Approached...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GemiNiveK

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, or if there even IS a right forum for this, but...

Purchased our first RV (a 32' Winnebago Brave) in early July.  Spent most of July getting it roadworthy...little stuff like fixing the damned auto-park brake (replaced RGS and then solenoid valve) and cleaning/rebuilding the carb for the genset.  Since then we've put nearly 3,000 miles, camped about  25 times at 9 different properties (mostly COE properties on/near lakes).

On about our fifth outing, this time without our kiddos, after parking and getting a good fire going (so within about 30 minutes of arrival) we were "approached" by another couple from a nearby site...they basically asked us what we were "into" and if we wanted to hang, drink, then "see where things went."  We were a little stunned and of course politely declined.  My sweetheart was very confused by this and a little worried since we're reasonably new to camping.  I convinced her that they were probably drunk (although I honestly couldn't tell if that was the case), or that perhaps there was some other "event" going on at the campground and they just assumed we were a part of it.  The couple was otherwise polite and generally not what we'd typically consider to be creepy.  So we both wrote it off as a freak occurrence.

But then just this last weekend we were at a completely different campground, freezing to death (it got near freezing here) and essentially the same thing happened...  While walking our two tiny dogs and waving to other campers who took notice of them, we were approached by yet another couple and asked if we'd like to hang out, have some drinks and watch baseball on their big screen LED TV.  We figured it was just a neighborly invite and declined saying that we basically needed to stay with our dogs and get them back to our rig/site.  But then they dropped the bomb...  They suggested that after we took our dogs back we could head back to their 5th wheel and stay as long as we liked and maybe even put on our PJs in case we wanted to crash.  Who the Hell abandons their dogs to go "crash" at a neighboring site?  So since I'm a fairly bold person I came right out and asked if they were trying to pick us up, and after stammering around a bit they conceded that yes, that's essentially what they had in mind but that there was certainly "no pressure" and that they "didn't intend to offend us."

We're a couple in our mid-40s, no Ken and Barbie but not hard to look at, either.  The first couple to approach us was probably in their mid to late 50s and it was on a Thursday night.  The couple this past weekend was much closer to our age, perhaps even a little younger.  And we were walking around in jeans, pull-overs, and baseball caps...with dogs...not half-naked with cocktails.  So delete this post if it's horribly inappropriate to discuss this here but, WHAT THE HELL?  Are RV campgrounds or parts thereof known to be popular swinger hang-outs?  Most of the time we just see what we assume to be retirees or families.  So while these two experiences are exceptions, we still think that two such occurrences within a few months is STRANGELY FREQUENT!

And no, we didn't "hook up"...  Sorry if that's why you were still reading...  :)

Anyone else have similar experiences?  Or is that a question that's well, out of the question?  :\

EDIT:  I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone who is into that lifestyle.  Live and let live, to each their own, blah blah blah, etc.

Wrong forum IMHO and not interesting. Fixing sewer traps is a better thread starter.

Regardless of what RogerS finds "interesting", this is one of the most unusual stories I've seen here, and worthy of comment.
I'm not sure what types of places you're staying, but I think you'll find most RV'ers down to earth, family friendly and certainly not into the festivities your describe.
Is there anything unusual in the RV parks where this has occurred? Adults only perhaps?

Weekends tend to be party time for the younger set at some campgrounds, with the lower cost public parks often being favored. At our age though, my wife and I typically get invited to join in pot luck dinners and the like, with "Let's see where it goes" meaning which card game we end up playing afterwards until the late hours like, oh, 10pm maybe...  ;D

NY_Dutch said:
...until the late hours like, oh, 10pm maybe...  ;D

You do like to party...:) In response to the OP, I haven't been hit on in a RV Park...ever...after reading your interesting story I kinda feel rejected, lol. 

SeilerBird said:
I am jealous, no one ever hits on me in a campground. :eek:

Tom, look in the mirror.  ;D :D ;) :)

My wife and I have been camping for almost 35 years and never had any experiences like that.

There are several campgrounds here in Florida that are "clothing optional" and "swingers" campgrounds.  I know of several in the Orlando and South Florida areas.  Most of the campgrounds we have stayed at are not that way, but there are many people who like living alternative lifestyles, and will try to see how you will react to their invitation.  No harm, no foul.  If you don't ask, you don't know how someone will react, and maybe take you up on your invitation.  It doesn't hurt to ask!
Don't let it get to you.  I've been asked to join couples at bars, but never at a campground.  Craigslist and Backpage are full of these solicitations.

Bob,

I don't agree with RodgerS, either. This is an experience, while not common, of life on the road.

Having a suspicious eye and coming from some law enforcement background, I am not shocked that you had such an encounter. If you consider that the RV population is just a subset of the general population, and that such behavior is out there, you might not be surprised.

The anonymity of folks in a campground, i.e. you probably will not run into them again, lends itself to being approached by people who wish to come and go. While we have found RV parks typically extremely safe places, campgrounds tend to be a little more casual situation with a lot more interaction, and you still need to be aware of things happening.

As Dutch alludes to, weekends are for the party people, alcohol or otherwise, and what better place to cruise than a campground?

But yes, it was a very different experience than most of us have encountered happening once, but twice? Wow!

Kim

BinaryBob said:
Is there anything unusual in the RV parks where this has occurred? Adults only perhaps?
Not at all.  Both very common, public.  One was IL Dept. of Natural Resources and we didn't have a reservation, just showed up and got what we got.  The other is an Army Corps of Engineers site and we had reservations through ReserveAmerica.com.

NY_Dutch said:
Weekends tend to be party time for the younger set at some campgrounds, with the lower cost public parks often being favored. At our age though, my wife and I typically get invited to join in pot luck dinners and the like, with "Let's see where it goes" meaning which card game we end up playing afterwards until the late hours like, oh, 10pm maybe...  ;D
Pot luck and card games sound great, and we'll even stay up until 11pm!  :)

rebelsun said:
There are several campgrounds here in Florida that are "clothing optional" and "swingers" campgrounds.  I know of several in the Orlando and South Florida areas.  Most of the campgrounds we have stayed at are not that way, but there are many people who like living alternative lifestyles, and will try to see how you will react to their invitation.  No harm, no foul.  If you don't ask, you don't know how someone will react, and maybe take you up on your invitation.  It doesn't hurt to ask!
Don't let it get to you.  I've been asked to join couples at bars, but never at a campground.  Craigslist and Backpage are full of these solicitations.
We've been approached at bars and even at a wedding reception once, but we never dreamed that this would be "common" at campgrounds.  But I guess it makes some sense as Kim pointed out, since there's anonymity...kind of a "what happens at the campsite stays at the campsite" mentality for some.  I suppose they figure it doesn't hurt to ask and since there's anonymity the rejection factor is minimal.  And as I mentioned, these people were polite, and mostly if not completely sober.

It didn't "get to us" as much as it simply made us wonder if this is something we should come to expect.  From the other posts here it sounds like it's very, very rare and will probably never happen again.

Wow, no one has ever even come over to say hello to us, much less to a pot luck or a pajama party.  I'm feeling rejected too.  I guess I'd better not read this to dh, he's still feeling inferior from having the smallest trailer every where we went on our last trip.

Oh wait, you've been approached before?  You're either better looking thna you admit or we are uglier than I thought. 

First off get rid of the bumper sticker that says you swing. LOL! It's not just a dance... some might read it wrong.

OK, if we're telling tales I've got a WHOPPER for you, well two whoppers...  ::)

There is a club of RVers that have a pretty loose membership and entertainment opportunities of more than just casual friendship.

My friends in their 70's had me in raucous laughter when they described a real nice couple in their 70's they met while RVing. The next few days they enjoyed dinner out, card games, sightseeing and so on with the other couple. So the wife makes dinner for the 4 of them one evening and that's when their new friends invited them to come swing with them and explained to them about their loose group of camping swingers. My friends claim they didn't join in.

I've met all sorts of interesting folks in RV parks and campgrounds. Most are just living life, enjoying a vacation, some are living the dream, traveling extensively.

Now here's my "approached" story...

A very nice couple became friendly with me, inviting me over for dinner and drinks. We had a leisurely dinner inside their rig, just chit chatting and laughing. We had a lot in common with our mutual previous Caribbean sailing lifestyles. It was a fun chatty evening.  After polishing off dessert, the husband made a big showing that he would clean up and wash dishes encouraging us to go outside and relax. The full moon was brilliant, providing enough light, and the wife pointed to the picnic bench which faced the moon, suggesting we sit there with our cocktails. It seemed reasonable, sit at the table and stare at the moon.

That's when she stuck her tongue in my ear while *ahem* how to say politely... um... checking to see if I wore a bra... :p

Well, I was dumbfounded! I nearly fell off the picnic bench!

What do I say to THAT?

Finally what seemed like forever, I managed to burst out laughing, told her it was time for me to go home and thanks for the wonderful dinner!

I speed walked pretty rapidly back to my RV. Once inside the door, I couldn't stop laughing and giggling!

It was just such an absurd situation. I still scratch my head and wonder about that.
What if I see them again somewhere, do I act like I remember them or just put a blank stare on my face? I have no idea. I've never run into them since.

I still find the entire situation comical.  ;D

DearMissMermaid said:
First off get rid of the bumper sticker that says you swing. LOL! It's not just a dance... some might read it wrong.
LOL!  That explains everything!  And here I was starting to think it was the red light in the window!  ;) :p

That's when she stuck her tongue in my ear while *ahem* how to say politely... um... checking to see if I wore a bra... :p
OK, you win!

Quite a tale, and very interesting indeed!  Can't say we've ever had an experience like that, and we've spent several months a year camping in all sorts of places for the past 18+ years.  We've met plenty of friendly folks, though, and many of our closets friendships were made in campgrounds.

Back
Top Bottom