rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: How to stop telemarketers from calling you  (Read 8745 times)

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
Re: How to stop telemarketers from calling you
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »
I hope it works as well for as it does for my wife and I, Tom. We do still get occasional calls, usually from telemarketers that work from home, but overall I'd say the calls have been reduced by at least 90%.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 06:01:29 PM »
My problem is that this phone number I have was recently used by someone else and I keep getting their calls, including one from a high school that has a problem with some kid ditching class. Hopefully I will be able to remove some of those callers.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 06:10:34 PM »
I had that problem for a couple of years after getting a new number, Tom. Apparently the previous holder of the number owed a lot of people and places money, so I got lots of irate or demanding calls for awhile. It slowly tapered off though, and now I only get a call for her once every few months. I did block some of the more persistent callers though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »
Latest scam is one I almost fell for. 904 area code called me and did not leave a message, since I have been waiting on a call about medical supplies I called the number back. The answer was "Thank you for your call, if you wish to be remove from our call list please press one" I almost fell for the press one BS and I'm sure it would have been a scam.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Rancher Will

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2015, 05:36:48 PM »
My wife tells me that I have too much time on my hands. But, I like to have fun with telemarketers.

I enjoy actual conversations with friends, so when I hve time and a telemarketer is on the phone, I deliberately start a conversation, usually asking where the caller is calling from. This opens a world of opportunities for me to keep the caller on the phone without ever having to listen to a sales pitch.

After quite a while the caller will try to  hang up without even telling me why they called but I have learned how to just keep on with our conversation, until  finally the caller is so frustrated that they hang up on me.

I have actually kept a telemarketer on the phone for over 10 minutes while they tried to end the call numerous times. It is fun and sometimes I even learn something about the caller.

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
About 35 years ago I had one timeshare sales person call and to make it short she lived about 2 miles from me (a 21yr old brunette from Mass.) and we had an outstanding relationship for almost a year..... I did not buy a timeshare
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Back2PA

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »
I can HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1PPWDO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It's called the Sentry Call Blocker. A bit tedious to setup as you pre-program all of your friends etc into the machine. Once that's done, a "non-listed" caller is met with a pretty aggressive outgoing message (not customizable unfortunately). They are advised that if they ARE authorized to call your number to press a certain keystroke. This adds them to the approved list. They then hang up and call back and their call is put through. I know your first thought is that every telemarketer would do this but none, and I mean none, do - they just hang up. We then set our phone to not ring on the first ring (many phones have this setting. This gives the unit time to get the caller ID and if the call is blocked then the phone never rings. Every so often I check the call log to see if any "strangers" have added themselves to the approved list and move them to the reject list.

We've had this unit ($60) for 7 months. We used to get 2-5 telemarketing calls per day at all hours. Exactly zero telemarketing calls have gotten through since the day I installed it. Best sixty bucks I ever spent!
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
2011 F-250 Super Duty LB 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »
I can HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1PPWDO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It's called the Sentry Call Blocker. A bit tedious to setup as you pre-program all of your friends etc into the machine. Once that's done, a "non-listed" caller is met with a pretty aggressive outgoing message (not customizable unfortunately). They are advised that if they ARE authorized to call your number to press a certain keystroke. This adds them to the approved list. They then hang up and call back and their call is put through. I know your first thought is that every telemarketer would do this but none, and I mean none, do - they just hang up. We then set our phone to not ring on the first ring (many phones have this setting. This gives the unit time to get the caller ID and if the call is blocked then the phone never rings. Every so often I check the call log to see if any "strangers" have added themselves to the approved list and move them to the reject list.

We've had this unit ($60) for 7 months. We used to get 2-5 telemarketing calls per day at all hours. Exactly zero telemarketing calls have gotten through since the day I installed it. Best sixty bucks I ever spent!
Your link is dead.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Back2PA

• Global Moderator
  • ---
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
2011 F-250 Super Duty LB 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »
Both links work fine for me.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
Both work for me too.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »
I just set the phone down and go back to what I was doing.  Eventually the caller figures out he is talking to dead air and hangs up.  After a while I go back and check the phone and see if any messages from real people came in.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 00 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
    • WorKamping in Santa Fe and Tucson
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »
I like the ones that tell me the FBI says there is a home break in every 20 seconds, and they want to sell you a suystem, by asking if you have one.  Hmmm  strangr starts by telling you homes are being broken in to, and asks if you have an alarm.  I tell them I live in government housing.  They then hang up.
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Retired from Old Faithful, On The Road for a bit
2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara.
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI