Take a harp along on your next trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan de La Mesa

Not exactly on the current topic, but it might be entertaining to know that when we had a Safari Cheetah and full-timed, I always had my concert harp up front near the Lazyboy rocker/recliner.  The crown fit with exactly two inches above to spare, and I anchored it with straps bolted into the RV frame when moving. I got the idea from a friend who said she took her smaller celtic harp camping, and that it always seemed "at home" among all those trees. (Unlike pianos, harps are strung on wooden frames.)  I thought she was goofy but tried it and never went out without it after that.

While I despised driving that vehicle because of its size and the clumsy, air-padded way it waddled and sloshed around the road, it also had room for my cello in the closet across the back of the bedroom.  Cellos in their protective cases are space hogs, in case there's not one in your life. If you fly with one, you need to buy a second ticket for it and strap it in beside you, since you're likely to collect a pile of expensive splinters at the baggage claim if you don't.

A ukelele is a much saner travel instrument, for sure.

I was brought up in a country where the harp was played at countless public performances, and there are a number of songs from the olde country that would sound far better if accompanied by a harp. I've never tried to play one, but long ago ruled out the idea of taking a harp along in the coach; It and I would probably be put in a tent  :(

A ukelele is a much saner travel instrument, for sure.

LOL. I've tried taking a 76-key keyboard, a guitar and a banjo along, and the driver was not a happy camper  :(

Never seen anybody schlepp a harp before ..  but hey, if you can play it, bring it!  I schlepp a piano (Yamaha CP300 - 88 keys, weighted action).  I get lots of strange looks - but hey, nothing more relaxing than sitting down and playing at the end of the day! (Except maybe sitting down and playing ... along with a few fingers worth of bourbon!  8)

Ah, yes, now we've gotten to the nitty gritty: it's not the instrument, it's the accompaniment (i. e., two fingers).

I have a friend who schleps an Irish harp around everywhere she goes, with a guitar, a banjo, and uke.

The harp is 100% carbon fiber and sounds great.  It's very strong and impervious to changes in humidity. On the other hand it's about 1/3 the size of the concert harp we schlepped through Portugal & Spain last June & July.  It was huge and barely fit into an oversized box truck.

When I was in band in highschool, I played the concert harp in the marching band. Hurt my back so I had to go to a ukelele.

I realize I am joining this topic a bit late, but it is really encouraging to hear about people travelling with a concert grand harp! Two years ago I bought a Salvi Daphne 47 string semi-grand pedal harp & I was nervous about the possibility of bringing it in my camper if I decide to RV full time. Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

I built a small harp that rests on my lap to travel with. Plans for this instrument are found on MusicMakers.com . I would attach a photo, but I guess my file is too big to post on this forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom