EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: How do I remove personal info off PC before returning  (Read 4311 times)

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: How do I remove personal info off PC before returning
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 04:27:31 PM »
For sure any computer user needs to install an anti-virus and needs to keep it updated automaticly.
Some users don't use antivirus or malware are just computer ignorant users, the reason being that even if they go to "safe sites" how in the world do they know that it is a safe site ? They must be genious to know that !
The same goes for e-mail received from your close friends... they can be infected e-mails that even your close friends don't even know that they are infected...
I have never used anti-virus and I never will. It is totally unnecessary if you know what you are doing. And anti-virus is not 100% effective. It is still possible to get a virus even with the latest and greatest installed. If gives you false security. After 35 years of being virus free I am not worried in the least. I am certainly not saying anyone else should follow my lead. Most people either don't know enough about computer security or don't have the reserve to do it my way. I am just saying it is wrong to say everyone should use anti-virus and that those who don't are ignorant.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »
I had my UPS guy run over the drive itself with his truck.

Does that help?!
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »
I think that will work.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 07:13:47 AM »
I have never used anti-virus and I never will. It is totally unnecessary if you know what you are doing. And anti-virus is not 100% effective. It is still possible to get a virus even with the latest and greatest installed. If gives you false security. After 35 years of being virus free I am not worried in the least. I am certainly not saying anyone else should follow my lead. Most people either don't know enough about computer security or don't have the reserve to do it my way. I am just saying it is wrong to say everyone should use anti-virus and that those who don't are ignorant.

IMO a anti-virus is required to protect your computer, basicaly, just like a key to lock your house or your car, it won't protect you 100% but at least the offender won't have a free pass to your personnal stuff. Not using them, IMO is pure ignorance.

Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 12:50:09 PM »
A lot depends on how paranoid you are. I have purchased several used PC's with tons of personal stuff on them.

But: Level one:

There are several "Drive wipe" programs out there,, Let me see if I can find one: O,k that did not work.

Some of these programs will do multiple writes of 1s and 0s and 101010s  and 010101s to the drive, The more you overwrite every track and sector the deeper they need to :"Tunnel" to find it, Eventually it gets to the point where only government funded hackers have the needed hardware.

Then there is the military method (Which is a bit much in my book but.. Well, for military grade information, perhaps not)
Drills, Hammers, Magnets, Flame throwers, Hand gernades, Run over the hard drive with a tank. Drop it in a vat of acid, (All of the above)

As you can see, that would not leave you anything to retrun so that's a bit much.. But it is the Army way.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network