Slide Out Ceiling Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2tan4u

Hi all..first time here and in need of some help.  I have a 29.5 Springdale in Atlantic Beach NC.  We had a permanent roof put over the slide out. Well, the first hurricane came and guess what...it leaked.  It was repaired, but left the main beam going across and the two pieces of "wood" on either side completely water logged.  I replaced them myself.  Now, I have to replace the supporting beam behind the ones I replaced and the ceiling above the kitchen table and couch..Is this something I can do myself, or should I call in someone.?  I'm pretty handy and do have Xanax so just looking advice.

I'm not clear on what this "main beam" is. Is it part of the slide, or the sidewall frame the slide goes into?

A slide typically has a flange across the top and down each side. It presses against the interior side when the slide is fully deployed. Is that the "beam" you mean? In my rig it's a wood cover over a steel frame, and that frame itself is basically just screwed to the slide "box". The flange frame is added from the inside once the box is pushed into the opening. It can be removed and the slide pulled completely out if necessary.

Hey Gary, I might have to take pics to send but will try to explain better...the slide is out..When we had the first hurricane, the roof leaked causing the beam that goes the length of the slide and the two "legs" on either end to swell with water.  As you said, there should have been a metal beam behind the particle board beam, but there is not.  It is just another "wood".  Even the guy at the RV repair shop at the beach said that it was unusual that that it wasn't steel.  But then remembered that they didn't put them in until some time after 2001, which of course, mine is.  My biggest question is how is that rotted beam connected?  is it to the roof or just on either end of the slide out or the main part of the camper?  I think that once I figure that out, replacing the ceiling, etc, will be a lot easier for me.  Suppose to meet the repair guy Thurs to see if he is going to cover the damage.  If not, will post pics for further help.  Will also be needing help on Winterizing an "greasing" for the winter...

Thanks!

Ellis

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom