Motorhome swaying and rocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

94Warrior

My short class A does a lot of rocking back and forth. I see that Blue Ox makes a sway bar system that reads as if it is supposed to help that quite a lot. I am wondering if any of you have tried it, and if it actually helps much. THANKS

If the mh is a '94 Winnibago Warrior, maybee you'd need some work on the original suspension, without going to a "named" brand like Blue Ox ! How about some new shocks or springs to start with !

I assume you mean driving down the road.

Sway Bars control side to side rocking,, Like Fans at a rock concert swaying to We Are The World.

Track bars control wagging like the tail of a dog  only the whole body wags  But it is always upright.

Steering stablizers attempt to keep you on the straight and narrow, and trust me, though a Class A is only six inches wider than say.. A semi truck.. That's a BIG six inches.

Some Chassis makers put good sway bars on.. Some do not.. if yours did not then an upgrade will help.

I can see how weak springs could cause rocking and swaying. I can't really see how shocks would have much to do with it? That's not to say that shocks are not needed, maybe they are. I definitely plan to take a close look at the airbags too.

Yes, the mh is a 94 warrior. It's a Chevy P30 chassis. I didn't even know that it had air springs until I read the book.

Check the bushings on the sway bars, probably original and dry rotted. Readily available at autoparts stores and pretty cheap. Not at all hard to do with moderate skills. There are four on each bar, do inner and outer one side at a time. Use a scissor or bottle jack to raise and lower bar for reassembly.   
  Always start with the inexpensive repairs before costly repairs. Example, replace fuel filter before fuel pump.

Bill

I would check your shocks,suspension and steering for worn parts before doing any upgrades. I would also make sure your tire and airbag pressure are set correct.  Check your sway bar bushing. They should be tight against the bar. If there is gaps or the bushing looks like it is squished out from the bracket they will need to be replace. My P30 had a steering dampener on the right front corner from the rad support to the idler arm. If yours has one pull off one side and see if it is co lapsed or weak. I would do the same for the shocks.
Check your springs for crack and make sure your airbags hold pressure. Also check your steering for side to side play.

I should have mentioned this in my first post.

What do you have your tires inflated to? Over inflated tires will make your rig ricochet down the road following any pounded out ruts from heavy truck traffic along with slightly uneven pavement seams. Really! These ruts and seams may be imperceptible to your eyes as you drive down the road. Best to inflate the tires to recommend pressure indicated on the RV sticker or 5-10 psi over for margin of safety until you get your axle weights ( mine is near my left leg by the drivers seat ) Never inflate to the max PSI on the tire unless the rig weight requires it. To much air in the tires or P30 front air bags will give your rig very jittery, unstable, ride and handling characteristics

Bill

94Warrior said:
I can see how weak springs could cause rocking and swaying. I can't really see how shocks would have much to do with it? That's not to say that shocks are not needed, maybe they are. I definitely plan to take a close look at the airbags too.

Proper shocks will have a rebound and compression rate appropriate for the application. Meaning that it compresses when you hit a bump and rebounds slowly so you don't travel down the road bouncing. They have the same effect on swaying.

Back
Top Bottom