banks braking system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

normeller

I have a 2003 7.3 L ford diesel that I use to pull 5th wheel. I love the truck but feel that for safety purpose an exhaust system would be beneficial. I have heard that some companies do not recommend exhaust brake for ford diesel, something about valve damage. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with Banks, Pac or anyother system over a long period of time. Please advise.

I have heard that some companies do not recommend exhaust brake for ford diesel, something about valve damage.

I haven't heard that, and we hear a lot of stories around here. What does Ford say? If they don't care (i.e. void the warranty), why worry?  Back in 99 when we drove an F250 diesel, Ford had stated a maximum allowable back pressure (I've forgotten what it was) and the brake manufacturers like B-D and PAC were adhering to it and everybody was happy.  I had a very low pressure brake installed and it was sufficient for my needs, but the PAC and B-D units gave more braking.

Banks is a relative newcomer to the exhaust brake game, but they have always produced fine products. I doubt if you could go wrong with them, PAC or BD.  By the way, here's a link to BD Ford E-brake

Shouldn't have any problem as your engine is the 7.3L. I know that is stongly NOT recommended for the 6.0L.

Larry

Larry,

Just who is it that  "strongly not recommended" e-brakes on the Ford 6.0L?  And why?  I'm not arguing with you, but would like to have some supporting info before passing  such a strong and negative statement on to our readers.

Note that BD is making a brake for the 6.0L, per the link above.

I believe that it was on the Banks web site a few months back that I read about it. Don't recall the exact words, but it was along the lines that the 6.0L doesn't have a wastegate and uses the EGR valve to dump excess pressure. The EGR actually dumps the boost into the exhaust, and with the exhaust effective blocked, the excess pressure can't be evacuated, with the possibly of building up too much head pressure. Things may have changed with the '07's, but up thru '06, there was a problem when boost go too high, the heads would actually lift and stretch the head bolts because of they were either long enough or strong enough to take the extra pressure.

Seems to me I also read something along the same lines in either the Powerstroke or DieselStop websites.

In all actuality, between the way the transmission works in Tow/Haul along with the was the EGR is programmed, the 6.0L effectively have built-in engine braking ... when in Tow/Haul, foot off the throttle, tap the brakes, the truck does downshift, and does do a good job of slowing me down even with my fiver in tow.

Larry

Sounds like any exhaust brake designed for the Ford 6.0 would have to have its own waste gate built in, then. Not impossible, but a complication in the engineering.    I think I recall another model that used that approach, but its been awhile and I don't recall which engine and which e-brake it was. Probably a non-turbo engine that had no handy turbo waste gate to utilize.

I will add my own 2 cents here. First I own a GMC not a Ford so my comments apply to GMC. I have a Banks exhaust system, oversized pipe, low back pressure muffler and exhaust brake installed on my truck. This past summer we went out in the Southwest, took on the Rockies via I-70 and a lot of other grades at 6% +, the exhaust brake worked as advertised, very little use of the service brakes. As far as I'm concerned GMC should at least offer that as an option. A friend had a new 1 ton Dodge stick and the brake was an option.

Anyway some sort of additional brake when towing in high grades is a must not an option, for diesels. The tow/haul mode does not provide sufficient braking. Remember these are my opinions not gospel.

Nelson

Back
Top Bottom