rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: How to stop telemarketers from calling you  (Read 8751 times)

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
How to stop telemarketers from calling you
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »
https://youtu.be/2BVbyCZXc5s

Use this as the message on your answering machine. The first three beeps are all you really need. When a telemarketer calls if those three beeps sound you will be deleted from their phone book. In less than a week all telemarketer calls should stop.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Re: How to stop telemarketers from calling you
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
I know it used to work that way but what if you answer the phone.. And will it work on cellular Voice Mail (Or will the 3 beeps hang up your call). 

If you can identify the caller read Title 47 Section 227 United States Code..  That too can stop them but frankly.. Most of 'em just laugh at you.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 04:45:50 PM »
I usually just say 'it's done.  But you better send the cleaner soon,  there's blood everywhere.'
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter,  mediocre guitar player.
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
I know it used to work that way but what if you answer the phone.. And will it work on cellular Voice Mail (Or will the 3 beeps hang up your call). 
Well the secret is if you are having telemarketers calling you then you never answer the phone directly for a week or so until you have gotten rid of the telemarketers. Listen to the caller and if it is someone you want to talk to then pick it up. I use it on my cellular voice mail. The three beeps don't hang up the call. It triggers the delete button and then the caller usually hangs up immediately. When I had a web site this was one of the programs I sold. Now it is free on the Internet.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »
Our experience is even though we have signed up for the "do not call list", we still get dozens of telemarketing calls. To hide from being reported, they disguise the name of the company. So there is no recourse for the consumer.

We get about 3 or 4 per day, and our caller ID says, "Michigan call", or "Texas call"....never the name of the caller. 
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 10:15:06 AM »
When buying something or opening accounts never give them your phone number.  Most ask for it even though it's not required.  We do not get many telemarketing calls.  Normally, I don't pick up if I don't recognize the number.  When I do and it's a telemarketer, I add the number to my contacts under the name SCAM.  It works. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 10:26:26 AM »
We're able to get the calls blocked. We purchased a device called CPR CallBlocker which hooks up to the phone line. When we answer a call and find that it's a telemarketer, we just click a "block" button on the device and that takes care of it. No more calls from that number.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Dog Folks

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »
All our friends/family are entered into the phone so that the screen will tell us if one is calling.

Otherwise, the phone picks up with the follow message: "You have reached__________. We are sorry but our system does not recognize your number. Failure to leave a message will result in the permanent blocking of your number. Thank you."

It seems to work.
Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur babies"-- a Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix. Both are rescue dogs.

Full time traveler since June 2006

Frizlefrak

• ---
  • El Paso, Texas
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 03:46:46 PM »
All our friends/family are entered into the phone so that the screen will tell us if one is calling.

Otherwise, the phone picks up with the follow message: "You have reached__________. We are sorry but our system does not recognize your number. Failure to leave a message will result in the permanent blocking of your number. Thank you."

It seems to work.

I like that.  I'm shamelessly going to plagiarize your work here.  :)
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Palomino 30' TT

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »
friz,what an ingenious idea. Too bad my rotary black phone doesn't have a screen,

I also still use the XP browser. LOL.
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F

Dog Folks

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 09:44:40 AM »
I like that.  I'm shamelessly going to plagiarize your work here.  :)

Feel free.  We are all friends here.
Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur babies"-- a Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix. Both are rescue dogs.

Full time traveler since June 2006

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/2BVbyCZXc5s

Use this as the message on your answering machine. The first three beeps are all you really need. When a telemarketer calls if those three beeps sound you will be deleted from their phone book. In less than a week all telemarketer calls should stop.

What if a legitimate caller calls about something important when you're not there? I do still get an occasional legitimate phone call.

If I am next to the phone and not too busy, I like to answer and if a telemarketer asks for someone I will tell them to hold on,I'll get that person,then I'll set the phone down.They will usually hold on for about a minute before giving up.I figure it keeps them from bothering someone else for a few minutes.
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
What if a legitimate caller calls about something important when you're not there? I do still get an occasional legitimate phone call.
If you know you are not going to be home then turn off the answering machine.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »
When a telemarketer calls, hand the phone to your 4 year granddaughter and tell it's Santa Claus.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

yolo

• ---
  • You Only Live Once
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 06:00:01 PM »
I use an Android app called Mr. Number.  It will hang up on the spam callers, or if you wish send them to voice mail.  It will still ring the phone before disconnecting the call.  My phone I have set up to tell me the caller id with the ring so normally if I hear Unidentified caller or Unknown caller I don't answer and Mr. Number hangs up for me.  Some of the newer spammers are sending their caller id as my phone number, so It says that I am calling myself.

All of this even though I am on the 'Do Not Call List'.  So much for that list.
Bill Bell -- SW Florida
Sailboat -> Powerboat -> Motorhome -> Rest Home -> Funeral Home
Presently between Motorhome and Rest Home

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 06:24:09 PM »
The fault isn't with the "Do not call list", it's with the modern phone system that allows calls from anywhere in the world to appear as if they came from your next door neighbor on Caller ID. Many of the spam/scam calls originate from outside the US where the list usage cannot be enforced. I've found "NoMoRobo" to be effective for spam/scam calls to our VOIP number, and the "CallControl" app to be quite good on our Android smartphones.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

rebelsun

• ---
  • Don't confuse kindness for weakness
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
friz,what an ingenious idea. Too bad my rotary black phone doesn't have a screen,

I also still use the XP browser. LOL.
Did you at least spring for a private line, or are you still on a party line?
Riding the Highway through Hell in our 2000 Chevy 3500 Gulfstream Class C, with a
Honda Shadow AERO motorcycle and trailer in tow.
Retired and living in Palm Bay, Fl.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
We've had community call blocking (nomorobo) for a couple of years.  Some still get through.  As was previously posted number spoofing is how they get around it. 

Maybe someone will come up with a way of detecting spoofed numbers and we can foil them with a simple setting 'do not accept calls from spoofed numbers'.

I've suggested this to my VOIP provider (Ooma) several times.  As well as a star code to add the last incoming call to the explicit blocking list. 

I especially like it when 'Windows' calls and tells me there is a problem with my computer. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:05:51 PM by 8Muddypaws »

briguy1981

• ---
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 04:18:30 AM »
I recently had a call where they asked for someone, and after I responded with think you have the wrong wrong number she said "oh, maybe you can help me then. I am  calling for..."
I can't remember what it was so I said no thanks and hung up.  If I am not at home so I can check the yard or have Zoe right next to me it is best for me to answer unknown numbers, since if she thinks I am gone she will jump the fence sometimes.
I can leave the gate open and no problem, but if I leave the six foot fence is nothing for my border collie. With that I have to answer, I have my number on her  collar, if they go through petwatch that shows, but otherwise it's from the person. And about 75% of the time if I don't have the number in my cell already it's a survey or you've won such and such call.  >:(

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
If you know you are not going to be home then turn off the answering machine.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having an answering machine...
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 11:44:05 AM »
When buying something or opening accounts never give them your phone number.  Most ask for it even though it's not required.  We do not get many telemarketing calls.  Normally, I don't pick up if I don't recognize the number.  When I do and it's a telemarketer, I add the number to my contacts under the name SCAM.  It works.

I usually give them SeilerBirds phone number....that gets rid of them
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 02:09:54 PM »
Kinda defeats the purpose of having an answering machine...
You only need to do this for a week to get rid of the telemarketers then go back to normal.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
I usually give them SeilerBirds phone number....that gets rid of them
What a coincidence. I was giving them your phone number.... ;D
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 07:26:35 PM »
When you pick up the phone and you say hello, there is usually a lag time before the caller starts his sale.

You see the computer is doing the dialing, and when the person sees that the call was answered, too late.  If there is no answer right away hang up, it is a computer generated call.
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 07:47:30 PM »
If I don't recognize the number, I like to answer with, "New Haven field office, special agent Johnson". For some reason, they usually hang up and don't call back.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 08:20:12 PM »
Actual outgoing message one of my friends left on his machine for about 6 months.

"You've reached the Zzzzzzzzzzz Valley obscene phone call hotline.  All of our perverts are busy on other calls at the moment but if you leave your number your call will be returned in the order it was received".

It kinda backfired on him though, he got hundreds of calls a day as word got out.

CWSWine

• ---
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »
Got a call today from America Tech Support saying they have detected problems with my Microsoft Windows.
I Said: Really whatís the problem?
He Said: We have detected a problem you need to sit down in front of your Microsoft Windows and we can fix the problems.
I said: Ok, Iím in front of my Windows.
He Said: What do you see?
I said: My front yard and car driving by.
He Said: No, your Microsoft Windows.
I said: Sorry I didnít understand just a second I will get in front of my Microsoft Windows.
He Said: Now what you see?
I said: I see my back yard and patio.
He said: NO, thatís not Microsoft Windows.
I said: Youíre right. Theyíre Pella Windows, can you still help me.
CLICK
-Dennis
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 380HP 1150 Foot Pounds Torque 41.3 feet bath and half.
Toads - 2017 Jeep Sahara & 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
sold 2017 GMC Denali 3500 Diesel CC 3744
sold 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 - Montana 3711 Front Living Room

dpickard

• ---
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »

I ordered the CPR Callblocker.  WOW!

This thing works like a charm and was incredibly easy to set up.

I am loving it!
Gil and Dianne
Piedmont area NC
2007 Allegro Bus 40 QDP

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 05:03:26 PM »
The fault isn't with the "Do not call list", it's with the modern phone system that allows calls from anywhere in the world to appear as if they came from your next door neighbor on Caller ID. Many of the spam/scam calls originate from outside the US where the list usage cannot be enforced. I've found "NoMoRobo" to be effective for spam/scam calls to our VOIP number, and the "CallControl" app to be quite good on our Android smartphones.
Thanks NY_Dutch. I followed your link to CallControl and I was impressed with their write up to install it. Here is what they say about their app:

The Original FREE Community Blacklist and Call Blocker app. Automatically blacklist and block thousands of robocalls and spam callers instantly. Reverse phone lookup millions of numbers, even spam callers, for free! Easy to use and powerful, Call Control is the best call blocker, text blocker and reverse phone lookup app available.
Tons of features like blocking calls from private & unknown callers, personal blacklist, Do Not Disturb mode, text SMS filter, Community Blacklist, blocked call log and more!

Call Control is a full featured blacklist and call blocker that's super easy to use and is used by more than 12M users to block unwanted calls and texts. Calls are blocked silently without you ever knowing someone called!

Features:
-   Download completely FREE!
-       Powerful call blocker and blacklist (text SMS blacklist too)!
-   Block robocalls, telemarketers and other spammers automatically with our Community Blacklist feature.
-   Enhanced Caller ID - Know whoís calling you even if you donít have the number as a contact.
-   Personal Blacklist - Block any phone number or area code, using wild cards and more.
-   Block violators of the FTC/FCC Do Not Call list automatically.
-   Free Reverse Phone Lookup for spam callers to find out who called you.
-   Do Not Disturb - Easily schedule when you donít want to receive calls.
-       Supports message blocking in all OS, including KitKat and Lollipop.

Join a community of over 12M people who trust Call Control to take back their phones.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots: