Generator won't start or continue to run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

22winniewarrior1990

Hey guys, Just purchased a 1991 Winnebago warrior 22 feet C class.  It has been a dream to hop into the RV and drive to ski areas and ski the next morning.  I am 29 and boom, I pulled the trigger.  That is the story behind the purchase. 
Chevy engine, runs great, hot water heater, refrigerator, furnace all work.  I paid 2500.00$.  There is some water damage to the cab over and someone did some work to the passenger rear wall but it is sturdy and fixing that type of stuff is easy for me. 
The problem is my generator, an Onan Model 4BGEFA26101G serial number H900342364 cranks when I press the start button, has stayed running only once but have no clue if it was generating power.  Need some help, not a small engine mechanic but can figure stuff out, got everything else to work.  Any ideas from people out there.  Less than 500 hours.  If I hold start button sometimes it will keep cranking, sometimes makes a clank sound after a crank or two.  I have heard if you hold the stop button it primes the fuel line, is this true and if so how do I do this.  Really want to get this genni running before it gets too cold.
Thanks
,Brett

Brett,

Welcome to the RV Forum.

I suggest you pose your generator question in the TECH section. You'll get a better response.

ken

Two things that will prevent a generator from running:

• Low fuel in the fuel tank. The fuel pickup for the generator is usually placed 20-25% "up" the fuel tank, so the generator won't use all your fuel and leave you stranded.
  • Low oil pressure.

I think the prime when holding the STOP button is a feature on newer models.  My 1997 Onan Microlite does not do that.

Make sure your gas tank is full.  As Tom indicated the fuel pickup for the generator will go dry long before the tank is empty.

Check\change the oil.
Check\change the air filter.
Check\change the sparkplug.

Check for spark:  You can crank the generator with the plug removed(wire still connected) and look for spark.  You need to ground the plug on the side of the engine while cranking.

Check for fuel: Find the fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to the carburetor.  Disconnect it at the carburetor and put it in a catch can while cranking.  Look for fuel in the catch can. 

Report back. 

Hope this helps.

Since the motorhome is new to you, and you may not have service records for the generator, I would begin to service some of the most inexpensive things. Begin with a new spark plug. Change the oil filter. Change the oil. New air filter. These are things it would need anyway, so why not go ahead and do it now? Also, as previously mentioned, make sure you have more than a quarter tank of gas in the motorhome. After that is done, and it still does not start, start checking for a spark. Remove the plug, hold the wire a few inches away from a metal part and have someone crank the generator. If you have spark, then check for fuel getting to the carb by disconnecting the fuel line and placing the end in a clear container and having someone crank the generator. If you have fuel and a spark, then the next thing to suspect is the carburetor. Also check that the house battery is fully charged. Good luck!

Fuel lead should be gravity feed.  If a half tank or so of fuel, disconnect the fuel line and see if you have fuel.  If not, blow it out with compressed air.  It can get blocked if setting up.  If good spark, fuel, good fuel filter, may need to replace the carb.  Very difficult to clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asteg1000
Back
Top Bottom