Interested in buying a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmiller377

My wife and I recently traded in our fifth wheel for a motorhome.  While we liked the fifth wheel, it was too large (40') for short trips so we now have a 31' motorhome that has some more of the creature comforts such as automatic leveling and slide toppers.  We are interested in purchasing a decent dinghy (that my wife will drive during the week), under 4000# and with an automatic.  If anyone has any recommendations, I'm open to hearing them.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Miller

Probably one of the most common ones you will see being towed are 2 door Jeep Wranglers. Easy to set up to tow, and weigh in at about #3500. Price varies widely by how new it is, and what options it has.

I tow a Jeep Wrangler, however the build bug bit me...twice and my Jeep has gained some weight. I still tow the Jeep but mostly just to 4 wheel drive events. I began looking at a smaller car such as the Ford Escape (2,600#) or the Ford Focus (2,800#). The Chevy Sonic is gaining popularity as a toad, I am not a Chevy fan though.

I am looking at the smaller Ford for weight, easily towable, and drivablity. 

Before you buy a toad, do research as to what vehicle can be towed. ie flat four, flat four with trans oil pump, tow dolly or no towing at all. I just went through this with a vw 5 speed, ask enough questions from different sources. I found Remco,  I think that was the name, they make oil pump systems  for transmissions, they set me straight as to what I could do. Good luck.

Honda CRVs & Fits are popular, but the 2015 & later models aren't towable. Ford Fiesta & Focus qualifies nicely in your weight range, as does Chevy Sonic. A GMC Terrain would sneak in under 4000 as well.

If you are looking at older models, there may be more choices. Recently several small car models that used to be towable have dropped out of the picture do to transmission changes. You can view year-by-year dinghy (toad) towing guides here:
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Back
Top Bottom