Should I keep the TT plugged in during the winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

89Layton

We are getting ready to park our TT for the winter. Just wondering about the battery. Should we leave the TT plugged in or should I just pull the battery for the winter and store inside?

Thanks for the replies, I will get a battery tender and pull the battery.

No need to run the converter all the time. Pull the batteries or at a minimum disconnect the batteries. If they are fully charged, IMHO, I believe they would be OK left in the RV.

I leave mine plugged in year round.  Granted, I live in a typically warm climate with the occasional hard freeze.  Battery is 4 years old this spring.  So far, so good.

It never hurts to pull the battery, but there are a lot of factors... age of battery, length/severity of winter, type of power hookup, type of converter (3-stage, or single stage that might "cook" the batteries), etc.

I have a dedicated 30-amp power hookup at home where my trailer is parked, and I might casually use the rig over the winter when it's not FREEZING cold... hard to say in IL, our winters can go either way.  Currently here on November 2nd, it is 70 degrees and sunny for the next several days.  Within the last couple weeks it was overcast 45 degrees and near-freezing overnights.  :eek:

I always left my motorhome's house batteries installed (and charging on the 3-stage converter) because they were a pain to get out sideways, and never had any problems.  My current trailer's battery is right on the tongue and should be simple to unhook and lift off if I choose to do so.

1st: If you batteries are not kept charged and they are subject to cold temperatures they will freeze.
I live in Alabama where our weather seldom get below 20 degrees F. I hurt my back the last time I changed out the batteries in my motorhome, so I won't be doing that again. I have left the batteries in for the past 20 years with the power connected. However, if you do this, be sure to check the water in the batteries ever 2-3 months.
Frank

I also keep our MH plugged in all year long. We are in the PNW so not so extreme temps.

I had problems with a past rig that would overcharge the battery if left plugged in.
With the current travel trailer I leave the battery on the trailer, and hook up a battery tender. Has worked fine for a car and motorcycle that are parked for months at a time, and so far is working fine on the TT.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
I had problems with a past rig that would overcharge the battery if left plugged in.

That can be an issue with single-stage converters that just charge the battery continuously when plugged in.  The recommended style of converter is a 3-stage, usually having a Fast Charge, Slow Charge, and Trickle Charge modes.  Those converters sense when the battery is charged, and switches to trickle charge (just like a battery tender) to keep the battery topped off without boiling water out.  Water levels should still be checked a couple times per year, but overcharging is a lot less of a problem with a 3-stage converter.  It's good for everyone to check the converter in their rig and know what kind they have.  Usually it is marked with the make/model, or your owner's manual may have that info.

Frizlefrak said:
I leave mine plugged in year round.  Granted, I live in a typically warm climate with the occasional hard freeze.  Battery is 4 years old this spring.  So far, so good.

You just had to say it didn't you? 

This last spring I had to to replace both our batteries the day before we launched to come back home from Arizona.  At the four year mark you need to speak in a very low voice about your batteries as they'll probably hear you. ::)

And if you leave them in the rig, plugged in, the rig is ready to be used when the power goes out during a storm. And you know they're hooked up properly, no need to try to remember where that little blue wire went, or take the risk of connecting them wrong next spring. Do a search and read about folks that have hooked up batteries wrong on this forum. If you can plug it in, do it.

Ken

I remove and place on a box in the garage and use the Battery Tender. I also alternate the Tender between the TT battery, the 2 motorcycles, and the ride around mower changing about every 4-5 days. Keeps them all happy and ready for Spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom