EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Overweight  (Read 5793 times)

JRS950

• ---
  • Enjoying the retired life and travelling
Re: Overweight
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
How goes the weight struggle? I just came across this thread and I am driving "C" also. We so far are okay on weight, but DW just loves to add a new thingie at various times.
Jim, Marianne and rescue pup Libby
28Z Four Winds pushed by an Alien Green Soul

EdS

• ---
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »
I know we still struggle with this, as our last few rigs.. either Motorhome or TT, was built so heavy that it only allowed for 1000 lbs or so after you weighed the people.

A few things we did to try to trim the weight was to not carry a ton of water in the tanks. 8.3 pounds per gallon, so 40+ gallons in the fresh water tank is 332 pounds... add in the hot water heater... the propane.. the fuel.. driving "wet" is heavy. We instead only keep a few gallons in the tank, and bring a case of water, kept up front over the front axle. Bottled water gets the job done when you can't use the facilities at Flying J or Pilot or rest areas.

Not carrying a few hundred extra pounds in the grey and black also helps.

If you can, ditch the canned goods and look for brands that come in lighter, dry packs. I know its a chore, but you can carry a ton for much less weight. (topic for another time, but watch your sodium too, prepackaged and canned foods can be horrible with the ingredients!)

Tools... I've spent a long time working on this. I am OCD about being able to have what I need in an emergency, so I have a lot of tools! What I have done though is over time, I purchased new tools that were lighter in weight. Aluminum "race" jack.. wrench sets that aren't oversized for no reason (chinese tools tend to be thick and chunky.. some better wrench sets are much more svelte, loosing several pounds over the set compared to the cheapie sets).. Having a cordless drill that is also a screw driver and 3/8 impact with a bit set that covers everything.. that alone eliminated several heavier tools!

No metal tool box... Lowes and others sell collapsible tool bags with padded metal handles that hold everything with pockets, but weight next to nothing.

Hope that helps!

William52

• ---
  • Common sense is not common anymore.
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 03:19:15 PM »
May have to call or rig  Fleetwood Fat? We will most likely be over. F rated tires should help?
2000 Pace Arrow M35N F53 V10 Ford  100,000 + miles purrs like a kitten. 2010 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon, RVI3 Brake

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 03:48:32 PM »
May have to call or rig  Fleetwood Fat? We will most likely be over. F rated tires should help?
Load range F tires are probably what your coach's manufacturer called for. IF you want "heavier" tires, you'd need Load range G...and that will NOT give you more GVWR.
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 04:09:45 PM »
Finally got to take the rig through a weigh station and the front axle weighed 4,050 (vehicle tag says max GAWR for front is 5,000), but the back weighed an astounding 11,000 pounds! Sticker says max rear is 9,600.

One thing, I presume you got a total weight in addition to the front and rear axle weights - if yes, does the math add up? (Front+rear=total)

As I read through this thread I couldn't help but wonder if it would be worthwhile to get a second opinion, i.e., get it weighed again somewhere else. If this first time you paid at a certified scale, if you stay out of the way you can often get it weighed for free at a gravel yard. And (again, if they're not busy) weigh it with and without the scooter (even though I realize you're planning on always carrying the scooter, will just give you more info to work with). I weighed corners, front and back plus total. I'd move on the scale, get my reading, see a truck coming, move out of the way until it was free, then get another weight. Hopefully you can find a place as accommodating.

When I was done, I added the various weights as appropriate to check accuracy and everything came out within an astounding 2 pounds - this gave me confidence that the numbers were right.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Hosted by Over The Network