Where is this water coming from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks guys!! For now the little brass one seems to be slowing the leak, but not sure if its stopped it entirely. Time will tell, but either way sounds like we need to get one of the big ones. He looked here already and they dont have it. (we dont have an RV parts store, or a big box store so he looked at the hardware store) But I can order it online. 

right now im just super thankful it has slowed down!! What a damn mess its been lol

Happy to say, this cheap one is working!! :D tomorrow we are going to spend the money and get a good one so it will keep working lol thanks again you guys!

it started getting bad again overnight. I suspect because the little one doesnt stop the pressure while the water is off like you all said :) But we have a big one now, just working on getting the right adapter / fitting things. He just went back to the hardware store, but we're totally workin on it! Also, go a heated hose for winter, it was expensive but should be totally worth it!

its on. Currently set at 30PSI.. I sure hope this works! If not we will be tearing thing up!

Well... its not the mess it was before! But still leaking. Looks like this weekend we will be attempting to take up part of the floor.

Before you rip up the floor I would carfully inspect everything in the plumbing you have access to, sinks, drains, hot water tank,fresh water tank,pump, toilet. If you have a leak in your line below the bedroom floor you would see signs of it leaking down before up. It would take alot of water to soak through the sheet of plywood and then up and into the carpet. Below the water spot is there a cargo hold or is it the underside of the RV? If theres a cargo hold you should see water on the ceiling of the cargo hold or if there is not you should see water dripping out the bottom of the RV. Has it been raining the days the water spot gets bad? I would start by disconnecting the water inlet and put some water in your tank and use the water pump to apply pressure to the line if the water pump keeps cycling you know there a leak in the lines. If it doesn't its could be from the drain side. The bathroom in my RV is linoleum and I have had 3 leaks that made my bedroom carpet wet and you may want to check.
1. toilet valve leak only when flushing
2. Toilet seal was leaking,no water on the floor but it was leaking above the plywood floor but below the linoleum.
3 when we took a shower the water would hit the wall run down the wall and find its way under the linoleum

Also you can try calling the maker of your RV and see if they have information on the plumbing and where everything is routed. I call fleetwood for my 89 bounder and the were able to send me a pdf of my pluming and electrical. It showed all connections and where they were routed through the RV.

I agree - water rarely runs uphill - so I doubt the problem is below the floor...my pipes froze once and later I discovered water on my bathroom floor - upon investigation it was an elbow joint that cracked way under the hot water heater and the water was traveling across the floor and seeping through a wall and out in the open of the bathroom floor.

I ended up cutting out a long U shaped loop of plumbing and slicing in a straight piece of new Pex tubing and thus eliminated the leaking elbows and also the three 90 degree joints.

Remember carpet acts like a huge wick...

Good Luck,

Jim

A small leak can cause a surprisingly large "puddle" of soaked carpet a distance away from the leak, depending on if the water seeped along a wall or another uncarpeted area.  That's why I suggested wrapping suspect connections with a paper towel to detect seepage or an intermittent leak.

Leave the paper towel on for a while, then look at it and see if it's absorbed any wetness.

thanks so much for all your suggestions!! I will have him read through all this tomorrow, he finally has a few days off after a busy work season so we will be working on this more for sure!! The problem seems to be lack of access to the plumbing, its so hard to get to! We know where it goes, but its hard to get to. hes actually thinking about jacking it up on one side to make the leak run to the outside rather then come up under the carpet. I really hate to think that's an actual fix though lol I would prefer to fix it all together!!

he said we would have to tear out the bathroom sink / cupboard to get to the leak, anyone know how to easily do this without breaking everything?

you thought the leak was under the carpet floor and now you believe the leak is under the bathroom sink cabnet. We are in the dark, It helps if you answer the questions ask and tell us what you have found so we can help with the next step instead of telling us what you are planing to do next.  Are you guessing its coming from under the sink cabnet or do you visually see the leak? Or do you see water coming out from under the cabnet? Did you check to see if your water pump cycles non stop? Just want to make sure your on the right track and not tearing apart something that may not be the problem. As for the question with the bathroom cabnet. The inside botton of our bathroom cabnet is a thin board held by staples. We can pry the bottom up to see the plumbing under the cabnet. Yours might be different but you can check and see. If you post some pics inside and out somebody might know how to remove it without doing to much damage.

We havent found anything, and cannot see anything because we cant access it. I thought under the floor because the water coming up through the carpet. But then after talking with my mom and her boyfriend (we got this RV from them) we determined there no water line running under the floor, they all run above the floor along side the trailer, so we think it must be somewhere in that cabinet where we cannot see or reach, we have tried and crawled in the little spaces we do have access but nothing we can reach is wet or leaking..
At this point we dont have a plan.. kind of in the  dark ourselves!

So to directly answer questions..
Are you guessing its coming from under the sink cabnet or do you visually see the leak? - guessing, we cant see anything.
Or do you see water coming out from under the cabnet? - No, the carpet in the bedroom is the only thing getting wet.
Did you check to see if your water pump cycles non stop? - Were not even using the pump, hooked up to city water constant, tank is empty.

If I've missed any questions, just let me know. Im not really sure what to take pictures of. Now he is saying we can try taking out the nightstand instead. He is fed up with me asking, and im fed up with the wet floor. lol

You can be pretty sure water is not coming "up" from under the floor, water does not flow upwards nor will it flow upwards through a 1/2" - 3/4" sheet of plywood. The first thing to do is lift the carpet and see what is going on under there. You may have to cut into the plywood to determine what is happening.....

You can be pretty sure there may be some pipes under the floor too, perhaps very few, but.... Side to side piping has to be under or you would trip on it!! For example, the water entry is usually on the left (driver's) side. Are there any sinks, toilets on the right side??

All the plumbing runs along the left side, nothing on the right. Heres some more pictures :) The first one with the paper towels on the floor is where its getting wet. The dark spots in the towels, so mostly right up against that wall now since we put the good regulator on. The other side of the wall is the bathroom, which is the next picture. The floor in the bathroom is totally dry, no water behind the toilet at all. But then right on the other side of the wall, the carpet is getting wet. Then the picture with the cupboard door open. Everything we can reach inside that cupboard is dry and not leaking.

Attachments

• 11233498_10205130404720109_6620319406971283012_n.jpg
    11233498_10205130404720109_6620319406971283012_n.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 12191050_10205130404880113_3206533673056400189_n.jpg
    12191050_10205130404880113_3206533673056400189_n.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 12227820_10205130405120119_3800989230025534824_n.jpg
    12227820_10205130405120119_3800989230025534824_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 27
There is an opening in the wall between the bathroom cabinet and the underside of the bedroom cabinet, for sure the heating duct travels through it and there's a good possibility the water line does also.  Or there's an elbow just shy of the wall that allows the water line to make the bend to the toilet.  The opening is likely a notch in the wall at floor level and will provide a path for any wetness from under the bathroom sink or anywhere along the water line to get into the bedroom.

The bedroom cabinet also extends to the left under the bed platform, water could be coming into it from that direction if there are any water lines or components under the bed.  Is your water pump or water tank located there?

If the bedroom cabinet has a false floor, it's likely just stapled in place and you should be able to pry it up and gain access to that space.

Same thing for the floor of the toilet paper compartment.  It should just pry up to let you see down into the area below it.

I would not tear anything apart until I had confirmation the leak is in that area. The leak could be ten feet away and running down a channel because your RV is leaning that way. When we did our renovations most of the RV structures are nailed and glued. When you remove them they usually get destroyed and a new one will need to be built. The water can be coming from rain getting in, the pressure side of the water or the drains. The first thing is to narrow it down.
1. Has it been raining when the water is on the floor? If yes then you need to look at your seals on the outside.
2. You know the pump and fresh water tank are not leaking because you have no water in the system. Disconnect the inlet water to your RV and add water to your tank. Power up the water pump and give it a couple of minutes to put pressure in the system.  If the pump shuts off and stays off your water lines are good and the problem is in the drain system. If the pump keeps turning on ever few seconds or continues to run you know its in the pressure side. Let us know what you have found.
3. Have you check the hot water tank? Locate the hot water tank panel on the outside and your tank will be inside in that location. Mine is in the bedroom closet under the bottom panel.

I think I would turn off the water at your hookup and only use water pumped from your fresh water tank until the problem is solved. The pressure from your pump won't be excessive.

I would also buy one of these so I could monitor the pressure coming into the RV. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WATER-SOURCE-LLC-Water-Pressure-Test-Gauge-100-PSI/45821925

Sorry for not getting back to you all! Life happened and we were pretty stuck about what to do next. Access to the leaky spot is so limited!! As of right now its not resolved, and were having issue with the water line freezing. The same one that is leaking.. so today we are just going to retire that line and run a new one  that will come straight through the bathroom cabinet! :D Leak will be solved, and freezing problem will be solved now to!

elaina_mary said:
Sorry for not getting back to you all! Life happened and we were pretty stuck about what to do next. Access to the leaky spot is so limited!! As of right now its not resolved, and were having issue with the water line freezing. The same one that is leaking.. so today we are just going to retire that line and run a new one  that will come straight through the bathroom cabinet! :D Leak will be solved, and freezing problem will be solved now to!

Sounds like a good solution to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom