Road tripping with a BIG printer - Wear and tear? Humidity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kino

I'm hoping that other photographers would have experience with this... (my TT would be more for work travel reasons, less for vacationing)

Hopefully this isn't too silly to ask but I am curious. Going to art conventions and bringing my Epson along would be a dream come true. I would never have to worry about restocking.

But- would a big Epson 3880 stand up to the amount of jostling on the road? If I am printing in a trailer - humidity can be damaging.

How foolish would it be to bring my printer?

We've carried a very small printer, about the size of a cigarette carton, for at least ten years without problems.  We don't use it very much because we're not working, but many people on this forum are still working and carry things like printers.  Our biggest problem is the ink cartridge drying out because we don't use it enough.  Of course we're mostly in the desert southwest so humidity isn't an issue.

ArdraF

I wouldn't expect a problem. We carry an A size printer, but I wouldn't have any reservations about bringing my B size printer if I had need. I do put printers on the bed while traveling.

Ernie

I would think your biggest problem will be humidity unless you travel in the desert Southwest or other dry areas. Oregon, not so much.

We carried an HP Laserjet 5 and it rode well on the carpeted floor, and as Ernie says, the best ride is on the bed.

Humidity does a number on paper media with printers having fine tolerances, so.... you could always test the solution by steaming up your shower with the media and printer in it.  8)

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

Kim

We just stay where it's warm enough to have to run the ac. No humidity problems at all. I'm sure a dehumidifier would serve as well.

Ernie

I gave up my EPSON 3880 when we went full time and now use COSTCO and WALMART when I want prints. Granted they are not as good as I used to get, but I just couldn't find the room for the EPSON and supplies. Now I get by with the smallest laser printer I could find. When I want a custom print on canvas, I use an internet lab. Seems to workout OK.

You know we are talking about a large format printer right? some might even call it a plotter.

I can't say for sure about the Epson, I used to work for HP in the designjet department.
we had a fellow that carried a large format printer in the back of his pickup. under a cap. had it suspended from bungee cords. we were not allowed to help him because he had voided the warranty.
However - if your not printing while moving (he was) you should be fine.
Also the Toronto Raptors plane was "painted" with an HP designjet printer on a crane...we were not allowed to trouble shoot that one either :)

You should be fine with this, assuming as 1275gtsport mentioned, you're not trying to print while moving. The motion will actually help keep the ink carts agitated so pigments don't settle. I don't remember if the 3880 has a park head option, but if so I would use that. Don't let it get too cold or hot - if you're comfortable the printer will be too.

Jon Canfield
author, Print Like a Pro

Back
Top Bottom