Diesel Fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As mentioned earlier, we are pondering an auxiliary fuel tank for our western US trip: Houston - Yellowstone - Utah - Grand Canyon - Houston.

Normally the rig gets 350 - 400 miles per tank.

What is the wisdom of getting an auxiliary tank for this trip ? Are the stations frequent enough we shouldn't worry? Will we be forced to pay high prices on occasion due to running out of fuel in some small town? Will we have to plan our next fuel stop during the current fuel stop?

The TV normally rides with an empty bed, and very little crap inside the cab aside from people, pets, leashes and umbrellas so weight isn't an issue.

Or am I over thinking this?

FWIW, we've driven those roads several times over the years and there are no shortage of gas stations. As long as you don't push it and wait until the Low Fuel light comes on, you shouldn't have any problems.

Kev

If you are good for those miles, consider refueling about 1/2 full mark and you should have no problems on those roads.  Do fill well before entering the park tourist areas as fuel will be higher there.  I used to live 90 miles from Yellowstone and prices went up every summer for the summer but even so they were a lot less than the prices closer to the park.

And even if you occasionally paid an extra 10-20 cents/gallon, that's still cheaper than the cost of an aux tank.

Even in Alaska & western Canada there is no problem getting fuel, gas or diesel, every 300 or so miles. Just don't wait til the gauge says "E" to start looking.

Thanks !!!

I feel much better. Someone suggested carrying one 5 gallon container for an added 75 miles. May do that. Maybe not.

Going across Texas off the interstate was quite an experience finding stations I could get into. At one point I was getting a little nervous when the guage was dropping below a quarter but we did find a station. When I was trucking I had a 75 aux tank in my truck that provided a great comfort level knowing I could do a round trip without stopping and could refuel at the best prices. At that time diesel was over $4.00 a gal but I had a local station that was always .10 to .15 cents cheaper. Getting 400+ miles on a tank I wouldn't spend the extra dollars.

Houston Remodeler said:
As mentioned earlier, we are pondering an auxiliary fuel tank for our western US trip: Houston - Yellowstone - Utah - Grand Canyon - Houston.

Normally the rig gets 350 - 400 miles per tank.

What is the wisdom of getting an auxiliary tank for this trip ? Are the stations frequent enough we shouldn't worry? Will we be forced to pay high prices on occasion due to running out of fuel in some small town? Will we have to plan our next fuel stop during the current fuel stop?

The TV normally rides with an empty bed, and very little crap inside the cab aside from people, pets, leashes and umbrellas so weight isn't an issue.

Or am I over thinking this?

Be sure to find a few other RV's to circle with at night in case of Indian attack. And follow the ruts. If you go tracking off on the trail you might get lost and we'll never find you. And beware the edge of the world when going "out west" to Utah. It's a vast wilderness out here.........

This is maybe the third post in the past few months of people being concerned about finding civilization in the "west". Yes fuel, gasoline and diesel is available just about anywhere. You don't have to stay on the interstate to find diesel. And Utah is a long days drive east for many of us. Cleveland Ohio is about the same distance from the east coast as Salt Lake City Utah is from the west coast.

Ken

The longest stretch of highway without fuel may be on I-70 in the middle of southern Utah.  It's 106 miles from Green River in the east to Salina in the west.  We always recommend filling up at one end because you traverse the San Rafael Swell which is a very rugged - but geologically fascinating - part of southern Utah.  As others said, plan to fill your tank about the halfway mark.  You don't need to carry extra fuel because the west is not the end of the world.  We're really quite civilized out here!  ::)  Yes, you will pay more for fuel out here.  That's just the way it is.  California usually is the most expensive and South Carolina usually is the least expensive with all the rest being somewhere in between.

ArdraF

We don't fulltime and usually just take our time going anywhere.  After driving 2-4 hours I find that getting out and stretching the legs is necessary.  I usually do this when I fill fuel and in 2-4 hrs can travel about 200 to 250 miles and need about 15  to 20 gals on a 24 gal tank.  I really start looking for fuel when I'm between 1/4 to 1/2 tank, and at that rate need about 15 gal so even if fuel is 10 cents higher it doesn't amount to more than $1.50 per tank. 

I caution you to watch out in Indiana as in larger truck stops, you have to fuel at pumps with cars and there isn't always a lot of room.  This has to due with their tax structure and use of fleet charge cards for truckers.  I fill before Indiana and after I leave.

kjansen said:
We don't fulltime and usually just take our time going anywhere.  After driving 2-4 hours I find that getting out and stretching the legs is necessary.  I usually do this when I fill fuel and in 2-4 hrs can travel about 200 to 250 miles and need about 15  to 20 gals on a 24 gal tank.  I really start looking for fuel when I'm between 1/4 to 1/2 tank, and at that rate need about 15 gal so even if fuel is 10 cents higher it doesn't amount to more than $1.50 per tank. 

I caution you to watch out in Indiana as in larger truck stops, you have to fuel at pumps with cars and there isn't always a lot of room.  This has to due with their tax structure and use of fleet charge cards for truckers.  I fill before Indiana and after I leave.
2nd that also the posted prices on the big signs are for exempt trucks that have a fuel tax sticker.

Gary31 said:
I agree I have used the truck pumps when I normally schedule my refueling, but when it get down and dirty you better have a plan "B" or be ready to call a wrecker.
I start looking at 1/2 tank. I don't need a plan "B".
The lowest I have ever gotten was about 1/8 tank but I was headed home and wanted to fill up at my favorite stop and save $.35 a gallon.
Bill

8Muddypaws said:
Install 'GasBuddy' on your smart phone if you have one.
Gas buddy is a great app. Heres another helpful one called AROUND ME ( free) not only can your find Fuel but others like banks, food,Hospital etc. I use when i'm not familiar with an area.

I have Gas Buddy but I have ben using Co Piolet for finding a lot of different things in the area. Yelp is good to for eating.
Ge no one has mentioned the easy one Google.
Every major gas retailer has their own app so if you only use Shell well you are in luck there's an app for that.
Bill

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, this is why I enjoy this forum.
I solved the diesel issue with my new truck it has a 40 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed so I have more than enough fuel to get on most of my journeys before refueling.

Gary31 said:
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, this is why I enjoy this forum.
I solved the diesel issue with my new truck it has a 40 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed so I have more than enough fuel to get on most of my journeys before refueling.
I would still be looking for fuel at 1/2 tank.
Bill

I'm with you on this one Bill. I plan my stops at about 1/2 tank or less if I'm going to be stopping for the night and can fuel then. I carry 108 gallons in the one tank.

Ken

I have tried several free phone/tablet apps to located truck stops with mixed results.  Then I decided to get "ALLSTAYS BIG TUCK STOPS" app for my phone/tablet and love it.  It gives the milepost number and info of what amenities available at the truck stop.  IE propane, food, dump station, def and etc. It pay at at 9.99 i think more than worth it.  The "ALLSTAYS CAMP AND RV" app is also nice. I can plan my stops and stop early if there is big gap in trucks stops.

Disclaimer - I don't have any connection to the app or author.

My theory is when you get to your campground you should have at least a half tank so that you can evacuate the area if so ordered, or the weather doesn't look good.

I know how you feel I start looking for a place to fuel at 1/2 tank unless I know I can make my stop ,then after unhooking the trailer go fuel. On long hauls I use gas buddy to locate place I can get in and out of easy. People do not give rv,s a break had to drive over a curb because car took more than his share of the approach. I have been looking for a used Transfer Flow Tank and tool box combo 40 gals have seen a lot of them all over the country but nothing close yet and Transfer Flow is real proud of their product new. A new 40 gal tank toolbox combo black cost $1600 and $250 to install. I have seen used ones for as little as $500. At least with the extra tank you can pick your fuel stops.

elliott-maine said:
My theory is when you get to your campground you should have at least a half tank so that you can evacuate the area if so ordered, or the weather doesn't look good.
To add to this. I arrived at a state park this  summer and when checking the power the power at the pedestal was bad. well called the rangers and they sent some one out to try to fix it. well it was 88 and humid so I was running the generator to have ac. If I had ben below 1/4 tank that wouldn't have been happening.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom