Winter use of Adventurer Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am having renovations done on my house with the MH in the driveway for an escape from racket and odors (paint, stain, polyurethane, etc.). Occasionally I will be spending the night in it, but probably not on very cold nights. However, I do not want to winterize and de-winterize the MH during the winter. When the home renovations are done, then I will winterize it.

The holding tanks are in the "basement" but the basement floor is not insulated, and it is likely to be a little bit leaky around the doors in places. The question is whether the holding tanks might freeze if I am heating the inside to ~55 degrees F with an electric space heater. Does anyone have experience with this? I am in SW Virginia: Lows are likely to get in the teens or lower several times during winter; a foot of snow over a day or two happens about every other winter, and lesser snowstorms can be common.

I am guessing that if the inside is kept in the mid 60s, or if the MH's propane furnace is used, the basement will stay above freezing, even if it is 0 degrees F outside, but I will only keep it that warm when I'm inside the MH. Anyone know if this is true by experience?

What do you use to insulate windows, especially the front cab area, that is easy to take in and out?
Should I place a heavy curtain between the cab area and living area? Have any of you done this? How?

I would worry if it gets down to 20 or less.  In most coaches your waste tank dump valves and city inlet are rather exposed and might freeze up even though the basement in general stats above 32. Possibly also the water heater tank, which is usually just under the skin. If you turned on the water heater for an hour in the evening, though, the tank water would stay warm enough throughout the night.

I am guessing that if the inside is kept in the mid 60s, or if the MH's propane furnace is used, the basement will stay above freezing, even if it is 0 degrees F outside, but I will only keep it that warm when I'm inside the MH. Anyone know if this is true by experience?
No sir - that is an incorrect assumption for the plumbing bay.

I'll be more conservative than Gary's recommendation.  When our temperatures are forecast to be freezing for more than a few hours, I put a small electric heater in our plumbing bay - I found a 100 watt trouble light will not produce enough heat to keep the bay above freezing when we get into the 20s. Pick up a water heater insulation blanket (or similar) and line your plumbing bay which will greatly help keeping the bay above freezing (but you still will need an auxiliary heat source.)

We built a new house last winter. We live in NE North Dakota. We started in October and finished in April. We lived in our 2003 Adventurer with temps getting down to -20F. We stayed at about 70F in the living quarters. We got an external 125 gallon propane tank and put little 200 watt electric heaters in the waste valve bay and the water tank compartment. We also ran a IR 1500 watt heater in the bedroom.

The heaters we used were Lasko 200 watt Personal Heater

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyHeat-Personal-Ceramic/dp/B003XDTWN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445700036&sr=8-1&keywords=lasko+personal+heater

I wouldn't worry too much where you are. Keep the water heater on and a heater in the waste compartment and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom