1997 chev p37 chassis, transmission swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi: As above, I have a 97 Majestic Flyer. I need a new transmission and I've been searching the net to find out as much as I could. It seems that it is a chev 4L80E tranny and from what I could find out, any of the HD pick ups or vans use the same one. So, I bought one off Kijiji after measuring etc.
According to my info, you just change the tail stock and presto..it fits...WRONG. The one I bought was a 2 wheel drive from a 2004 savana 2500. The tail stocks have the same bolt pattern, but the output shafts are different. My tail stock has mounts for the drive shaft E Brake. I took them to a tranny shop and the guy said no way, can't be done.
Does anyone have any knowledge on these trannies?

You need one from a motor home, as they have the brake on the output shaft. The trans you bought will likely be too light duty. The case may be the same but you would have to disassemble both transmissions to change the out put shaft.

Thanks 92ga, That is what the tranny guy told me too.  Do you happen to know if the 4L80E has some other designate numbers to indicate it is from a mh. It seems that there are 2 of those as well. I'm reading that (at least this is the way I understand it) that under 16000lb gvwr has a parking pawl and over does not. If that were the case, you would think there must be some way to identify them. My mh is 14800lbs gvwr. I talked to GM head office but they don't know either. I'm all ears at this point. Trying to get it done before the snow flies. Just south of Ottawa. Any help is greatly
appeciated. Thanks again, Gord.

I would have the original trans rebuilt and reinstall it, if it were mine. You really won't know the condition of a used trans.

I am with 92GA, I wouldn't install a used transmission without rebuilding it any way so take your old one to a good shop. Tell them what you are using it for and that you want heavy duty clutch packs and a shift kit.
Bill

Thanks for the advice guys. Normally I would do just that, but while removing it,it had really got stuck to the engine and the casting broke in 3 places. If only one broke I wouldn't be too concerned. 3 poses a problem. I know it could be welded, but, I'd be worried about it breaking again. I suppose I could have the guts of the original rebuilt and put into the casting of the other one that I bought. Maybe I'll look into that. Of course it's all about cost. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.
Thank again, Gord.

You are going to have to tear both transmissions down to change the main shaft in the trans. They might just as well do the rebuild then. Labor cost shouldn't be that much more to freshen the the clutch pacs. You will need a new rubber kit anyways. Labor cost to clean is going to be a wash.

Not on a MH, but I've had plenty of transmissions apart. I'm an EX drag racer, built my own cars for years. Never had a 4l80E apart but have had several 700r4 and 4l60 s apart.  There is a lot more labor on these new overdrive transmissions, they take at least 2 times as long to rebuild.

Well, I do a lot of my own work but my skill set stops when it comes to rebuilding a tranny or engine. I'll leave that to someone with more patience than I have. I've watched the u tube videos and although I feel I could do it, I would want someone with experience to be there with me. I thing I'll
just leave it to the pros. Thanks again, Gord.

Back
Top Bottom