Power cord question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eckert4428

So I just took the plunge and after years of looking and talking about it, finally bought an RV!!!! Got what I think is a really good deal on a 2000 Keystone Montana Model 3255RL. I'm totally new to RV'ing so I'm probably going to rely on these forums quite a bit as they have been very helpful and informative so far! So 1st question, the receptacle for a power cord on the back of the unit is 50 amp 125/250V. Looks round with 3 connectors. I'm having a heck of a time with all the choices online to figure out what I need. At home I have a 220 plug in the shed next to the camper, so connecting to that'd be ideal. Sorry for the long-winded opening post, and thanks in advance for everyone's advice/help!

This is the cord you probably need:

http://www.amazon.com/NU-CORD-94579-25-Feet-30-Amp-Extension/dp/B000IPAK9S/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1444940142&sr=1-1&keywords=30+amp+rv+power+cord

To plug in at home you will need an adaptor to go from 30 amp to 20 amp like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Generator-Adapter-Straight-Connector/dp/B003I2RZRS/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1444940256&sr=1-7&keywords=30+amp+to+20+amp+rv+adapter

Neither of those look right. I'll try and get a picture and post it. And point taken on the 220, thanks you!

Eckert4428 said:
So I just took the plunge and after years of looking and talking about it, finally bought an RV!!!! Got what I think is a really good deal on a 2000 Keystone Montana Model 3255RL. I'm totally new to RV'ing so I'm probably going to rely on these forums quite a bit as they have been very helpful and informative so far! So 1st question, the receptacle for a power cord on the back of the unit is 50 amp 125/250V. Looks round with 3 connectors. I'm having a heck of a time with all the choices online to figure out what I need. At home I have a 220 plug in the shed next to the camper, so connecting to that'd be ideal. Sorry for the long-winded opening post, and thanks in advance for everyone's advice/help!

It is probably a 30 AMPS entrance with only 3 connectors !
If it was a 5 connector cord, then it would be a 50 AMPS entrance

legrandnormand said:
It is probably a 30 AMPS entrance with only 3 connectors !
If it was a 5 connector cord, then it would be a 50 AMPS entrance

50A plugs have 4 pins, not 5. No RV AC connector has 5 pins.

You should have gotten a power cord with the trailer that has the matching Marinco twist lock connector on one end, and a standard RV 30 amp (120-3 terminal) or 50 amp (120/240-4 terminal) plug on the other end. Which plug you need can be figured out by the size/type of main breaker in the power panel. The outlet in your shed MAY be usable, but we'll need more information about it. Is it a three or four terminal 220 outlet? Three would indicate no neutral, making it unusable. Four terminals would likely indicate a usable outlet, but a volt meter would still be needed to verify the connections. If it checks out, then it's just a question of figuring out what, if any, adapter might be needed.

You will probably need a cord like this then:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BNZGCS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

50 amp servvice is 4 wire.. NOW the connector on your RV is most likely a Marinco.. Properly done it is very weather resistant.  Any RV deraler will have a cord for you if one was not included.. The plug end of the cord however is quite different from the outlet end (the end that plugs into the inlet on the RV)

IF your 50 amp Garage outlet is 4 wire, and IF the NEUTRAL wire is the same size as the hot legs.. An electrician can simply swap out the outlet there now with a proper RV outelt

IF ti's a 3-wire, you will need to swap out the wire as well. that... Gets way more expensive.

YOU CAN NOT PLUG AN RV into a 3-wire 240 volt outlet safely.

I think they'll find they do have 50 Amp . There are 3 pins and the fourth is actually at the top of the receptacle which can't be seen. It's something like a ball and it runs along a stainless stall surface on the outside of the plug as you push it in. This is what he needs to adapt down to 30 amp. The round end of the  adapter plugs into the RV.

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14381-Pigtail-Adapter-Connector/dp/B002CZ7D60/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1444947236&sr=8-15&keywords=50-30+amp+rv+adapter

My 50 AMP RV cord has the round plug on the RV end and then it has the standard 4 pin male plug to connect to the shore power pedestal.

John:

I am not questioning you, but help me understand...
You can not use a 3 wire 240V because it is 2 hots and a neutral - no ground?
A three wire 30 A RV is hot, neutral, ground?
Thanks

SeilerBird said:
"Looks round with 3 connectors."

Sounds like a 30 amp to me.
Tom, as Rene pointed out, the 50 amp Marinco SS2-50R looks like a 3 terminal twist lock, but it has a curved ground terminal on the side of the receptacle that engages a spring loaded ball in trailer mounted SS2-50P.

Attachments

• 237214.jpg
    237214.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 37
NY_Dutch said:
Tom, as Rene pointed out, the 50 amp Marinco SS2-50R looks like a 3 terminal twist lock, but it has a curved ground terminal on the side of the receptacle that engages a spring loaded ball in trailer mounted SS2-50P.
I have never seen one like that. My bad.

Be aware that there are at least 2 types of that 50 amp twist lock. The marine type will not interchange with the land type. Just ordering one willy-nilly off the internet may result in disappointment. Be sure it matches your need.

Ken

grashley said:
John:

I am not questioning you, but help me understand...
You can not use a 3 wire 240V because it is 2 hots and a neutral - no ground?
A three wire 30 A RV is hot, neutral, ground?
Thanks

Depends on the plug/socket.. At the park end of the cord exactly as you typed

At the RV end what appears to be a 3-wire inlet is actually a 4-wire inlet.. On the outlet one of the contacts is on the outside (I believe this is the ground lead w/o looking) so you actually have 4 wires.. You just do not see the 4th till you look..

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/50-amp-125-250v-flanged-inlet-with-power-smart-led/69571

In the link the 4th contact is around the 7pm position on the inlet.. It looks like a metal spring (And is)  If you look at the 30 amp version of this same item that part is not there. 

Back
Top Bottom