Water pump switch without a light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rickster7753

I just received delivery of a new Fleetwood Terra 36R Class A.  There are two water pump switches.  One for the main coach and the other for the half bath. Neither one has an indicator light to tell me when they are on. They both just say "water pump" and toggle. How do I tell what possition is on or off? 

turn on the water faucet ....if you hear the pump ...it's on, push the switch again and it's off.

but usually there is a master systems panel somewhere... that will have a water pump light in a series of other indicator lights.

Thanks for the quick answer but the master system panel does not have any lights for the water pumps.  I was on city water while camping this past weekend so no need for pumps.  I guess I'll add some water to the tank and give it a try.

I was hoping someone knew if the switch was toggled either on "water" or "pump" to be on.  But, thanks again.

robertusa123 said:
You don't even need to add water to tank.  Just flip the switch.  You should hear the pump run

After you shutoff the water at the pedestal and bleed the pressure off by opening any faucet. I would think that if it's a rocker style switch, pushing the bottom would shut it off and pushing in the top would turn it on. If they are backwards, I would remove them and rotate them.

On our Tiffin the water pump switches are like 3 way switches in your house. If you turn the pump on at one location it may need the top pushed in or the bottom depending on which switch was used last. Since you have a Fleetwood I am not at all familiar with how your pump is wired. In ours I added LED lights to the switch plate.

See if the switch stays in the opposing position, I have Fleetwood, and it is a spring switch.  It activates a central locking relay.  So either switch will toggle it.  I have 3 switches to turn on/off water pump.  Utility bay, bathroom, and master console.  I haven't been instructed on the new ones, but it is likely the same.  When you hit it, you will hear the pump kick in to establish pressure. 

They usually just change (toggle) the status, i.e. if the pump is currently On, the switch turns it off, and if currently Off the switch turns it on. That's why the switch has no "ON" light - the switch itself doesn't know which it is.

So, if the water doesn't run from the tap when you open the faucet, push the switch and you should hear the pump start up and water begin to flow. The pump has an internal pressure switch, so it shuts itself off when there is no demand for water. It doesn't hurt anything to leave the pump in the "ON" state.

PancakeBill said:
And some coaches have a status panel with a water pump light showing status, just not on the switches.

Yep. My 2004 Winnie Sightseer has a lighted switch for the water heater, but the switch for the water pump on the test panel is not lit...but does have an indicator light showing the status. However, the rocker switch in the power/water compartment for the water pump IS a lighted switch.

You can add a led light to the switch. The website mod my rv has that mod listed and a step by step guide on how to do it. I just turn on the water and if its not flowing I flip the switch, mine works in both directions depending on which one was used last.

Back
Top Bottom