St George, UT wheeling - ouch and ouch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
From my thread on a Jeep forum:

We pre-ran Bryce's Loop yesterday, the trail leader has never wheeled here before so I led the group (eight of us) from the RV park in town to the trailhead - or at least in the vicinity of the trailhead. The trail is very poorly marked and recent rains have washed away most tire tracks. It literally took an hour to establish exactly where the loop started since we wanted to run it clockwise.

After finally getting on the trail, following it became a trail blazing exercise. The trails around here are very lightly used compared to Moab where you just follow the two black tire marks. I felt sorry for the trail leader since everybody was getting very frustrated which I understand. (Since it was a pre-run, everybody in the club knows that stuff can happen.)

So - the bad news...

I got on a very bad line doing a little climb on a ledge (which I just spotted the trail leader up) but I wanted to move more to the left which seemed like a good idea at the time. I wound up in such a precarious situation I was going to flop if I went forward or flop if I tried to back out and re-position. I have a real good seat-of-the-pants feel for when gravity takes control of your rig so I had the good sense to stop and ask for a winch or a strap out.

My winch controller sits in the driver's door pocket so I handed it to the recovery team but they couldn't figure out how to control my MileMarker hydraulic winch , so they got a strap on me and I was able to re-position a little bit but not enough to climb out.

The guy in front turned his rig around, got a line on me and between the winch and me, I safely climbed out. We unfortunately wasted about 30-40 minutes with my screw-up.

Then some more bad news...

I was about half-way up this fun little escalator (I climbed it a couple of years ago) and lost drive to my rear axle - both rear wheels were not moving. With the sound of a very distinctive PING, Rubi turned into a front wheel drive vehicle . Fortunately, I safely backed down the escalator and tried to figure out what happened.

And then some more bad news...

My buddy Dave in his 4-door Hemi on 40" tires had an odd issue with his front wheel grabbing and making a clicking noise and despite a few of us looking inside the driver's front tire, we couldn't see anything obviously wrong. After we were all done with the escalator, the crap hit the fan on David's 4-door. I walked back to his Jeep to see his left front tire at about a 30* angle to the body.

What happened was his brake caliper worked its way loose ultimately falling and catching between the rotor and the wheel itself and with the tremendous forces generated, broke the wheel itself. His wheels are Mil-spec Hutchinson which are about as tough available.

Dave didn't have a spare and his bolt pattern was different from a JK or TJ so he called the 4x4 shop in town and they picked up his spare wheel, seated a tire on it and took it to him on the trail. A couple of hours later, Dave made it back to the RV park. (Ironically Bryce of Bryce's Loop was the rescue driver!)

So here we sit - I was supposed to pre-run my Plan B trail today and had a lot of people that wanted to run it with me. Dixie 4x4 has my Rubi and will look it over this morning to see what the problem is. I have this bad feeling that we have a transfer case problem or something went really, really wrong in the ARB locker or diff. It couldn't be the driveshaft by the way (wish it was - I have a spare.)

^^ Update ^^ I managed to spin the axle tubes in the diff pumpkin and for a bonus the driver's side tube actually pulled out of the pumpkin.  ::)  :p  ::).  Dixie Offroad is trying to round up enough parts to replace the axle assembly with a Dana 60 but I seriously doubt if they can pull it off so I can pre-run my trail on Saturday or Sunday (if necessary.)  We have to leave here Tuesday because we have to get home for doctor stuff.

Attachments

• PoserShot.jpg
    PoserShot.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 90
  • BryceLoop.jpg
    BryceLoop.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 77
  • ObstacleBrycesLoop1.jpg
    ObstacleBrycesLoop1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 79
  • ObstacleBrycesLoop2.jpg
    ObstacleBrycesLoop2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 72
  • ObstacleBrycesLoop3.jpg
    ObstacleBrycesLoop3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 68
  • ObstacleBrycesLoop4.jpg
    ObstacleBrycesLoop4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 70
  • ObstacleBrycesLoop5.jpg
    ObstacleBrycesLoop5.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 70
  • ObstacleBrycesLoop6.jpg
    ObstacleBrycesLoop6.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DavidWheel1.jpg
    DavidWheel1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DavidWheel2.jpg
    DavidWheel2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 80
4 wheeling is making sailboat racing look like a cheap hobby :)

Sounds like it is trying to compete with flying. ::)

Nah, nothing competes with airplane maintenance.

Hope you get your rear axle issue resolved John.  Didn't you have to have a new rear axle installed last year in Moab or am I thinking of someone else?

Mike,

That was indeed a tough day, just glad we did not break any more Jeeps. I did an easy run today just to even things out, will see what tomorrow brings.

zmotorsports said:
Hope you get your rear axle issue resolved John.  Didn't you have to have a new rear axle installed last year in Moab or am I thinking of someone else?

Mike,
Mike - yes, the rear axle assembly is a G2 installed by Moab Outpost a couple of years ago.  The latest update is Dixie can't round up a Dana 60 (no surprise there) but they are trying to fix mine so we'll see how that goes.  At any rate, I'll install a Dana 60 next year.

Hope you get it fixed and get back out on the trails.

Just looked at the weather and it is supposed to be nice down there next week so we are looking forward to wheeling in the St. George area.  I have lived in Utah my entire life and although driven past St. George many, many, many times, I have never stopped and wheeled there.  Closest we have been for any durantion is Zion NP.

Mike.

Its a beautiful area with some great views. See you Sunday Mike.

I like St. George, it has a good small town feel that has grown to be a big town. They have a ton of restaurants to choose from. I wheeled in the Sand Hollow Area one time...broke my Jeep on the first obstacle. I am hoping for a better outcome this week.

We are in Site 53, an end cap next to the check in office...The sites are as tight as any I ever experienced.

We are heading to the Bar 10 Ranch today (North Rim of the Grand Canyon) to spend the night in a Conestoga Wagon, and see some Grand Canyon overlooks. It is 80 miles from St. George in the middle of nowhere.

The weather in St. George is forecast to be pleasant this week...:)

I hope you get back on the road soon John with out too much pain ($$$).  As long as no one was hurt, stuff and always be fixed.  You know how it goes, "Jeepin ain't easy, but it's fun!" 

Picked Rubi up about 1600 hours local time yesterday, Milt of Dixie Offroad is a miracle worker - I am extremely impressed with his skills, work ethic and creativity.  He spent about a day and a half putting us back together (at $100 an hour  :D) - too bad I couldn't have paid the labor bill for a D60 install instead of repairing my D44.

We're planning on doing our pre-run for Plan B today and running it formally for the rally Monday and that's the only wheeling that rear axle is going to see.  I'll be parting it out and hopefully get some investment recoupment, the ARB locker should be worth $500 I think.  Not sure if anybody would want the entire axle assembly.

Oscar Mike - very nice to meet you and Susan yesterday!

The attached picture is of my buddies Glen and Mike that flopped in the Bathtub (John's Trail) - met them while I was picking up our repaired Rubi.  A little hammering here and there and some clear packing tape and it'll be ready for the trails  :D.

Edit: Glen did a pitchpole (went over backwards) on a steep obstacle near The Bathtub and not in it.

Attachments

• GlenMikeOops.jpg
    GlenMikeOops.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom