Aperture Grief

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

Apple no longer supports Aperture.
Is there software that can match or better Aperture? I used the slideshows, and music integration a lot and looking for software that can match or beat Aperture.
Would like to stay on the Apple platform.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

Do you really need support? My wife has the same issue and was told Photos would be expanded to be more like Aperture, but that's vaporware at the moment.

Personally, as long as the product runs, I am willing to wear out the bits before I give up something that works for me. User groups tend to provide the kind of support you might need anyway, so it's kind of like when an RV maker goes out of business, you don't immediately lose the value of that product.

I have watched a lot of unsupported software over the last 45 years have a life of its own. You never know who might add hooks to it later. Just a thought!

Kim

Tin Man, have you looked at the discussions on dpreview?  There are several threads relating to Aperture vs Lightoom vs Capture One vs Photos.  You can find the discussions by going to "dpreview.com" then "Forums" then "Mac Talk".  You might consider posting your questions regarding alternatives to Aperture on that forum.  If you are not familiar with dpreview it is the same as most forums.  You have to sort out who the experts are.

The pro-photographers I know who used Aperture, first learned Lightroom at the beginning of their careers and then moved on to Aperture or Capture One. These photographers are all commercial photographers. After a few grumbles about Apple's decision not to support Aperture they accepted the fact and went back to Lightroom.  You will find a lot of Lightroom tutorials on the web including Adobes' user groups and forums.

I'm a pro-portrait photographer and use Photoshop, Lightroom, and a handful of portrait plugins.  I would eventually like to add Topaz and Nik for some fine art portraiture.  As far as slideshows and music integration are concerned I use Animoto.  (Your needs for slideshows and music might be very different from mine.)

One of the problems is that when I upgraded my OS it removed my ability to use aperture and IPhoto. I was thinking of using time machine  and go back to last year to before I upgraded.

One of the nice features of aperture is I am able to add music fade in and out when I do slideshows.  I researched Adobe last night, and viewed some tuterals.

Last upgrade is ElCapitan working on a iMac 25.1 2013 late. I have all the original chips for photos, and extensive backup.

Hi Tin man,

I just updated my Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Creative Cloud and was reviewing recent release notes to see what is new and different. 

I noticed a five minute tutorial by Julianne Kost on Lightroom CC's Advanced Video Slideshows that can create polished slideshows that can include video, stills, sync to music, and has pan and zoom features.  Here's the link:
[/i]https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/how-to/slideshow-with-music-pan-zoom.html

If I read the release notes correctly it seems that this month Adobe introduced a redesigned import tool that makes it easier to import images from Aperture into Lightroom CC. 

Have you considered signing up for Adobe's free 30 day trial to see how you like it?  I've never regretted switching to Adobe CC at $9.99 per month even though I own the last two versions of Photoshop and Lightroom.  I you decide to check out Lightroom CC's Advanced Video Slideshow please let me know what you think and how it compares to Aperture.

Hi Blue Sky's;

I watched the video last week, and there are two things that did not impress me.  One it is a pay each month which I am not fond of. The real guts is that the music cannot be edited as well as with Appature. Example: I have pictures of Trevi Fountain in Italy. I can edit the song Three coins is the fountain, and clip the music to fit, as well as fade in and out.  Cannot be done with Adobe..

I am still able to use Appature on my laptop, but I have to be careful with updates.  Hoping someone picks up Appature and bring it back to life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom