Finding propane on the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herekittykitty

My immediate question is: Is there a place I can get my RV-mounted tank filled on Hwy 101 somewhere between Seaside and Astoria, OR?

My main question is: How do I find places to refill on the road? Just Googling "propane" and the zip codes I'll be passing through is useless, as the results return RV parks which can only refill a non-mounted tank, and gas stations which have propane at the pump for propane-fueled vehicles.

Any tips?

On 101 ,north end of Gearhart, there is a camp ground that use to have propane.  I moved away  1 7 years ago, so do not know if they still have that service.

bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

sorry, don't know the area
but many campgrounds do fill MH's
also check U-Hauls.  many of them have LP fill

I would call up google maps on your phone, zoom to the area you want to check, and search for "propane".  You'll have to make a few calls to verify, but I'll bet you can find something in short order.

I was surprised once, I searched out a Propane distributor in an area near where i was camping once..... the kind that deliver to your home.  I thought all of those places would be set up for it.... not so.  I was shocked.

Do an internet search.  Identify a few places, call to see if they can accommodate your RV.  Don't wait until you need it.  Keep the tank filled and when it's about 1/2 full start looking for dealers.  We let the tank get pretty low on our last trip and ended up spending about $1.50 a gallon more than the best price in the area.  When you don't know an area, you'll never get the best deal.  It just takes time. 

U-haul centers often have propane.  Checked their web site and there is a center on 101 in Gearhart with propane for 2.69 a gallon and they are open seven days a week..  Don't know oregon well, so there may be others that are more convenient.

Last year I called an Amerigas office near where we were traveling, and they gave me the names and locations of a couple of nearby refillers that could handle an RV mounted ASME tank. The tank fitting is the same as that used on residential bulk tanks. A couple of years ago, I stopped at a Paraco propane office to ask about a refiller, and they had one of their trucks pull up to the coach and fill it right there.

Hi Herekittykitty,

Also check the local Ace Hardware, many do refill RV-mounted tanks; we've refilled with them quite a few times.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Lots of good ideas so far. I think Ferrellgas is the big distributer in that area You can google the number and ask for locations. You are to far north I found a dealer last year right after crossing the Or line. Traffic was slow and while waiting for a light I saw a place on the right side of the road with easy access. Just lucky some times. If you can find a place it will be cheaper in Or. because no sales tax.
Most KOAs have propane.
Bill

Keep heading south south south so the farther you go, the less propane you need.  ;D

I mostly rely on U-Haul for propane refills because mostly they are open 7 days a week and have plenty of room for a rig to get in and out.

Truck stops and many RV parks fill up RV tanks too.

I have googled propane in specific towns and driven to a dealer.

You may find that while driving, your dash heater provides enough heat in a Class C to do the whole rig. It's only when you camping the cold, that you need heat and you can get a ceramic heater that will heat the entire rig and run off the campground electricity. They even have cute little ones that mimic a fireplace, they are popular with many RVers.

DearMissMermaid said:
Keep heading south south south so the farther you go, the less propane you need.  ;D

Duh! Why didn't *I* think of that!  :p
(It actually was my intention to spend winter in Southern Cal. But I realistically can only drive 100 miles a day and decided that didn't sound like fun.)

DearMissMermaid said:
I mostly rely on U-Haul for propane refills because mostly they are open 7 days a week and have plenty of room for a rig to get in and out.

That is going to be my main plan as well.

DearMissMermaid said:
You can get a ceramic heater that will heat the entire rig and run off the campground electricity. They even have cute little ones that mimic a fireplace, they are popular with many RVers.

Yeah, I will have to think about this, since I pay nothing for electricity. I'm just trying to avoid filling up every inch of floor space with more "stuff". And more weight!!

When you are really, really desperate and none of the above work, try calling the local Chamber of Commerce.  The people answering the phone have saved me a couple of times.

And even state park and national park campgrounds have lists of services for RVs, including information on things like urgent care and mobile RV technicians. 

Welcome to the world of women who full-time in an RV!  I've been on the road for more than three years and love it.  I spent a couple of months last year going down the west coast.  Just stay off highway 1 north of SF!!

My understanding from other posts is that you are a relatively new full-timer.  If you have a tablet or smartphone and haven't already done so, I strongly recommend you get the AllStays "Camp & RV" app.  It works like Google Maps or other mapping programs, but has an overlay that shows campgrounds, WalMarts, truck stops, and (appropos to your question) places that sell LP.  Tap on the icon and it will bring up information, phone number and sometimes a web link.  When I purchased, it was about $7.  Not sure how much the app is now, but it's worth its weight in gold.

Edit:  I have never been to that area, so have no personal knowledge.  However, I just checked my Allstays app and see that "Bud's RV Park" just north of Seaside by Del-Rey Beach is listed as selling propane.  Phone # is 503-738-6855 if you choose to call.  Allstays does not show any place in that area that is specifically listed as just a propane retailer.  Also no Flying Js, Pilots or other truck stops shown.

DearMissMermaid said:

Good advice but I'm what, about 50 miles from the FL state line as I-95 goes and last night...... 47 degrees out. it was 62 in when I fired up ye old heaters.  Of course today.. Air conditioning ins on... I love this time of year (Seriously, I really do).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom