EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Finding propane on the road?  (Read 3716 times)

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
Finding propane on the road?
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:02:19 AM »
My immediate question is: Is there a place I can get my RV-mounted tank filled on Hwy 101 somewhere between Seaside and Astoria, OR?

My main question is: How do I find places to refill on the road? Just Googling "propane" and the zip codes I'll be passing through is useless, as the results return RV parks which can only refill a non-mounted tank, and gas stations which have propane at the pump for propane-fueled vehicles.

Any tips?
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

HueyPilotVN

• ---
Re: Finding propane on the road?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:07:05 AM »
Lots of flying j trucks tops can refill frame mounted propane tanks
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer, Trailer Toad
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

llib enad

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:11:35 AM »
On 101 ,north end of Gearhart, there is a camp ground that use to have propane.  I moved away   1 7 years ago, so do not know if they still have that service.

bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

blw2

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 07:21:40 AM »
sorry, don't know the area
but many campgrounds do fill MH's
also check U-Hauls.  many of them have LP fill

I would call up google maps on your phone, zoom to the area you want to check, and search for "propane".  You'll have to make a few calls to verify, but I'll bet you can find something in short order.

I was surprised once, I searched out a Propane distributor in an area near where i was camping once..... the kind that deliver to your home.  I thought all of those places would be set up for it.... not so.  I was shocked.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:03:57 AM »
Lots of flying j trucks tops can refill frame mounted propane tanks

and Pilots !
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 08:43:35 AM »
Do an internet search.  Identify a few places, call to see if they can accommodate your RV.  Don't wait until you need it.  Keep the tank filled and when it's about 1/2 full start looking for dealers.  We let the tank get pretty low on our last trip and ended up spending about $1.50 a gallon more than the best price in the area.  When you don't know an area, you'll never get the best deal.  It just takes time.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

56safari

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:57:05 AM »
U-haul centers often have propane.  Checked their web site and there is a center on 101 in Gearhart with propane for 2.69 a gallon and they are open seven days a week..  Don't know oregon well, so there may be others that are more convenient.
Jim & Lin
1999 Rexhall Aerbus

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
Last year I called an Amerigas office near where we were traveling, and they gave me the names and locations of a couple of nearby refillers that could handle an RV mounted ASME tank. The tank fitting is the same as that used on residential bulk tanks. A couple of years ago, I stopped at a Paraco propane office to ask about a refiller, and they had one of their trucks pull up to the coach and fill it right there.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

VallAndMo

• ---
  • Vall and Mo, a married couple getting ready for FT
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
Hi Herekittykitty,

Also check the local Ace Hardware, many do refill RV-mounted tanks; we've refilled with them quite a few times.

Cheers,
--
   Vall.

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
All great ideas! Thanks.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »
you might try this:

http://propanefinderapp.com
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

elliott-maine

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »
Also try Tractor Supply.
Elliott & Vicky and copilot Hanna, the GSD

2014 Redwood 36RE, Gen, king bed, other goodies
2013 RAM 3500 drw, 4wd, Aisin tranny
From the great state of Maine

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 07:48:59 PM »
we call a nearby RV park and they usually know a source.
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Lots of good ideas so far. I think Ferrellgas is the big distributer in that area You can google the number and ask for locations. You are to far north I found a dealer last year right after crossing the Or line. Traffic was slow and while waiting for a light I saw a place on the right side of the road with easy access. Just lucky some times. If you can find a place it will be cheaper in Or. because no sales tax.
Most KOAs have propane.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »
Yeah, these are all great ideas! I've made a list and every time someone new comments, I'm adding to it.

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
Keep heading south south south so the farther you go, the less propane you need.  ;D

I mostly rely on U-Haul for propane refills because mostly they are open 7 days a week and have plenty of room for a rig to get in and out.

Truck stops and many RV parks fill up RV tanks too.

I have googled propane in specific towns and driven to a dealer.

You may find that while driving, your dash heater provides enough heat in a Class C to do the whole rig. It's only when you camping the cold, that you need heat and you can get a ceramic heater that will heat the entire rig and run off the campground electricity. They even have cute little ones that mimic a fireplace, they are popular with many RVers.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:00:59 PM by DearMissMermaid »
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 09:49:16 PM »
Keep heading south south south so the farther you go, the less propane you need.  ;D

Duh! Why didn't *I* think of that!  :P
(It actually was my intention to spend winter in Southern Cal. But I realistically can only drive 100 miles a day and decided that didn't sound like fun.)

I mostly rely on U-Haul for propane refills because mostly they are open 7 days a week and have plenty of room for a rig to get in and out.

That is going to be my main plan as well.

You can get a ceramic heater that will heat the entire rig and run off the campground electricity. They even have cute little ones that mimic a fireplace, they are popular with many RVers.

Yeah, I will have to think about this, since I pay nothing for electricity. I'm just trying to avoid filling up every inch of floor space with more "stuff". And more weight!!

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »
When you are really, really desperate and none of the above work, try calling the local Chamber of Commerce.  The people answering the phone have saved me a couple of times.

And even state park and national park campgrounds have lists of services for RVs, including information on things like urgent care and mobile RV technicians. 

Welcome to the world of women who full-time in an RV!  I've been on the road for more than three years and love it.  I spent a couple of months last year going down the west coast.  Just stay off highway 1 north of SF!!
Full-timing for over five years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
My understanding from other posts is that you are a relatively new full-timer.  If you have a tablet or smartphone and haven't already done so, I strongly recommend you get the AllStays "Camp & RV" app.  It works like Google Maps or other mapping programs, but has an overlay that shows campgrounds, WalMarts, truck stops, and (appropos to your question) places that sell LP.  Tap on the icon and it will bring up information, phone number and sometimes a web link.  When I purchased, it was about $7.  Not sure how much the app is now, but it's worth its weight in gold.

Edit:  I have never been to that area, so have no personal knowledge.  However, I just checked my Allstays app and see that "Bud's RV Park" just north of Seaside by Del-Rey Beach is listed as selling propane.  Phone # is 503-738-6855 if you choose to call.  Allstays does not show any place in that area that is specifically listed as just a propane retailer.  Also no Flying Js, Pilots or other truck stops shown.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:34:31 PM by jagnweiner »
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »

Good advice but I'm what, about 50 miles from the FL state line as I-95 goes and last night...... 47 degrees out. it was 62 in when I fired up ye old heaters.   Of course today.. Air conditioning ins on... I love this time of year (Seriously, I really do).
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

bucks2

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »
There's a gas station just about a mile north of the Circle Something (I can't remember the last name) RV park on the south end of Seaside. It has propane there against the fence.

There's also a weigh station that has the scales on between Seaside and Warrenton, maybe 5 miles north of Seaside.

Ken

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 07:12:01 PM »
Getting the propane tank refilled is probably the #1 annoyance of my fulltiming life.  It doesn't have to occur very often, but it's almost always somewhere I've never been before.  And if I'm traveling, I have the toad behind my 40-foot motorhome, further complicating matters.

Some RV parks can refill onboard tanks, but their price per gallon is often pretty high.  A couple of weeks ago, the RV park in New Hampshire wanted $5/gallon. 

I've found that U-Haul places aren't all that easily maneuverable in a big rig, especially with a toad.  Some RV dealers have propane; I got a good price, with easy access, at Baydo RV in Chehalis, Washington, a couple of years ago.  And for the record, I noticed a surprising number of gas stations that had non-automotive propane in the Pacific Northwest, and they often had the price posted out front.

Flying J has always been my back-up plan, but it's annoying because a lot of the time the propane is with the RV pumps in front (not in the "truck" part of the lot) AND you have to go through the RV pumps backwards. 

For future reference (since there aren't any locations in Oregon), here's a website that lists Tractor Supply locations that have propane (not all do):

http://www.tractorsupply.com/content_landing-page_propane#get-your-tank-filled

I know that some can fill onboard tanks, but not necessarily all.  And access by a big rig might be difficult in some locations.  But it's a start. 

There's also this website:  http://www.altfuelprices.com

I've updated it whenever I've found propane, including a comment if they will fill onboard propane tanks, but I think I'm the only RVer who has ever done that.  I wish it would catch on.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »
Why the 100 mile limit? Still 10 days will put you in San Diego. I usually don't drive over 250-300 a day my self. I don't have to be in a hurry.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 08:53:10 PM »
Why the 100 mile limit?

'Cause I fall asleep. (You don't go very far once that happens.  :) )

Still 10 days will put you in San Diego. I usually don't drive over 250-300 a day my self. I don't have to be in a hurry.

I never thought about it like that, but I'm like Judy, in that I wouldn't want to do that every day. So SD would be more like 20 days away.

The unfortunate thing is that I kind-of AM in a hurry. I still work, and travel days put a dent in that, big-time.

I'm still figuring this out, clearly. I thought once I started this, I would move with the weather. Now it feels more like I just want to be able to move every 3 weeks, but not very far.

Catch up with me in a year, after I'm tired of all the places I hang out in now  :). Maybe by then I WILL be in San Diego!

Karen

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 09:15:49 PM »
Can you recharge by taking a nap? 20 days 30 days you aren't on a schedule right.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 03:37:56 PM »
When starting to need propane we usually just Google propane stations and that brings up Suburban, Ferrellgas, Amerigas and other large nationwide suppliers (Monday-Friday!) if an RV park isn't convenient.  I also just found this directory of alternative fuel sources which right now has propane 1,521 locations.  http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/propane_locations.html

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Hosted by Over The Network