Towing Behind Tent Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakebank

I have a 1988 Coleman Tent Trailer.  It has a 12' box and weighs in at about 2500#.  I want to purchase a waverunner with a single place trailer.  Is it possible to pull it behind my tent trailer?  The waverunner and trailer probably wouldnt weigh more than 600 or 700 pounds at the most.  The tent trailer is only a single axle with no brakes. I'm not worried about pulling power I have a Dodge Dakota with a V8, it has more than enough power for my cousins 5000 pound boat so that isn't much of a concern.  I will have to have a trailer ball and wiring installed on the back of the tent trailer to do this, I can do all that, but is it possible to do this safely?  Thanks

I thought I had heard that in some states (California included) it was illegal to tow with two bumper pull ball hitches.  A 5th wheel and a ball combination is legal (Now requires Class A license) but not two ball hitches.

Hang in...'cause I'm sure someone else around here knows the facts for sure.

First check with the DMV in your home state and see if (a) it is permitted (not in most states) and if it is, then (b)  your driving license is sufficient for multiple towing.

Frankly, I think it is unsafe no matter what your state allows. It probably works well enough going straight down the road, but if you ever have to panic stop or maneuver quickly to avoid an accident, you and the folks you share the road with are likely to be in a heap of hurt.

The states that I have seen  that do permit double tows do so only if the first trailer in line is a 5th wheel.  A tent trailer would be hopless legally and in terms of towing safety.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom