The results are in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
We've had people in the past ask what members do to winterize their home when leaving for a extended period of time like snowbirding to a warmer climate. One of the concerns is that the water in their traps will evaporate and when they come home , the stench may be overwhelming from sewer gases. I conducted a informal test.

I found two pill bottles about 1-1/2" diameter (almost the same size as drain piping) and cut the tops off. I filled both of them up to just about full and marked the full line. In one of them I put in a tablespoon of vegetable oil and I placed both bottles on a shelf. This was on 9/12/15. After only 5 weeks, I just checked the water level on both bottles and I found this. The bottle with only water, the level had dropped 2" just from evaporation. The other bottle with the oil, the level didn't drop at all.

So if you're wondering on what to use in your traps and your toilet to prevent evaporation, go with vegetable oil. It works.  I know it will stop evaporation from the house side of the traps but may not from sewer side unless you dump in enough so that it flows over to the other side of the "P" trap. You also may need to put a couple of ounces in your toilet. This may be useless information for some people but just thought I'd pass it on. Have a great day.  ;)

When we head north for the summer, we put vegetable oil down all the traps and also in each toilet.  When we return in the fall, the toilets still have water in them, as do the traps.  It's the easiest way to prevent evaporation.  One bottle of oil does the whole house with 2 full bathrooms.  Don't forget the washing machine drain.

Ned said:
When we head north for the summer, we put vegetable oil down all the traps and also in each toilet.  When we return in the fall, the toilets still have water in them, as do the traps.  It's the easiest way to prevent evaporation.  One bottle of oil does the whole house with 2 full bathrooms.  Don't forget the washing machine drain.

And the shower.

If the water is still turned on to the house, shut off the tap to the toilet tanks; if the flapper fails for some reason you will have a huge water bill when you get home. I found out the expensive way.... $ 300.00
  Also turn off the washer hoses.

A freezer bag filled with water also creates a good seal. We stretch shrink wrap over the toilet bowl.

Back
Top Bottom