Winterizing a 1999 Itasca

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dh730

I attempted to winterize the other day.  The antifreeze ran through the cold line when I turned the by-pass line but not the hot water line.

Does the hot water line require antifreeze?

If so, how is that accomplished?

Thank you.

Do you have an air compressor ? I've always just hooked up my compressor (they sell air hose connector to fresh water inlets), have set my air pressure 30#, drain my hot water tank, then blow out the water lines to sinks , showers and toilet. Blow them out until only a very fine water mist shows. Then I pour in rv antifreeze into all sink traps. Good to go  8)

dh730 said:
I attempted to winterize the other day.  The antifreeze ran through the cold line when I turned the by-pass line but not the hot water line.

Does the hot water line require antifreeze?

If so, how is that accomplished?

Thank you.

You should start with the low point drains under the trailer to drain those line first then, close them when the stop dripping.

Exactly what you need to do with those winterizing valves on the hot water tank will depend on whether you have a 1, 2, or 3 valve system but... Normally one of those valves will connect the hot line to the cold line and thus antifreeze introduced into the cold line should flow automagically into the hot side. The valve system and/or one way valves in the tank inlet/outlet prevent antifreeze entering the hot water tank saving a lot of RV antifreeze. You may have to open the hot side of the farthest away tap to let any trapped air escape and antifreeze to flow.

Don't forget to drain any water filter canisters and the ice maker water valve and tubing behind the fridge if you have one equipped.

Back
Top Bottom