Our kayak trip yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

Friday,  November 6  At Key Largo Kampground
Nanci and I  had an awesome nature watching paddle today with the under sea viewing as good as it gets.
The wind was out of the north east at 15 MPH, so we opted for the wind  protected west side of El Radabob Key.
We left our campground and paddled several miles  through Largo sound via the canoe trails at John Pennekamp Coral reef state  park . At the north end of  the sound, we continued north via ?Figment Creek? which is a no motor boat zone and parallels ?North Sound creek? which is the main channel out to the Atlantic. After about a mile and a half we cut east into the dense mangroves of  El  Radabob via  narrow ?Shark Creek? that is a half mile long  short cut out to the Atlantic if you are brave enough to take it and can find it. The first portion of the creek is so narrow, and canopy enshrouded that it is impossible to use a paddle, and you simply pull yourself using the mangrove roots.  There are constant ninety degree turns and with my eighteen foot long kayak, I have to inch forward and backward to make the swing
It is all worth it though  since the last several hundred yards is as good as being out at the reef.
It widens out to about ten feet and the bottom is a mixture of white sand, sea grasses, and old dead coral  with small caves and holes to hide the various brightly colored fish. The depth varies from a few feet to five or six feet and the water is crystal clear.
We found this area seven or eight years ago, using it as a short cut on a  circular route from north Largo Sound to south Largo sound, but never realized how alive the bottom was until a few years ago and then last year we tied our kayaks at the mouth where it meets the Atlantic and snorkeled it, which we will do again this year on our next trip to it.
On todays trip we hovered over schools of  Parrotfish, (Stop Lights and Midnights), French Angle Fish, Sargent Majors , jacks and of course Mangrove snappers.  In several places we had spiny lobsters peering up at us as we peered down at them. On the way we passed a Nurse Shark that never even paid attention to us we were drifting so slow, and then on the way back we passed two more that were laying side by side on the bottom, the largest being four or five feet long
  Going and coming back in the sound we saw two Lemon sharks.
  On our return I topped off the day by tipping over. Notice I said: ?I tipped over? the kayak stayed up right.
We were in the Flats of the sound, and after having been in the kayaks for about seven miles decided it would be nice to get out and stretch our legs. I headed for the  shallows and when we were in about two feet of water on top of what looked like a nice sand bottom put one leg over the side and onto the bottom. I made the mistake of putting all my weight on it in order to bring the other leg up and out, and it just sunk in mud and kept sinking. I jerked my in boat leg out, and away I went plopping  in the water.  After a little bit of berating myself, I actually enjoyed wallowing in the  83 degree bath tub like water. I just had to watch out that I didn?t sit on or step on any of the thousands of  beautiful upside down jelly fish, (Cassiopia) that covered the bottom
Over all, the bottom viewing was as good as it gets and was well worth the ten mile round trip to our hidden waterway gem.
The next time to it we?ll have our our snorkles , fins and face masks and  swim with our underwater friends

Miles paddled for the day = 10.8

Very nice!  You certainly seem to be able to identify what you are seeing!  Is your kayak inflatable and why so long?

My wife and I both race our kayaks, (when we are not nature watching like the other day) and also do long open crossings to off shore Keys.
A longer narrow kayak is much faster than a short one and with a spray skirt can handle rougher water better .

No our kayaks are not inflatables. I strongly advise anyone getting an inflatable unless you are just wanting to do short close to shore paddles.
The wind can play havoc with you, and they bare very slow.
With that said, there are a few high end ones, but I still wouldn't want one, and between canoes and kayaks, we have thirteen

Jack L

Thanks.  Been thinking about getting a kayak for fun and possibly some fishing.  Haven't figured out how to carry one with my rig and with the weight lifting limits of my old age.  Guess I might have to settle with just getting an inner tube.  ;)

I'll bet, (a Margarita) you are a kid compared to me !
We carry two long sea kayaks and a 17 foot canoe on the roof of our pickup truck and haul a 25 foot travel trailer.
You would be amazed at all the old geezers down here in the keys that  have kayaks that they fish from.

Jack L

Kid?  Sounds like two old goats chatting- just kidding! 
What is your 17footer made of, and how heavy is it?  Electric motor?  Wait a minute.  If a trailer is a "pit in which to throw money" and a boat is a "hole in which to throw money", then how long does it take to reach China?  Just thinking.  :eek:

The 17 foot canoe is made out of Kevlar and weighs 44 pounds.
I think from the factory it was 39 pounds, but I have made some modifications like a second sliding seat.
There is no need for an electric motor with it.
My wife and I are the motors.
We also have a racing one that is 18'6" long and weighs only 29 pounds

Jack L

It's on my wish list and I've been looking at possibles.  It would be nice if I could find a couple of kayaks that would deflate to the size of a tea cup  :( .  That won't happen; so somehow we will have to master the art of storage and the religion of riddance (of stuff). 

I love my 5th, but I suspect your Tiffin will have a lot more storage space.  I still have a few more winter months to get organized, though ... so we'll see what happens  :)

I have seen a lot of kayaks strapped vertically on the back of fifth wheelers.
There are several here right now at Long Key state Park

There are also options for front mounting a T bar to your front bumper and putting a roof rack on your truck cab.

Not trying to sell you anything, just trying to help with some suggestions

jack L

TravlinOn said:
Haven't figured out how to carry one with my rig and with the weight lifting limits of my old age.

Not sure it would work with your rig but I have a friend that has a Thule Hullavator on his car. It makes loading/unloading his kayak very easy, might be worth a look as having a kayak always available is a really swell thing!

Some good ideas and possibilities.  I can no longer lift, carry, or hold up heavy stuff like I used to do; so, I am looking now at inflatables.  I don't like the idea of having to spend a lot of time in the sun pumping up but some mfg's claim to be quick.  Sea Eagle has a couple that I am looking at (click link, then click on the "swivel seat" and the "Pro Carbon".  Light weight, storable, fast(?), stabile(?) and versatile(?).  Expensive, for sure.

https://www.seaeagle.com/FastTrackKayaks/385ft

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom