Mom's worry when the boys and girls stay from home the first time.  What a great security blanket to know the love is there.  He'll worry when you talk about it and when you actually do it.  Son's nature to worry for your sake not his.  Good luck and thank the lord you have a sontheat worries like that.  He'll be fine. Just a little worried., You'll find lots of help on the road and he'd be surprised how much care and assistance you'll recieve on the road, And yeah you'll have some bumps and bruises along the way, no different than each and every one of us have survived.  Good luck JMHO

Shayne has it right. Our daughter thought for years that we were destined to be murdered or die in our sleep in some strange land (like Texas) - and we are only part-time fulltimers (6 months/year). After several years she finally doesn't worry too much, though she calls almost daily to check on us. Cell phones lend a lot of comfort in that regard, so use that in your arguement. She even bought an extra phone on her cell plan and sent it to Mom, so she could talk free any old time. We already had a cell phone, but it was a different carrier and not always a freebie to call our daughter.

The bottom line is that you are not going to convince your son, so the sooner he thinks it is inevitable, the sooner you an get onto practicalities, cause you do have to think - and plan - about what to do if you get ill while on the road. There are medevac services for real emergencies and you may wish to have coverage under a plan that includes that (FMCA members get it as part of their membership). You need insurance that lets you see doctors anywhere across the USA, preferably without a referral from an HMO  physician 2000 miles away. You need to know you can call someone to move the RV for you and perhaps drive you home in it. Some Rv clubs offer this service on a volunteer basis (FMCA and I think Escapees) and I believe there are also insurance policies that do this.  Tell him you have a plan for these possible problems - it won't make him happy but at least he may realize you can take care of yourself.

As someone else said, you son will NOT be convinced by anything other than GOD coming down from on high and wacking him up side the head and saying in a godlike voice LET HER DO IT.

We can address points though: 

What happens if you can no longer drive the motor home?  Options abound.
1: You can have a friend whom you have met here or elsewhere in the RV community drive it to a place where you can park it forever if you wish.  Or you can have a dealer come pick it up and sell it for you, and move into a senior facility. Or you can hire a driver (professional) or your insurance may even cover a professional RV porter

As for affording the lifestyle.. I am told that retireing into an RV is less expensive than a house... Don't know, but I'm betting my future on it.  I know I can go through a lot of cash in a hurry either way.

As for health care:  There are very good hospitals most everywhere and LIFE-FLIGHT services all the hospitals, good, bad and medium.    If needed you can be quickly transported to the best hospital in the world for whatever bothers you.

I do have one suggestion... Medic Alert.  Get both jewlery and an E-Key  Alas, I lost my E-Key

You've heard a lot of the truth you wanted, the major one being that no one can change another's mind. You're an adult. carefully make your own decisions.

One helpful support group not mentioned is the Escapees RV Club, http://www.escapees.com known as the SKP's.

In addition to all their other benefits for the serious RVer they have a wonderful care and Sr. Center at the Livingston TX hq. This includes 24 cememt pads with hookups and shed for seriously ill and in '97 the were $3 per night and included a nurse to visit rigs and check vitals and make sure med were working ok. A hot meal was provided daily as well.

They have a sub group just for singles as well. Check them out.

Hi Michaelsmom,

We have been fulltiming for 10 years. When we decided to do this our daughter was very upset. She felt the same as your son. It took several visits by forum members before she realized that most RVers are great people and are there to help anyone that has a problem.

The lifestyle is not as inexpensive as many think but you can control the costs. It depends upon what you buy and how you travel. Keep asking your questions here and research our library. I'm sure you'll find a lot of help in guiding you towards this lifestyle. Just be sure you've done all the research before jumping into it.

One thing to pass on to your son ... medical assistance is just as accessable (if not more-so) than you currently have at your home. Last trip, we had stopped over night in Caddo Mills, TX and the wife developed sever abdominal cramps. Since I didn't know the area, and it was after midnight, a call to 911 brought an ambulance within 10 minutes, and they transported the wife after giving me directions to the hospital (had my 13 yo grandson with us, and couldn't leave him to ride with her). That was much better response that the couple times we've had to use 911 here in Memphis.

Give your son your cell phone number, and hit the road. There are many options available, so don't let his 'concerns' stop you from doing what you want - after all, you are the parent.

I can't wait to start my fulltiming career - only 17 months to go -- and we practice every chance we get (at least 1 week every other month, and an occasional weekend in between). We have 2 daughters, and they are not 100% happy with what we've chosen, but they at least realize that we are going to do as we 'damn well please' regardless.

Larry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom