EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Transport 40 lb Propane tank  (Read 2826 times)

bestyett

• ---
Transport 40 lb Propane tank
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:36:21 PM »
Greetings!
What an unbelievable resource for the newbie RV'er! After several rentals to test the waters, my wife and I are proud owners of a 2015 Holiday Rambler Vacationer!
As we love to tailgate at Penn State games, mmy question is what would be the safest way to transport a 40 lb propane tank in basement storage areas?
Thanks!
2015 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Toad - 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Educators looking for next adventure
W/ our rescue Stella!
Not sure who rescued who!
Philly & Penn State fans!

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Transport 40 lb Propane tank
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
Greetings!
What an unbelievable resource for the newbie RV'er! After several rentals to test the waters, my wife and I are proud owners of a 2015 Holiday Rambler Vacationer!
As we love to tailgate at Penn State games, mmy question is what would be the safest way to transport a 40 lb propane tank in basement storage areas?
Thanks!

Is it the same diameter as a 20 or 30 lb. tank? If it is, how about putting a milk crate on both ends and then just lay it down in the compartment. The crates will keep it from rolling around. You could also tie the crates together so there's no chance of them working their way off the tank.

Update: I just checked on the Home Depot web Site and the 20, 30 and 40 lb. tanks are all the same diameter so there's a good chance the milk crate will work.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:57:33 PM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »
One milk crate will do the trick, it's a pretty snug fit. I use some 2 x 6 lumber to the front and side, to keep it from sliding around in the compartment.

Maybe not DOT approved, but that's how I've been carrying a 30 pounder for years.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 08:50:31 PM »
If I recall, DOT regs require that LP bottles be carried in ventilated areas, e.g. in the open or with some sort of ventilation duct/screen to provide fresh air (in case of gas leakage).

Not saying I've never carried one inside a car or compartment, but there are legit reasons to be careful about an LP bottle in an enclosed space (especially if its a warm space).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
Very true, and you definitely don't want the relief valve to operate while the tank is on its side.

Thinking back, the LP compartment wasn't vented on my 5th wheel.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 12:23:41 AM »
Greetings,

From my understanding (local propane dealer who I trust) LP tanks must also be transported in an upright position (vertical). The relief value won't function right if it is laid down. Best!
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 01:29:09 AM »
Yes - you definitely need to transport a propane tank upright, in a vented compartment.   Propane is heavier than air, so any leakage will settle at the low point in the compartment like an invisible puddle of water unless there's a low point vent for it to escape.

Propane is stored as a liquid with a vapor pocket at the top of the tank.  This provides room for the liquid to expand into as the tank warms up.  If the liquid expands too much, the overpressure release valve vents vapor until the pressure returns to safe levels.

If the tank is lying on it's side, the release valve can be submerged into the liquid propane, and will vent liquid instead of vapor.  You don't want this to happen as liquid propane is 270 times denser than vapor, which means any release of liquid propane will instantly expand into 270 times as much vapor as soon as it exits the tank.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:45:46 AM by Lou Schneider »

whiteva

• ---
    • Nibbler the traveling squirrel
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:02:55 AM »
Here is the result of LP inside a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-nOPvXiIWQ
2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Nibbler & Shadeaux the black cat. http://www.acroflyer.com/nibbler/

JX2Fields

• ---
  • Northern California
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 07:46:33 AM »
 Those people were lucky. My wife's cousin had her three small children( one boy and twin girls ) in the back seat of her car. She had just had two propane tanks filled and put in the trunk of the car, after leaving she smelled propane pulled over shut the car off, got out opened the trunk and tightened the valves more (this was 35 years ago no plugs or automatic shut off) got back in the car stared it and it exploded into flames. She was able to get out and get 2 of the children out the third girl died in the car. Please do not carry propane in an enclosed space of a vehicle.
John & Judy
2015 Keystone cougar 29RLI
2006 comfort trailblazer moved up in 2015
2013 F 250 crewcab
2 English Springer Spaniels

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 08:23:03 AM »
The chances of having a propane leak during transport are tiny, but the potential damage if there is a leak is horrific.

Are you really transporting a 40 lb LP tank? Those are quite large (about 30" tall) and probably won't fit in any RV basement. The tank size (in lbs) refers to the amount of propane it can carry (capacity), so a "40 lb" LP tank actually weighs around 70 lb when full.  I suspect you are talking about the usual 20# tank size, which weighs about 38 lb when full.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »
CAN it be done? Sure...SHOULD it be done? Hell NO!

http://www.ferrellgas.com/Resource_/PageResource/small_cylinder_safety.pdf
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »
We have a 30 lb cylinder we carry upright in a ventilated bin to use when we stay long enough somewhere that the on board 25 gallon (100 lb) tank will not be enough capacity. We also have a 40 lb cylinder that we use at our Adirondack cottage, but it's about 4" too tall to fit in the coach bin. I'm considering modifying the bin with a dropped bottom section to accommodate the larger cylinder.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »
On a previous coach I installed a steel lattice floor in the bay that provided generator access, so that I could carry LP bottles in there. Plenty of ventilation and a good use of otherwise empty space.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

bestyett

• ---
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 06:20:09 PM »
Thanks for everyones replies.
Yes, Gary, the tank thar weighs @40 lbs.
Great tip on the lattice floor.   Thoughts on the small propane bottles that attach to tabletop grilles?
2015 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Toad - 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Educators looking for next adventure
W/ our rescue Stella!
Not sure who rescued who!
Philly & Penn State fans!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »
The little 1# portable bottles do not have a relief vent, so are not required to have outside ventilation. That's why they can stock them on the shelves at Walmart & such.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Hosted by Over The Network