Got my Geezer Pass!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou Schneider

Site Team
I turned 62 on Friday, so this weekend I decided to celebrate by visiting Joshua Tree National Park.  Got my America The Beautiful Senior Pass at the entrance station and enjoyed the free admission and half price camping.

This makes full timing look so much more affordable than before. 

Now all I have to do is extricate myself from the work situation and I can hit the road!

Life is good ...

Say it isn't so!  You can't possibly be that old!  Congrats on this passage!

Any photos?

Got mine this summer. Done work January 1. Hope to meet some of the fine folks on here this summer.

The Geezer Pass is a good news bad news situation. Good news that you are saving money, bad news that you are getting old. It is really depressing when you go somewhere that offers a senior discount and they give it to you without even asking. What you really want to happen is they try and charge you normal price so you say 'But I am a senior' and they reply 'hogwash, you don't look a day over 50'.

SeilerBird said:
The Geezer Pass is a good news bad news situation. Good news that you are saving money, bad news that you are getting old. It is really depressing when you go somewhere that offers a senior discount and they give it to you without even asking. What you really want to happen is they try and charge you normal price so you say 'But I am a senior' and they reply 'hogwash, you don't look a day over 50'.

That only happens, at least to me, where they rely on tips. :'(

I've been getting senior discounts without asking for a couple of years.  It's illegal for them to ask for verification unless they card everyone ... age discrimination or somesuch.

What hurt, though was when I put the name "Fester Addams" on a grocery store club card application and no one questioned it.    :-[

As far as getting older, I'm reminded of a quote by a 76 year old man I worked with when I was in my 20s.  He was younger physically and mentally than some people half his age, and he once pointed out that we're all the same.  We're all getting older, it's just that some people have had a head start down that road.

The company I'm working for is in the middle of a multimillion dollar expansion into new facilities.  We should have been in the new building by now, but at this point it's 18 months behind schedule and they want me to stay on until it's finished and we're moved in.  I'm not directly involved in the project, just taking up some of the slack in other areas.  I really want to leave now and it would tauke a large bribe for me to stay beyond the end of this year.  I've already worked an itinerary for things I want to do that takes up most of next year.

BTW, Tom - thanks for the nice photo but that must be someone else ... I don't own a tie.  But I would have loved to meet Moe and Curly!

Congrats on the pass and nearing retirement, Lou.  I had forgotten how young you were about 19 years ago when we first met.  I'll bet you haven't changed a bit!

Margi

I paid my $20 to get into the WahWeap campground today. The other half turns 62 in 5 months. Ranger Ruth didn't think she could give her the pass yet. Said to come back in 5 months. Oh well, we tried.

Ken

Lou,
I'm a fair clip behind you on that path, but I believe what they say about the importance of having a reason to get up in the morning, having a purpose, and all of that....
But I've gotta say that if you really want to go
and you don't need the money
go now!
Don't work because they want you to. 
Work only because you want to.

I have had my gimp pass for about 15 years, and the state parks equivalent.  Thanks to advances in prosthetic technology I just about do everything I used to.  So I get dirty looks when I show up in a CG with my disabled license plate, a canoe on the roof, and mountain bikes in the bed of the PU.

Lou, it's about time you started catching up with the rest of us!  ;D  Terry and I got our geezer passes at the same time.

ArdraF

Lou Schneider said:
I turned 62 on Friday, so this weekend I decided to celebrate by visiting Joshua Tree National Park. 

I will be in Joshua Tree tomorrow for the winter - got my Geezer pass a few years ago at the Bison Range in Montana and have saved a fortune in entrance fees and camping fees both at National Parks and quite a few State Parks....Love it.

I never had to buy the Geezer Pass. I got a Cripple Pass about 12 years ago. It is free with all the same benefits. I visited every one of the National Parks and camped at most all of them. They are all wonderful. I really love Joshua Tree, it is in my top ten. One of the best kept secrets of the National Park system.

My Tom got his at nearby (at the time) Lassen Volcanic National Park.  Pretty neat because whenever we had friends or family visiting, we always drove them through the park to see the Bumpass Hell and the lake which was often frozen in the middle of the summer.  I got mine years later while in Iowa.  It has saved us a fair amount of cash over the years of traveling.

Have to hope Jerry doesn't see this or there will be some embarrassing questions. ;D

Lou Schneider said:
I turned 62 on Friday, so this weekend I decided to celebrate by visiting Joshua Tree National Park.  Got my America The Beautiful Senior Pass at the entrance station and enjoyed the free admission and half price camping.

This makes full timing look so much more affordable than before. 

Now all I have to do is extricate myself from the work situation and I can hit the road!

Life is good ...

Hi Lou,

I'm three days behind you and chopping at the bit to retire. Will have to get a Senior Pass. My wife who is a lot older than me (three months), can't wait for me to join her age group. Probably all the jokes she has to put during that time. We have fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom