Where is this water coming from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaina_mary

living in a 1989 Shasta trailer full time. We have this spot on the carpet in the bedroom that mysteriously gets wet. The water is coming up through the carpet, and we cannot figure out what its from or even where to start trying to solve the problem! Hoping someone here can offer some help with this. It's not constant, just pops up every once in awhile. It started again yesterday after a couple month of no problems and is pretty bad here's some pictures to help me explain.
The first one is so you can get an idea of the layout. Off to the side there is our bathroom, which has water.. but it cant be coming from the bathroom because the water runs in the opposite direction, towards the kitchen. At the head of the bed, theres a storage compartment  outside where the water pump is. We figured it was probably where the water is from. But theres no sign of water anywhere near the pump or on the floor around it. So a closer look at the water spot.. As you can see from the towels, the water is just coming up right there in the middle. Not from under the bed like it should if the pump was the problem. We really don't want to rip this place up as its our permanent home. Any ideas of what to do and how to go about it??

Attachments

• 12072607_10205109763044080_157108435045043372_n.jpg
    12072607_10205109763044080_157108435045043372_n.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 12187661_10205109763244085_80143674407972933_n.jpg
    12187661_10205109763244085_80143674407972933_n.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 113
Is there a water tank located under whatever that woodgrain furniture item is in the bottom left of the second photo?

There is a water tank under the bed (the side with the cupboard doors) But theres no water in it because we dont use the tank. Just plugged into water all the time. The other side is the bathroom wall.
The leak is getting a lot worse today, we just did some more looking around and noticed that there is water behind the toilet against the wall like it could seep into the bedroom. So.. we are thinking that the leak is where ever the toilet connects to the main line. But we dont know how to access that spot, or its exact locations. Other then somewhere near the wet spot obviously lol. But it seems odd that it would only happen every now and again rather then just leaking all the time... RV's are so fussy! If anyone has any other suggestions or tips or anything, all the help and input is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

Are you using a water pressure reducer on your intake - my toilet leaked at several parks due to high water pressure...

Make sure you use a good brass pressure reducer - I have been in parks that have over 100 PSI of water pressure and lines and connections will leak...

Good Luck,

Jim

elaina_mary said:
Nope we're not using one, but are on the hunt for one now! :D Thanks for the suggestion Jim!

Since it is sporadic I would think it is a pressure problem - if you have been moving from park to park...If you have been in the same park it could be because of less people on the system which would increase the water pressure...

They make several kinds - I first bought a plastic one because it was all I could find at the time and it failed quickly now have a brass one with a gauge and it can be adjusted....had it now for almost 2 years and still working fine.

This is the one I currently use - HERE!

I have this one as a spare...and it works well! - HERE!

Good Luck,

Jim

we stay in one spot, but totally going to try this before doing anything to drastic. The Mr. is looking for one at his work, but if he doesnt find one im going to order it online. Thanks again!

Oh, and no one moves in or out. We are on private property rather then in a park.

Walmart carries them in the RV department and a lot of RV parks sell them in the office. Or go out late at night with a wrench and steal one from your neighbor.  :eek: Oh wait, I didn't say that. ???

Sounds like we will be getting one tomorrow morning, and he will put it on during his lunch tomorrow. Wal-mart is like 30 miles away lol 

elaina_mary said:
snipped .....
The leak is getting a lot worse today, we just did some more looking around and noticed that there is water behind the toilet against the wall like it could seep into the bedroom. So.. we are thinking that the leak is where ever the toilet connects to the main line. .....snipped

One unusual spot behind the toilet are the connections. Tucked in behind the toilet itself you will likely find a small plastic back flow preventer which is there to stop any water in the toilet area from getting back into the fresh water system. They can crack and leak. The preventer may be toilet brand/model specific though so you will need that info for shopping. 
They are easily replaced if needed but this is an awkward spot to work. Worth checking out though!!

Thanks! All the stuff behind the toilet is fine, but that does remind me. There was a tiny leak in that hose just last week. We tightened the clasp and then the big leak started under the floor, making me think it really does have something to do with the pressure. Its still morning here, but will have one put on by tonight for sure! If he cant find one in our town, then we will take a drive to wal-mart. You guys are super helpful here!!! I think after we sort this out ill be back asking about the furnace, thanks everyone.

Check where the hose passes through the wall behind the toilet.  When you tightened the connection you flexed the hose, maybe enough to jar something that was pressing into the hose at or behind the wall.

Wrapping a suspect hose or joint with a paper towel is a good way to find a small or intermittent leak that's hard to spot otherwise. 

I'd note that the small brass pressure reducers usually reduce pressure only with flow through them. You really need a Watts or similar regulator if pressurecis really the problem.

Ernie

All he could find locally was a small brass one. It says it reduces to 40-50 PSI. Got it put on now though, so keep your fingers crossed for me! I will just keep mopping up the mess and hope it dries out now. If it doesnt then onto the next suggestions! :) Is the Watts regulator one of the adjustable ones? I hope we dont have to get to the hose behind the wall since im not sure how we would do it, but totally might have to if this fails.

Those cheap brass so-called regulators are really just flow restrictors and while they may seem to reduce the water pressure when a faucet is open, they will do nothing for the static pressure when all faucets are closed.  Do get a true regulator like the Watts.  They are not only adjustable but will regulate the water pressure regardless if a faucet is open or not.  You mount it right on the hose bib before your potable water hose to protect your entire water system, including the hose.

Yes the Watts is adjustable. The one you purchased most people say they are junk and won't last too long.

The Watts regulator is sold in hardware and big box stores, not an RV parts place.

It's designed to be installed in the pipe going to a stick and brick house, which means you'll also have to get a pair of pipe thread to garden hose adapters to make it fit in line with your water hose.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4-in-Brass-MPT-x-FTP-Pressure-Reducing-Valve-3-4-LFN45BM1-U/205073410

The Valterra regulator mentioned by Wigpro is also a good choice, and comes ready to go.

Valtera Adjustable Water Pressure Regulator

This is the one many people buy:  http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-1117VP-Lead-Free-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B003YJLAIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446589189&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+water+regulator+adjustable

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom