EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Registering Vehicle in SD  (Read 6938 times)

Jomo

• ---
Registering Vehicle in SD
« on: October 28, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »
We have decided to start fulltiming in about a year or so after we sell everything including the house.  I plan to keep working in MI until the house sells but my husband is already retired.  We found a coach to buy now and would like to register it in SD even though we are currently residents of MI.  The sales tax, registration and insurance are all lower in SD.  I need to maintain MI residency but was wondering about getting the SD address now and registering it there and actually changing our DL license in about a year or so.  I know this is technically not the thing to do but was wondering how many people do it and what the chances of getting caught really are.  Since my husband is already retired, he could change his DL to SD now if we had to.
Jo & Jim
2007 Gulfstream Friendship 41' DP
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
Full time since June 2016
Home Base- Traverse City MI

Pointwithinacircle

• ---
Re: Registering Vehicle in SD
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »
During a discussion with the owner of my local RV dealership last week, he said I could go online and register as a corporation in Maine for $380.  He said that way I pay no sales tax on my RV and that the license fee is only $30 a year.  I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I am curious if this is true.

Tin man

• ---
  • 07 36G Journey SE Tow 2010 Escape Hybrid B OX AF1
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »
Jomo;

I'm not an expert, but we just moved from NY to PA.  You cannot have two DL, what address will you give the DMV in SD? I am sure they will want a address.  Same with insurance. We sold our home in Oct 2014, and stilled used our NY address till we had a home in PA. July 2015.  DMV in PA would not issue a license with out a address and mail to that address.  It all falls down to homeland security. 

The states are always looking for ways to recoup lost money. Examples would be non payment of taxes.  A dealer will tell you anything to sell a RV, car, or boat.  Talk to a CPA and ask what happens when the IRS, or State comes and inquires about your tax shelter.

Tax shelter wonderful, peace of mind priceless.
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

VallAndMo

• ---
  • Vall and Mo, a married couple getting ready for FT
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 02:35:10 AM »
Hi,
During a discussion with the owner of my local RV dealership last week, he said I could go online and register as a corporation in Maine for $380.  He said that way I pay no sales tax on my RV and that the license fee is only $30 a year.  I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I am curious if this is true.

A little googling seems to indicate it's not: http://www.maine.gov/revenue/salesuse/salestax/salestax.html

Relevant part:
Sales Tax. The sales tax rates in effect through December 31, 2015 are: 5.5% (general rate), 8% (lodging, meals and liquor), and 10% (short-term automobile rentals). The tax rate on lodging will increase from 8% to 9% on January 1, 2016.

I'm not an expert, but [...] The states are always looking for ways to recoup lost money. Examples would be non payment of taxes.  A dealer will tell you anything to sell a RV, car, or boat.  Talk to a CPA and ask what happens when the IRS, or State comes and inquires about your tax shelter.

Tax shelter wonderful, peace of mind priceless.

I'm not an expert either, but what Tin Man says makes perfect sense to me.

Cheers,
--
   Vall.

Wi1dBill

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:58:45 AM »
Going back to the original question.. In order to register a vehicle in SD you must have your mailing address there and become a citizen of that state.This will include changing your driver's license to that state.  It cannot be a post office box #, it has to be a physical address. Our friends at the IRS requires this.
There are companies that will rent you a physical address where you can have your mail sent to and they will forward it to where ever you are.    The reason to move you address to SD if you full time is that there is no state income tax.  There are several, SD, Texas and Florida are the most popular.

As far as getting an LLC in a different state to avoid paying your state's sales tax.  i know several people who have done it.  7% or more on these rigs is a lot of money. The way it's done , as explained to me. a lawyer in Wy. sets up a LLC(Limited Liability Company) with you as sole member.  The RV is purchased by the LLC in WY.  where there is no or little tax to title it.  When you bring it back to your state you need to move the LLC's address to your state or have the title put into your name so you can license it. When you fill in the spot for the cost of the unit you write "NO CONSIDERATION".  Thus no sales tax is charged by your state.     

Would your state would come back after you later is the question. Having been in business and being constantly checked on people/companies/farmers who claim sales tax exemption, they do check and they do question the purchaser and the state will go to court to collect the tax. Check with an attorney in your state and see.

Tax avoidance is your civic duty...  Tax evasion is illegal...   big difference!

Wi1dWi11

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »
You won't need an LLC if your husband can establish himself in SD, e.g. obtain a legal address, get driving license, etc. There are SD law firms that will help him get set up, and he can then buy the RV and title it there, paying SD fees and taxes.  If you want the coach in both your names, it would be easiest if also got an SD driving license, but I don't think it is required by SD. Using an LLC might be a way to get around that - the SD attorney could advise on that aspect. What they cannot advise about is your MI tax situation.

Your potential issue is bringing the coach back to MI. If it's in the state 30 days, they are going to want it registered there, and since you would still be a MI resident, they have you over a barrel for the taxes as well. Can you leave the coach outside the state, except for brief periods? That might be sufficient. You probably need to consult a MI attorney or CPA on this, since the situation is not clear cut.

You said you need to maintain MI residency, but I'm not sure if you are using "residency" in a legal sense or just saying you need to physically reside in MI for a while longer. There are subtle differences.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:49:57 AM »
It took us 2 days to change our drivers license, motorhome, and  toad registration from PA to SD. We went to "MyHomeAddress.com" in Emery, SD.  They provided all the forms, correctly filled out and directed us to the proper state agency offices to file the paper work. They provide us with a physical mailing address in Emery, SD. We have now been Emery residents for three years and have only been there 2 days in the entire time.

The process of becoming a SD resident was painless, surprising inexpensive, and easy. However, your physical presence is required to do the job.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:56:09 AM by Chet18013 »
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

Tin man

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
Just wondering, does the state of SD require your vehicle to be inspected?. If so you will have to visit the state for that. If not your golden.
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »
Regarding registering in a state other than the state where your primary residense is:

Can you do it: Yes.. Done all the time.
Should you do it?  Well. now that is a very good quesiton..  Let me put it this way.

There is/was a song (Skip A Rope) one of the lines "Cheating on your taxes don';t it feel cool / What's that you said about the Golden Rule"

Well, it may feel cool to cheat the tax man... but if the Tax man figures out you cheated him.. Well. it is going to get very very hot.. As in warrants and fines and fees and so on often far exceeding what you saved.

So, bearing that in mine, and the fact that SOME states have already cracked down on this, and others have at the very least considered it... Make your decision. 

But yes, you can do it.. What I do not know is how legal it is.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »
Many full-time RVers join Escapees which is based in Livingston, Texas.  Once a member you can become a legal resident of Texas which includes a valid address for vehicle registration, insurance, voting, etc.  In other words, you establish "domicile" there.  This is a legal concept that can trip you up if you're not careful.

Just so you are aware, the various states frown upon having your vehicles registered in one state with a driver's license from another state.  Advancements in computer technology have made it much easier for the states to cross-check these things so people are getting caught and prosecuted for tax evasion among other things.  You can't have a domicile in one state (especially one that is essentially a post office box) and your spouse have another one in another state - unless of course you actually are physically living in two different states which happens sometimes.  The point is that you need to be very careful how you do this so research it well and do it right so you don't need to keep looking over your shoulder wondering if you'll be caught.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »
Just wondering, does the state of SD require your vehicle to be inspected?. If so you will have to visit the state for that. If not your golden.

No inspection was required for us.
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

ramblinbob

• ---
    • Off The Wall & On The Road
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
That's good that you don't need an inspection in SD. Was figuring on changing my address there once I get on the road, but also was wondering if when you need a renewal on your DL if it goes by your birth date. Probably does I think, but don't want to have to go back in January. Anybody know? Maybe Texas is better for me.
2005 Born Free 24RB aka Momma C'
2010 Honda Element aka Ella B'

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »
You can actually register a vehicle in SD without being there if you gave an address there, (including PMB) AND will be in SD to obtain a drivers license within either 3 or 6 months. I am sure your mail provider can help with this.

ramblinbob

• ---
    • Off The Wall & On The Road
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 06:41:49 AM »
3-6 months is a big enough window to miss the bad weather. Thanks! Will look into it further.
2005 Born Free 24RB aka Momma C'
2010 Honda Element aka Ella B'

Tin man

• ---
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »
Something to think about, the oil boom is over (for now). The politicians are going to need to replace the lost income.  Things could be changing. 
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »
Something to think about, the oil boom is over (for now). The politicians are going to need to replace the lost income.  Things could be changing.

Wrong state.  North Dakota is the one with the Bakken oil fields.  We lived in SD for 9 years and long to go back but age is becoming a factor.  Great place, great people and politicians seem to work for 'the folks' in the smaller areas.  After paying 8.34 percent sales tax in Missouri (state, county, city), SD would be a nice place to register (and live for us).  I recall the motor vehicle sales tax to be 3 percent max, no state income tax but property tax is a bit higher than normal (whatever normal is).
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

docj

• ---
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 09:09:45 AM »
I'm surprised by the amount of confusion and misinformation in this thread.  I thought people here understood the issues better.

You DON'T have to have a driver's license from a particular state or be domiciled in that state to register a vehicle there.  All you need is a legal address at which it is "garaged."  Just imagine you are a rich person who has homes in several states.  You would have no problem registering vehicles using the addresses of those properties.  The state you choose for your legal domicile is the one from which you will get a driver's license.

The key issue is not so much where you register the vehicle, but where you intend to keep it.  To return to the OP's situation.  If they had an address in SD and registered a vehicle there, but kept it at their property in MI it could lead to questions being asked as to why it carried SD rather than MI plates.  All states have laws regarding how many days of a year a vehicle with out of state registration can be kept in-state without needing to be reregistered.  Whether or not you get caught at it depends on how obvious your situation is.  If you have to park your RV out in the open and you have nosey neighbors, it's possible someone will rat you at.  If, OTOH, the RV is kept in a garage and is only taken out when you use it, the chances of getting caught are somewhat reduced.  However, if you were in a traffic stop, a cop might, legitimately, ask why you have MI licenses and an SD-registered RV.

Forming an LLC in MT is a way to register an RV and avoid tax since MT doesn't have any registration tax.  However, the above-noted considerations still apply.  If the OP were to form a MT LLC but were to keep the vehicle in MI the same questions could be asked.  MT LLC's work best for full-timers who essentially don't have a home state that they spend much time in.  We are SD residents and have an MH with MT registration.  We occasionally vacation in SD but the vehicle doesn't spend all that many days there so we don't violate SD law. 
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Tin man

• ---
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 04:20:36 PM »
Thanks Bill for the correction. Ref SD/ND

JIM
Jim W
AKA TIN MAN
2007 36G Journey SE

Jomo

• ---
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »
Thanks for all your replies and thoughts.  Appreciate the input!
Jo & Jim
2007 Gulfstream Friendship 41' DP
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
Full time since June 2016
Home Base- Traverse City MI

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
I'm surprised by the amount of confusion and misinformation in this thread.  I thought people here understood the issues better.

You DON'T have to have a driver's license from a particular state or be domiciled in that state to register a vehicle there.  All you need is a legal address at which it is "garaged."  Just imagine you are a rich person who has homes in several states.  You would have no problem registering vehicles using the addresses of those properties.  The state you choose for your legal domicile is the one from which you will get a driver's license.

The key issue is not so much where you register the vehicle, but where you intend to keep it.  To return to the OP's situation.  If they had an address in SD and registered a vehicle there, but kept it at their property in MI it could lead to questions being asked as to why it carried SD rather than MI plates.  All states have laws regarding how many days of a year a vehicle with out of state registration can be kept in-state without needing to be reregistered.  Whether or not you get caught at it depends on how obvious your situation is.  If you have to park your RV out in the open and you have nosey neighbors, it's possible someone will rat you at.  If, OTOH, the RV is kept in a garage and is only taken out when you use it, the chances of getting caught are somewhat reduced.  However, if you were in a traffic stop, a cop might, legitimately, ask why you have MI licenses and an SD-registered RV.

Forming an LLC in MT is a way to register an RV and avoid tax since MT doesn't have any registration tax.  However, the above-noted considerations still apply.  If the OP were to form a MT LLC but were to keep the vehicle in MI the same questions could be asked.  MT LLC's work best for full-timers who essentially don't have a home state that they spend much time in.  We are SD residents and have an MH with MT registration.  We occasionally vacation in SD but the vehicle doesn't spend all that many days there so we don't violate SD law.

Joel

Except for corporations registered to do business in the state IL, WA, and SD require you to have a valid driver's license to register a vehicle in those states, or did while we resided in each.  MT requires the same, in this case the LLC is registered in MT.

State requirements regarding use of vehicles in their respective states make it pretty clear what the laws are.

docj

• ---
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »

Joel

Except for corporations registered to do business in the state IL, WA, and SD require you to have a valid driver's license to register a vehicle in those states, or did while we resided in each.  MT requires the same, in this case the LLC is registered in MT.

State requirements regarding use of vehicles in their respective states make it pretty clear what the laws are.

Not all states require you to hold a license from that state in order to register a vehicle.  For example, here's a lift from the Orgeon DMV website:

In addition, a vehicle may qualify for Oregon registration even if the owner is not a resident of Oregon or domiciled in Oregon if one or more of the following applies:

The owner is a business that maintains a main office, branch office or warehouse facility in Oregon and operates motor vehicles in Oregon;
The vehicle is usually left in Oregon when the owner is away from Oregon, is used primarily for personal transportation in Oregon, is a private passenger vehicle or a vehicle having a loaded weight of less than 10,000 pounds, and is not a motor home or a camper; or
The vehicle is operated in intrastate transportation for compensation or profit for other than seasonal agricultural work.

If you'd like to see this quote in context, you can find it here: http://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/driverid/residency.aspx

I have no idea how many states permit this but I sure it's not limited to OR.  Quite a few states have rules that state that vehicles that spend more than XX days in the state have to be registered there.  It's difficult to force people to register them if the Catch 22 is that the person owning the vehicle has to be a resident.

Here's a discussion about snowbird vehicle registration from a forum of The Villages, a major snowbird community in FL.  Several people responding to this thread say that they have vehicles registered both in FL and at their "other" home.  It doesn't sound like this is such big deal issue.  Here's the forum link: http://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/fl-car-registration-snowbirds-100923/

As another example, Maryland appears to handle the issue through what the State calls "dual registration": http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/27300/27300-07T.htm

As for the MT LLC, yes, my MH is registered in the name of my LLC which is a business entity, but it doesn't make the vehicle a commercial vehicle in the eyes of my insurance company.  So the net effect is that it is registered to me.

Note added later--Here's the FL motor vehicle code section dealing with vehicle registration.  Note that it says that the person registering the vehicle must have a drivers license issued by FL or another state:

320.02 Registration required; application for registration; forms.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every owner or person in charge of a motor vehicle that is operated or driven on the roads of this state shall register the vehicle in this state. The owner or person in charge shall apply to the department or to its authorized agent for registration of each such vehicle on a form prescribed by the department. A registration is not required for any motor vehicle that is not operated on the roads of this state during the registration period.
(2)(a) The application for registration must include the street address of the owner’s permanent residence or the address of his or her permanent place of business and be accompanied by personal or business identification information. An individual applicant must provide a valid driver license or identification card issued by this state or another state or a valid passport. A business applicant must provide a federal employer identification number, if applicable, or verification that the business is authorized to conduct business in the state, or a Florida municipal or county business license or number.

The more I look into this the more I'm convinced that this is a pretty common situation.  Lots of people own properties in multiple states.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:42:39 PM by docj »
Sandie & Joel

johnfromoz

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 10:46:23 PM »
Hy guys Newby to this forum and this site reading all this I wonder how would I as an Ozzie fit in with this topic in regards to LLC  and different state registrations ,with an Ozzie and international licence and wanting to live full time for few years, but not stay in any state for long .want to see Usa and Canada for 6month central and south Americas for 8-9month and back to us for 6month which states would be best to register vehicle and all nesecery paper work including insurance inspections rego drivers licence and wothever I forgot thanks guys

docj

• ---
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 08:18:40 AM »
Hy guys Newby to this forum and this site reading all this I wonder how would I as an Ozzie fit in with this topic in regards to LLC  and different state registrations ,with an Ozzie and international licence and wanting to live full time for few years, but not stay in any state for long .want to see Usa and Canada for 6month central and south Americas for 8-9month and back to us for 6month which states would be best to register vehicle and all nesecery paper work including insurance inspections rego drivers licence and wothever I forgot thanks guys

I don't think there's anything stopping you from setting up a Montana LLC and registering your vehicles into it.  Although there are legal fees associated with setting it up, there are considerable savings since MT doesn't charge a percentage-of-value tax to register a vehicle.  Since you aren't planning this as a long term investment, trying to take advantage of those savings would be worthwhile IMO.

I don't know anything about obtaining insurance for a non-US resident, but I wouldn't be surprised if your existing insurance company had a corresponding US company that it deals with that might be able to help you out.
Sandie & Joel

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
In recent years, some states in a quest for additional revenues, have challenged the MT LLC ownership method when the person behind the LLC is was not a MT resident. Some have been taken to court in their home state and lost the case which became very costly for them. I presume the giveaway was the fact that they left the vehicle with MT plates (ie garaged) in plain view and someone, perhaps out of jealousy, questioned/reported it. For someone from out of the country, this should never become a problem though. The Texas or SD plan just seems much easier and cheaper to deal with with no backlash as you are actually declaring a new domicile.

There are many Canadian snowbirds who own cars in Florida and they are registered and left there as well. Many obtained a temporary drivers license but many others have not and use their own Canadian issued licenses quite legally. The major problem with that temporary Florida permit is that it requires the holder to renew it yearly exactly on its anniversary and requires the person to be present on that exact date for testing etc. With many, this is not always feasible year after year. A friend of mine was told outright 6 years ago that to obtain insurance in FL he had to obtain and use that temporary license. This has since been proven false, so the various sources of information don't always have good information, including the State of Florida or County employees, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:46:59 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

docj

• ---
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 06:38:35 PM »
In recent years, some states in a quest for additional revenues, have challenged the MT LLC ownership method when the person behind the LLC is was not a MT resident. Some have been taken to court in their home state and lost the case which became very costly for them. I presume the giveaway was the fact that they left the vehicle with MT plates (ie garaged) in plain view and someone, perhaps out of jealousy, questioned/reported it.

If your register a vehicle to a MT LLC and then keep in your home state in excess of the number of days per year specified in your state's vehicle regulations then you are violating the law.  Misusing a MT LLC by some people shouldn't overshadow the fact that there are plenty of full-timers and others for whom using an LLC is totally legal.
Sandie & Joel

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 08:51:01 AM »
If your register a vehicle to a MT LLC and then keep in your home state in excess of the number of days per year specified in your state's vehicle regulations then you are violating the law.  Misusing a MT LLC by some people shouldn't overshadow the fact that there are plenty of full-timers and others for whom using an LLC is totally legal.

Exactly!!! In opening an LLC like that, they have not declared domicile in MT and that rule (often 30 days) comes into effect in their domiciled state. The situation was perhaps made more obvious by the MT plates as it is a well known method.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:53:36 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

jimpaar

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 11:05:16 AM »
South Dakota and Montana are great when make big purchase for tax breaks but that's about it. I live in Florida fulltime now and there is plenty of advantages.

There are obvious advantages to becoming a Florida resident. The first, and most well-known, is…Florida has no state income tax.
Full-time RV living in Florida has become a lifestyle choice for increasing numbers of modern-day nomads and Florida is a popular destination. Improvements in RV amenities and the scarcity of affordable housing are a few of the reasons that some people take their home to the open road permanently. Since home-schooling options have become more widely available, even families with young children can be full-time RV residents. Improvements in technology have made it possible for full-time RV residents to telecommute, pay bills, and stay in touch with friends and family while on the road.
How do you become a Florida Resident?
A lot of identity verification rules have been put in place since we hit the road, adding some additional hoops to getting a driver’s license in any state. Which means you need to start your process a month or so before getting your driver’s license to make sure you have everything you need.
Here’s the steps we recommend after going through the process ourselves:
   Get quotes for your health and auto insurance and check into registration fees, so there will be no surprises.
   Establish your new domicile address at least a month before you anticipate applying for your driver’s license or ID card. Do your research as to which is best for you – rates for insurance (vehicle & health) can vary widely at different zip codes. Vehicle insurance rates are very reasonable in Okaloosa County.
   I recommend Good Sam Mail Service https://www.goodsammailservice.com/ in Florida. They’ve been in business for many years serving the cruising, RVing and traveler communities, and we’ve heard nothing but glowing recommendations. They were easy to work with, sign-up was handled all online, and they provided all of the forms and instructions. They quickly answered our questions, including verifying that you could use our new address for our businesses without needing any additional occupancy license. Very impressed with their high tech scanning solution that actually lets you see the outside of incoming mail as soon as it arrives, and for a small extra fee they will even open your mail and scan the contents on request!
   As with any mail forwarding service, you’ll need to fill out a Postal Form 1583 to authorize the service to forward mail to you. The form must be notarized, and you must send copies of 2 forms of identification for each person along with it.
   Make sure your SSN card shows your name exactly as you want it to appear on your license.
   Start changing your address with banks, credit cards and insurance companies.

Why Florida over other states?
-   Very little red tape in Florida making it an easy transition.
-   Some of the most beautiful RV Resorts in the country.
-   The obvious, no state income tax.
-   Driver’s license is good for 8 years plus it’s easy to renew online wherever you’re at.
-   No annual vehicle inspections like Texas. This is big because you have to move your RV to the inspection station every year.
-   In Florida you only need a Class E driver’s license for any size RV. In some states you’ll need a special non-commercial Class A or B driver’s license.
-   Florida is highly regarded by a few RV Club’s for mail forwarding – Florida has far more resources for mail forwarding. 
-   No pension tax in Florida
-   No astronomical fees for vehicle registration, Florida is very reasonable.

marcortez

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »
Google up Clay County South Dakota treasury office.

http://www.claycountysd.org/treasurersoffice.cfm

The lady who answers the phone is super nice and will tell you EXACTLY what to submit to get your SD registration.

I have registered 3 vehicles there and have never set foot in that state.
Clay county DOES NOT CARE where you live.

Easy online renewals with the tags sent to your mailing address.

Fees are low.....Nevada wanted $600 bucks to renew a 2014 F-150. SD $135 bucks.
No smog tests ever.
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CC 4x4 CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja 245RLW

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 08:20:30 PM »
Jo

I would check with SD but I beleive you can register the RV in SD now IF your husband is the sole owner and he goes to SD within six months to obtain a SD DL.

Florida, SD, and TX are probably recommended more as a domicile than other states but I would still suggest to investigate them all.

Florida would be a long drive for someone who doesn't visit the SE regularly.

When we originally moved our domicile to SD we were allowed to register vehicles but had to appear in SD within six months to obtain SD driver's licenses.

We can renew our plates using a SD address and can renew a DL once by mail IF we have a campground receipt for a night in SD within the last twelve months. The second renewal requires showing up to prove you are still kicking (and to take a vision test). Also if you already own your RV and did not pay any sales tax in your previous state you will be required to pay the 4% SD use tax when you register. If you previously paid tax and have a receipt you receive credit for that tax.

Texas requires a driver's test for RVs over 26000 pounds and annual vehicle inspections if you are in state or upon re-entering Texas.

Many RVers create a MT LLC for the RV as a tax haven but if you use MT as your domicile they do have a personal income tax rate of 8% (IIRC) . The MT LLC is not recognized by many (most?) other states as a legal tax avoidance if you are domiciled outside MT.

Other issues can be the cost of vehicle insurance, availability and cost of health insurance, and wills and inheritance taxes to name a few.

As I said, do your research.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:57:44 PM by Jeff »

docj

• ---
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 10:11:44 PM »

Many RVers create a MT LLC for the RV as a tax haven but if you use MT as your domicile they do have a personal income tax rate of 8% (IIRC) . The MT LLC is not recognized by many (most?) other states as a legal tax avoidance if you are domiciled outside MT.

With all due respect this is a rather sweeping generalization of a rather complex topic.  If you choose to use a MT LLC you should be cognizant of the laws of the state you are domiciled in to determine if you are in compliance.  Irrespective of what is written in forums such at this, there are many very expensive Montana-registered RVs and boats in the US owned by people who do not live in MT.  As with any complex tax issue, advice from an expert is usually advisable.
Sandie & Joel

Hosted by Over The Network