A Bicycle for Old Farts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

Found it! After tons of research and nearly 3 years of bicycling on a Schwinn Point Beach cruiser, I found a new ultra comfortable bicycle.

I have oodles of physical problems, but a few years back, my best friend who is an avid bicyclist on a Burley Recumbent, talked me into trying bicycle riding in an attempt to improve my health and stamina. Indeed I find bike riding far easier than walking and frankly a helluva lot more fun. But I had tons of problems so we adjusted everything we could on the Schwinn to try to make it more comfy to my liking. Also, I sometimes suffer from sudden exhaustion, so I added an electric conversion kit that basically gives me electric motor assistance when needed. It comes with a rechargable battery that gives me about 15-20 miles on electric alone. (See  http://amzn.to/1LmdLya for details)

The funny thing is, once I added the electric option, I pedaled more, got on my bike more and went further. The electric kit gave the confidence that I would get back home no matter how strong the head winds or how tired I became. So off I went having a blast. But still my rear end hurt, my hands felt numb and sometimes I had to stop every 15 minutes to do exercises before I could un-numb my body parts and get going again. I even changed out the cruel horn seat to a dual padded Hobson seat with no horn. I must admit, that seat is heaven on earth. If you are having problems with crotch or tailbone pain from bike riding, then you need the Hobson dual padded seat. (See http://amzn.to/1GImqcg)

My friend raved about his recumbent bicycle but I couldn't make it work for me, expecially since I like the electric kit and I was carrying a front basket and two rear (pannier) baskets. In a few campgrounds I've been able to actually use my bicycle to go out for provisions. I don't own a car, just a little old mini motorhome. The bonus of shopping with a bicycle now and then was attractive indeed and the baskets came in handy for that.

I spend a few months near or at the beach every year, and my puppy dog loves the beach too. With my 3 baskets and electric assist, I could load up my doggy and beach gear to spend time at the beach while being able to lug my water and other accouterments with me.

Off and on I did in depth research trying to find a more comfortable bicycle. I ruled out recumbents, I ruled out trikes, I test rode various recommendations by bicycle shops, but frankly most bike shops cater to the athletes and are clueless what to do with a physically challenged rider other than suggest foolishness like gas or electric scooters which offer NO exercise benefits.

I kept looking and looking when I heard rumors about a semi-recumbent bicycle that offered comfortable seating with back support, plus flat foot style. What that means is that I can stop while seated and plant my feet on the ground. No hopping on and off the seat when stopped.

The bicycle I found was a Day 6 Dream 24 in the small frame (since I have short legs.) I couldn't find one to test ride, so the owner of the company (bless his creative heart!) shipped one to the local bike shop. They put it together for me to test ride.

Heaven on earth. I rode it until they closed up shop. I went home to think about it overnight, it was a huge consideration for me, I don't just impulse buy and this well made bicycle commanded a decent price but still kind of on the high end for me. I live efficiently and buying a new bicycle meant I had to find a home for my old bicycle before I could travel again. I don't have a garage to collect up unwanted junk.

The next day I went back to the bike shop at opening time. I rode the Day 6 Dream 24 (which is 24 speeds!) most of the morning all over the neighborhood then talked them into switching around tires and electric kit, bought it and now 5 days later, I am getting NOTHING done, because I am out riding my shiny new  bicycle like a kid who has waited too long for freedom and I can't seem to get enough of it!

If you want the fun and health benefits of putting bicycling in your life, then you might want to consider checking out this wonderful Day 6 bicycle. The website is http://www.iowabicycles.com/. One of the best reviews I read that got me into further research was at this link http://www.bicycleman.com/crank-forward-bikes/day-6-bicycles/day-6-bicycles.htm

By the way, the company also makes a big and tall version that can carry up to 400 pounds of weight, so if you are a generous sized person, don't be scared to try this out.

On my blog I will be writing more about my new bicycle as I try to go far and wide, improving my health and having a wonderful time.

Here are some pics:

The top one is the Day 6 (I am waiting on the rear rack so I can install my rear baskets)
The 2nd pic is the electric kit I have used on the Schwinn and now on the Day 6
The 3rd is stock pic of the Day 6
The 4th is my old Schwinn

Which by the way... I wrote a lengthy Craigslist ad for my old Schwinn, competing against hundreds upon hundreds of used bicycles for sale, and I included lots of pics and a few free options. Amazingly, the first call came in an hour later, they drove over, bought the Schwinn and left me mopping a tear out of my eye. Talk about fantastic luck!

Attachments

• DSCF9660_Picture.JPG
    DSCF9660_Picture.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 81fUBH8NdUL._SX522__Picture.jpg
    81fUBH8NdUL._SX522__Picture.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 73
  • day-6-Dream-S-burgundy.jpg
    day-6-Dream-S-burgundy.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF8816_Picture.JPG
    DSCF8816_Picture.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 96
It would have been nice if you would have mentioned the price of the bike. I don't think it is as cool as the bike that plays records.

Attachments

• cool-bike-2.jpg
    cool-bike-2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 73
SeilerBird said:
It would have been nice if you would have mentioned the price of the bike. I don't think it is as cool as the bike that plays records.
If you will follow the link provided, you can find the price.  Just be sure to have your nitro pills handy.

Buying the bicycle (under a $1,000) and the resulting exercise is far cheaper than a heart attack.  ;D

In my case, when I don't feel like exercising, I have a talk with myself.

I ask myself  "Self? Do you want to sit in a stuffy stressful medical waiting room for gawdknowswhat or do you want to be outside  in the fresh air riding your bicycle while soaking up the best this beautiful world has to offer?"

And I go ride and smile and thank my lucky stars.

Currently I am on the 30 day challenge... ride my bicycle every day for 30 days! It doesn't matter if I ride 500 feet or 5 miles, the object is to get on it and go somewhere every day, even if I only do a loop around the RV park.

Believe me this was a BIG expenditure for me, but I would rather buy a bicycle than hand over my money to a "medical provider" who these days seems not to have my best interests at heart... but rather is only concerned with their profits...  indeed I've been told more than once to stop riding my bicycle. Incredible!

Bicycles can  be had at most any price range, I was just raving about this Day 6 because it is oh so super comfortable. The seat back gives me more torque for pushing the pedals, it seems so effortless. I am smitten.

Would write more, but the sun is up and I am going for a bike ride to rev up my metabolism before I make breakfast. Wheeeeee!

Attachments

• DSCF9653a_Picture.jpg
    DSCF9653a_Picture.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 90
Hi DearMissMermaid,

So happy you were able to find the ultimate bike!! Sometimes you have to invest a little bit in yourself and as you said the health benefits are justification along with your needed transportation. Have lots of fun on the new bike and see if the kids make fun of you now!

In a couple of months you'll be doing centuries  ;)

We looked at this problem as well..I have a damaged spine in 2 places and swinging the leg over a seat just isn't in the cards.. the odd thing is that I cannot walk much..but I can peddle :) .. then we discovered the Specialized Expedition Sport Low Entry bike.  under 1K cdn...

Very light. Comfy seats with suspension, fatter tires and we ride trails / dykes with them.  Lots of gears. The old way of sitting..not bent over like a 10 speed. The DW and I have sightly different models but they are tough. I put saddlebags on mine so we could bring home stuff from farmers's markets.

My son (who used to race MX) was very hard on bikes.  He used to have three..and I was always fixing one and possible 2 all the time so he rotated between them. I finally went into a high end bike shop and mentioned what was happening and they sold me a Specialized. We threw 2 bikes out and kept one as a spare..he never used it.  This bike was tough.. so we figured these bikes would be tough too..

And they have been. We take them everywhere we go...  I want to install a hitch reciever on the front of my 5th so I can install a bike rack..

Anyway, here is a picture.

Grassy

Attachments

• 82e0_65_exp_sport_low_entry_blu_wht_sil_spzld_13_z.jpg
    82e0_65_exp_sport_low_entry_blu_wht_sil_spzld_13_z.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the info and pics. I actually test rode something similar to your Specialized Expedition Sport Low Entry bike, but for me the straight handlebars were too narrow for my comfort also I needed a super comfy seat.  I couldn't get comfy and still enjoy the flat foot when stopped. So my personal search continued until I discovered Day 6 at their homepage http://www.iowabicycles.com/

By the way I put my old Schwinn on the Craigslist, spent 2 hours writing a lengthy ad, trying to think up all the wonderful things to say about her. Posted quite a few pics, threw in some freebies and comedy for good measure.

I  had so little hope it would sell, given that Craigslist was overwelmed with hundreds and hundreds of used bicycles for sale. Well... my efforts were rewarded, my bicycle sold within the hour. I was in shock! I am still utterly amazed.

I paid $180 for it and 3 years later walked away with $60 cash.

I figured I was going to donate it before my park rent was up because I can't take it with me. Now I'm taking $60 cash with me instead.

All I can say is if you are selling something on Craigslist give the buyer a humongous heap of useful information and loads of pics. Many bicycle ads barely had one sentence and some of those were in the $2,000 and up price range!

Don't get me started on lousy RV ads... folks asking ridiculous prices and can't be bothered with writing out details or using up the 24 free pics Craigslist currently allows. But I digress...

I LOVE my bicycle, more pics coming soon, my rear rack just arrived, so I can hang my rear wicker baskets on my new bicycle. Woo hoo!

Congratulations on your new bike!  Very exciting!  We bought Townies by Electra.  Similar features in that they have the pedals further front so that you can put your feet down without catching them in the pedals.  You also sit up a little bit instead of hunched over like you do on more traditional bikes.  Big wide comfortable seats too.  As the name implies, it is designed for riding around town.  Not good for racing.  They come in 3, 7 and 21 speeds.  We bought the 7 speeds and find that that is plenty for our needs.  They are a little pricey, but we figured that these were the last bikes that we would be buying for yourselves, so we went for it and the good quality too.  Have fun and safe riding.

Dayn 6 are great comfortable bikes,  I bought the first one sold in Iowa back in 2004 or 05, the original owner designer Kelly was from western Iowa and sold part of the business to some one from Montana and they evidently ran it into the ground and closed in early 2014,  Kelly, must have gotten it back, never the less they are nice bikes.  Mine was stolen of my TT while in Roadrunner RV park in Las Vegas NV.  I ended up getting a Sun Recumbent Trike. 

I may have to add an electric motor to it. 

Attachments

• resizeimage_send.jpg
    resizeimage_send.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 24
Dream Chasers said:
Congratulations on your new bike!  Very exciting!  We bought Townies by Electra.  Similar features in that they have the pedals further front so that you can put your feet down without catching them in the pedals.  You also sit up a little bit instead of hunched over like you do on more traditional bikes.  Big wide comfortable seats too.  As the name implies, it is designed for riding around town.  Not good for racing.  They come in 3, 7 and 21 speeds.  We bought the 7 speeds and find that that is plenty for our needs.  They are a little pricey, but we figured that these were the last bikes that we would be buying for yourselves, so we went for it and the good quality too.  Have fun and safe riding.

Several bike shops were smitten with their Townies and I did test drive them but for me personally, I couldn't get it to work. My feet weren't flat on the ground when stopped, the handlebars were too narrow to be comfortable for me and the seat was a disaster for my physical challenges. But for many, they work out wonderfully well, just not for me with my myriad of physical considerations. My Schwinn allowed me to sit up and that was comfy on my back, but my hands still fell asleep.

I've only ridden my Day 6 for a week now, but I've put miles on her in a week than I normally put on the Schwinn in 2 months! Amazing.

Tom Hoffman said:
Dayn 6 are great comfortable bikes,  I bought the first one sold in Iowa back in 2004 or 05, the original owner designer Kelly was from western Iowa and sold part of the business to some one from Montana and they evidently ran it into the ground and closed in early 2014,  Kelly, must have gotten it back, never the less they are nice bikes.  Mine was stolen of my TT while in Roadrunner RV park in Las Vegas NV.  I ended up getting a Sun Recumbent Trike. 

I may have to add an electric motor to it.

Yes, Kelly got the business back and I hope he does fantastically well with it. He has been plenty accommodating for me! Many bike shops I called about a test ride, raved about the Day 6's but complained there was an inventory problem. Kelly has worked to relieve this so his usual dealers and new ones too will get back in the swing of things with bikes on hand to test ride and sell.

The fact yours was stolen (so sad!) might indicate it's popularity. I do lock mine up when not in use. I seem to be in a safe park, but still... we have sightseers driving through here all the time and one wonders sometimes if some are looking for easy pickings.

I also ride with my keys and heavy duty cable. I call this the good luck factor.

Plan for good luck and that's usually what happens.

Sometimes I am out on a bicycle and I want to stop and wander on foot or go inside a store or building etc. It's comforting to lock up the bike so that someone else doesn't feel the urgent need to ride off in it without my permission.

In Florida, it seems no matter where I stay, someone is hollering their unlocked bike vanished, usually overnight, so to anyone reading this, BUY A LOCK for your bicycle. It slows the thieves way down and most will just leave yours alone.

Mine is locked to my manual steps to the RV, if someone is messing with the lock or cable or bike, me swinging the front door open is sure to knock them silly.  ??? Besides, my dog is so noisy about anything setting foot or paw on his perceived camp lot. So I have a builtin live alarm too.

Yeah, we had a wimpy little cable lock and they snipped through it like a hot knife thru butter.  I replaced the cablewith a 3/8" X 6' length of log chain, and one of those heavy duty case hardened massive pad locks that you can't get a cutter on and you would need a bolt cutter with 6' handles and  serious strength to cut through a 3/8' chain link.  Problem with this massive chain, is you need a seperate trailer to pull along to have it with you when you go shopping. ;D ;D

I ride with a super heavy coated cable. It's pretty substantial in that it would seriously slow them down. At night the bicycle is locked to my RV and my doggy is nosy and noisy, so not like they can sneak up at all.

At stores, typically I can find a place to lock it up front like to the handicap sign. It is an adaptive aid for me.  ;D Some stores have bike racks though not enough!

The farmers market got a kick out of my bike, I was riding there twice a week this summer and filling up my baskets.

Below is 2 pics, the first is my old Schwinn and then the Day 6, after I have stripped the Schwinn, which sold right after it hit Craiglist, amazing!

Attachments

• Schwinn.jpg
    Schwinn.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Day 6 Bike with accessories moved over.JPG
    Day 6 Bike with accessories moved over.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 32
While outfitting my new bicycle with front basket, rear baskets, ding a ling bell, drink holder, bike lights, electric assist, leather streamers...

I came across a cool handlebar flower holder!

Oh my gosh. That might be so awesome, especially since some sweet soul just brought me a beautiful rose. I could put it on my bicycle in my handlebar vase.  http://amzn.to/1MyMAQJ

What next?

Attachments

• bicycle flower holder.jpg
    bicycle flower holder.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back