How to stop telemarketers from calling you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

https://youtu.be/2BVbyCZXc5s

Use this as the message on your answering machine. The first three beeps are all you really need. When a telemarketer calls if those three beeps sound you will be deleted from their phone book. In less than a week all telemarketer calls should stop.

I know it used to work that way but what if you answer the phone.. And will it work on cellular Voice Mail (Or will the 3 beeps hang up your call). 

If you can identify the caller read Title 47 Section 227 United States Code..  That too can stop them but frankly.. Most of 'em just laugh at you.

I usually just say 'it's done.  But you better send the cleaner soon,  there's blood everywhere.'

John From Detroit said:
I know it used to work that way but what if you answer the phone.. And will it work on cellular Voice Mail (Or will the 3 beeps hang up your call). 
Well the secret is if you are having telemarketers calling you then you never answer the phone directly for a week or so until you have gotten rid of the telemarketers. Listen to the caller and if it is someone you want to talk to then pick it up. I use it on my cellular voice mail. The three beeps don't hang up the call. It triggers the delete button and then the caller usually hangs up immediately. When I had a web site this was one of the programs I sold. Now it is free on the Internet.

Our experience is even though we have signed up for the "do not call list", we still get dozens of telemarketing calls. To hide from being reported, they disguise the name of the company. So there is no recourse for the consumer.

We get about 3 or 4 per day, and our caller ID says, "Michigan call", or "Texas call"....never the name of the caller. 

When buying something or opening accounts never give them your phone number.  Most ask for it even though it's not required.  We do not get many telemarketing calls.  Normally, I don't pick up if I don't recognize the number.  When I do and it's a telemarketer, I add the number to my contacts under the name SCAM.  It works. 

We're able to get the calls blocked. We purchased a device called CPR CallBlocker which hooks up to the phone line. When we answer a call and find that it's a telemarketer, we just click a "block" button on the device and that takes care of it. No more calls from that number.

All our friends/family are entered into the phone so that the screen will tell us if one is calling.

Otherwise, the phone picks up with the follow message: "You have reached__________. We are sorry but our system does not recognize your number. Failure to leave a message will result in the permanent blocking of your number. Thank you."

It seems to work.

Dog Folks said:
All our friends/family are entered into the phone so that the screen will tell us if one is calling.

Otherwise, the phone picks up with the follow message: "You have reached__________. We are sorry but our system does not recognize your number. Failure to leave a message will result in the permanent blocking of your number. Thank you."

It seems to work.

I like that.  I'm shamelessly going to plagiarize your work here.  :)

friz,what an ingenious idea. Too bad my rotary black phone doesn't have a screen,

I also still use the XP browser. LOL.

SeilerBird said:
https://youtu.be/2BVbyCZXc5s

Use this as the message on your answering machine. The first three beeps are all you really need. When a telemarketer calls if those three beeps sound you will be deleted from their phone book. In less than a week all telemarketer calls should stop.

What if a legitimate caller calls about something important when you're not there? I do still get an occasional legitimate phone call.

If I am next to the phone and not too busy, I like to answer and if a telemarketer asks for someone I will tell them to hold on,I'll get that person,then I'll set the phone down.They will usually hold on for about a minute before giving up.I figure it keeps them from bothering someone else for a few minutes.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
What if a legitimate caller calls about something important when you're not there? I do still get an occasional legitimate phone call.
If you know you are not going to be home then turn off the answering machine.

When a telemarketer calls, hand the phone to your 4 year granddaughter and tell it's Santa Claus.

I use an Android app called Mr. Number.  It will hang up on the spam callers, or if you wish send them to voice mail.  It will still ring the phone before disconnecting the call.  My phone I have set up to tell me the caller id with the ring so normally if I hear Unidentified caller or Unknown caller I don't answer and Mr. Number hangs up for me.  Some of the newer spammers are sending their caller id as my phone number, so It says that I am calling myself.

All of this even though I am on the 'Do Not Call List'.  So much for that list.

The fault isn't with the "Do not call list", it's with the modern phone system that allows calls from anywhere in the world to appear as if they came from your next door neighbor on Caller ID. Many of the spam/scam calls originate from outside the US where the list usage cannot be enforced. I've found "NoMoRobo" to be effective for spam/scam calls to our VOIP number, and the "CallControl" app to be quite good on our Android smartphones.

carson said:
friz,what an ingenious idea. Too bad my rotary black phone doesn't have a screen,

I also still use the XP browser. LOL.
Did you at least spring for a private line, or are you still on a party line?

We've had community call blocking (nomorobo) for a couple of years.  Some still get through.  As was previously posted number spoofing is how they get around it. 

Maybe someone will come up with a way of detecting spoofed numbers and we can foil them with a simple setting 'do not accept calls from spoofed numbers'.

I've suggested this to my VOIP provider (Ooma) several times.  As well as a star code to add the last incoming call to the explicit blocking list. 

I especially like it when 'Windows' calls and tells me there is a problem with my computer. 

I recently had a call where they asked for someone, and after I responded with think you have the wrong wrong number she said "oh, maybe you can help me then. I am  calling for..."
I can't remember what it was so I said no thanks and hung up.  If I am not at home so I can check the yard or have Zoe right next to me it is best for me to answer unknown numbers, since if she thinks I am gone she will jump the fence sometimes.
I can leave the gate open and no problem, but if I leave the six foot fence is nothing for my border collie. With that I have to answer, I have my number on her  collar, if they go through pe****ch that shows, but otherwise it's from the person. And about 75% of the time if I don't have the number in my cell already it's a survey or you've won such and such call.  :mad:

Back
Top Bottom