Cell signal booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travellerz71

I have an ipad that I use as a hotspot for my wireless devices. I need help picking out the best booster its on Verizon.

You are looking for a booster for Verizon's signal, right? Not a wifi booster? If this something you know you need, i.e. you will be in a place with little or no cell service, or just something to help out if needed? And I assume you need a booster that works with 4G LTE and not just 3G? Will it be just the Ipad that needs it? No cell phones in use?

The best cell boosters come from weBoost, formerly Wilson AMplifiers.  The good ones are pricey and the less expensive ones don't help much. To be effective, you need a substantial outside antenna, usually at least several feet above the RV roofline. That connects to an inside antenna that re-broadcasts the signal. If the Ipad can be very close to the inside antenna (like 4-10 inches), you don't need much for an inside antenna, but if you want to walk around the inside of the RV and talk on a cell phone, you need a top quality inside antenna as well. A "whole house" or "small office" size, not the typical car-interior antenna.

I used the weBoost "Home 4G" model this summer in the4 North Carolina mountains and it helped (went from zero service to moderate). Antenna mounted on a mast at the rear of our coach and 18 ft above the ground.

I will also need cell phone inside and yes 4G LTE. What antenna do you outside and inside. My next trip is Mama Gerties in about 2 months and last time there cell service was weak.

Mama Gerties is where I was using the weBoost Home 4G (aka Wilson DT 4G). It comes as a complete kit with a directional external antenna (a flat panel type), an small inside antenna (also directional), 50 ft of coax and a power supply.

Service is really tough there unless you are on the very top level where it is open. Too much mountain in the way!

You may be better off with a wifi antenna and a repeater. Gerties has good park internet, so you mostly need a good wifi antenna to pull in the park wifi plus a repeater to make it more easily accessible to your other devices.  We used park internet & wifi for two months last summer. The cell booster was primarily for our phones.

Hi Bobby,

I use an older Wilson Sleek (4G Verizon) and it makes a noticeable difference for me (but is not magic nor create signal where there is none).  Putting the antenna (6" shorty) outside on the roof helps. Putting a better antenna (12" omni) and ground plane on a pole 20' in the air helps even more.  I would like to try the newer weBoost home solution that Gary mentioned - saving my pennies now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom